extreme78

Line twist on my first AFF jump

So going up in a plane for my AFF level 1 jump I was way more concerned with the canopy contol and landing it then a freefall. Im a fit guy and tought that arch wont be a problem.... lol was I wrong :-).
After exiting the plane with my instructor I was trying to get in to good body position and never got comfortable, on my belly at all time, just not arching enough. Did the practice touches, lock on, waved and pulled.....
Felt the canopy open, slowed down, all felt good except I couldn't look up. I guess I was spinning a little when I pulled because when I forced myself to look up I had a line twist, about 5-6 times. Canopy was square and stable ,so instead of panicking I started untwisting the lines. It sucks that there is noting to push of out there :-)
After 5 or 6 spins to the left everything went back to normal. Almost stood it up on landing.

Im happy that I kept my cool and was able to fix it.
Did two more jumps that day, had to repeat second one(damm arch :-)...). Stood up the last two jumps. Ready for level 3 and cant wait.
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.

So going up in a plane for my AFF level 1 jump I was way more concerned with the canopy contol and landing it then a freefall. Im a fit guy and tought that arch wont be a problem.... lol was I wrong :-).
After exiting the plane with my instructor I was trying to get in to good body position and never got comfortable, on my belly at all time, just not arching enough. Did the practice touches, lock on, waved and pulled.....
Felt the canopy open, slowed down, all felt good except I couldn't look up. I guess I was spinning a little when I pulled because when I forced myself to look up I had a line twist, about 5-6 times. Canopy was square and stable ,so instead of panicking I started untwisting the lines. It sucks that there is noting to push of out there :-)
After 5 or 6 spins to the left everything went back to normal. Almost stood it up on landing.

Im happy that I kept my cool and was able to fix it.
Did two more jumps that day, had to repeat second one(damm arch :-)...). Stood up the last two jumps. Ready for level 3 and cant wait.

I had line twists almost all the way thru aff and a few after then. Just keep working on it and you'll start seeing when you're turning so you can fix it.

Blame the packers, and they'll blame you. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

To add to what oblixtim said always check your canopy from top to bottom and fix problems from bottom to top. For example if you have a stuck slider and have line twists you can't fix the stuck slider until you fix the line twists. Also a problem you identify at the top of your check may necesitate a chop so better to not waste the time fixing the lower problem.

There are various theories as to why many AFF students see line twists on the pretty regular basis but the most common thought is that with having one or 2 instructors with the student it causes a bigger burble and the Dbag tends to bounce around more than it would if the instructors weren't there. Packing and body position play a role in line twists.

I think I had line twists on all my static line jumps except one...I know that they say you get them about 90% on S/L and after I was done with static line I have had one line twist after that. I would have blamed it on my packer, but I pack all my own so damn!

I didn't have ONE off heading opening or ONE line twist through all of AFF and well into my coached jumps.

Right before my 19th jump, I was talking about with an instructor about line twists. I mentioned that I'd never had line twists, or even an off heading opening.

Jump 19 was a coached jump, and it was fun. I deployed the pilot chute and, with no hesitation, got totally slammed. I spun up (not the parachute, but me) and had line twists down to my head, pinning my helmet down to my chest. I could see the ground between my feet, and could see on my altimeter that I wasn't losing altitude very fast, so I figured I'd hang around for a minute. It started to slowly unspin me. After a spin or four, I could get my hands up between my helmet and the risers to pull em apart.

I had been bragging about how lucky I'd been for never having even one line twist. Next jump I got line twists worse than I even thought was possible. I learned my lesson: Don't brag about the absence of undesirable things happening to you!

Congrats on your jumps! And good job staying calm on your first jump!

Hi xtr78,
Yahoo, ya' had a twist!! 'Doesn't necessarily mean, you were spinning, 'could'a been, the bag did the spinning!! It happens. I don't care how stable you are, whether you were flippin' or rollin' it doesn't matter!! Ironed out pak job or trash pak, the canopy will do what ever the he2xL it pleases!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

LOL, so true. Today on my first jum I was so confident with my landing that I almost had to PLF...
Took it back a noth and stood the rest 3 landings.
Anyway, Im one very happy guy todsay, passed level 4 thru 7 today and finished my AFF :-) :-) :-)
Most of all, it became less fear and more fun! Looking forward to MANY safe and fun jumps.
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.

Once again the moderators here have chosen to delete a bunch of perfectly innocent messages. So now it's time for some payback once again. Tsk tsk. It's too bad they continue this program of self-induced punishment. It would be so easy if they just left those innocent messages alone, and public. But, when they fucka wit me, I fucka wit them. So here we go again.

Did you note your altitude when you started kicking out?
Did you note your altitude when you got out of it?
Did you do your normal canopy controlability/steerability check?

Good to get that first one out of the way early. Now you know you can handle simple line twists.
:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

bqmassey

I didn't have ONE off heading opening or ONE line twist through all of AFF and well into my coached jumps.

Right before my 19th jump, I was talking about with an instructor about line twists. I mentioned that I'd never had line twists, or even an off heading opening.

:D:D
I remember that!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239