Stewie

Monterey Bay area DZs

I'm moving to Monterey next month and would like some opinions on DZs within 90 minutes of there. I've heard of weather concerns, tandem factories, etc. So you California people, please chime in on where you jump and why you love it!
"Fuck that. I'll take a good ass-pounding over a bj any day." -- pyrotech

Monterey has 2 DZ's in about 15 miles apart. You have Monterey and Hollister to the north.

As far as California, usually a morning marine layer that burns off. More inland (Hollister), it burns off real early.

California has many, many DZ's to choose from. We're spoiled all year round with our weather, too. :$

"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

You dont want to come to Lodi then for the $13 jumps, or the 2 Otters, Beech 99, or the KingAir 200, that would be crazy. The tandems can be by the hundreds on the weekend, but they have a plane solely for them. The DZ also has alot of freefying, belly flying, CRW, and the largest flock of wingsuits in the US jumping there.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I did my aff at skydive monterey bay, and it is a sweet drop zone because of, 1: 15,000 and 18,000 are all they go to, so you are gunna get some nice altitude. 2: The view is ultra kick ass. 3: the plane is fast as hell.
Reasons why it probably won't be your home dz: Not very many fun jumpers. They run the airplane in lots of 3-4 loads at a time, and they are hot loads that pick up at the LZ (cameras pack at the lz, fun jumpers can also, but its not much fun) If you decide to pack at the hanger you may only get 1-3 jumps in per day.
Monterey is a cool dz, don't get me wrong. But I will say, that Lodi is my home dz now and they do LOTS of loads!!

P.S. Hollister is nearby as well, and I have not been there so I cannot comment although I hear that it is kick ass, and I am planning on going there soon.

Moral of the story: Try em all!

Please, could you explain how they manage to have a $13 jump ticket ?? ?($15??) altitude jump??? while it costs almost twice at most other DZs?????

They lose money on every jump, but make it up in volume.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Bill Dause, the Lodi DZO, has some of the cheapest jumps in the known universe. He has never been a money grubber. I used to make $5 jumps at Pope Valley when he ran it. I send lots of tandems his way just to thank him for the decades of reasonably priced jumps he has given me. His tandem prices are insanely low too, about half of what some of the competition charges.

I like Monterey (which is actually located in nearby Marina) for a couple of reasons. I know some of the old timers there and enjoy their company and advice. It has gorgeous ocean views. It has cheap 18K jumps ($28 last time I was there). It is near Monterey which has great sights and shopping for the non jumpers in your party. Lodi and the nearby towns can be pretty boring for a non jumper. The King Air 200 at Monterey is a ROCKET SHIP! I was at 18K in well under 10 minutes. I actually like slow long airplane rides in old radial engined planes planes like DC 3s and Twin Beeches, but them days are gone. If you are going turbine, you might as well go fast.

We are blessed with an abundance of good DZs in the SF Bay Area. You should try all of them. If you are going to be living in Monterey you will probably make the local DZ your home DZ just out of convenience.

We even have an urban tunnel in Union City that you will definitely want to fly in. With half a dozen local DZs, a tunnel, a gorgeous coastline, moderate weather and a short drive to a world class city like SF, you are definitely moving to the right area.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.