pack40

I AM BEFORE FIRST NIGHT JUMP PLS HELP.

I hope somebody can help me.
Next weekend if the weather will be good I will have the possibility to have night jump(s).

My problem is how to illuminate my altimeter.
I have a Sapphire (Metric) altimeter.

My idea was:

I cut the cover page of a document folder (pretty strong paper). Applied some scotch tape, a broken ruler -for more strength- and some "sponge" (I do not know the name of it, it is some kind of an insulation material) to have a something what I can put on the chest strap to hold the flash/torch.

The attached image shows it.

You think it is OK?
If you have some advices for the jump please tell them. Although I will jump a round chute so even with my little 44 jumps the best advice is to close my legs and face the wind.

OVER

alldz.jpg

That looks like it would work. Tape the light down to your holder. I would recommend buying little glow sticks and tape them to the face of the altimeter. They are not too bright for night vision and have always worked well for me.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Thanx but we use ripcords so I do not have such a PC that you have.
And I would not put anything in the "spring drouge chute".

But the idea is good. Usually my club who owns the chutes writes sowehere on the risers/canopy/container
with alchoholic pen "FRO HIGH REWARD CALL..."
maybe it works.

OVER

The problem is that here in Hungary I only saw the big chem lights in a military shop. But as I think I will
jump from a maximum of 2000m one option is that I simply count the seconds -which I really do not like-.

My only problem is that the wind will blow it away although the designer (me :-)) did a pretty good job. I will try it first at a normal jump see how it works.

OVER

Trying it first on a daytime jump is perfect. Your design looks OK -- the only thing I might change would be to tape over the part of the light that is facing your face, so that any glare is reduced. Reflected light is better than direct light, even if it's red.

Also, go into a completely dark room to see if you can see the altimeter well enough.

Have fun on your night jump.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Cylume is great but in addition a pen torch gaff taped to your helmet is a great back up and good for landing. Position it by aiming the light where you are looking and then tape it down, hand on switch as you exit and switch outside the aircraft works a treat.

Plus when you look up to check your canopy release brakes it works well.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I enjoy doing night jumps alot and there is some anxiety in doing them. One trick I was taught was to tape the chem light stick to my helmut with gaffer's tape. Then when I bring the altimeter to my face to read it the chem light is bright enough to see it.
The chem lights are suprisingly bright. I was also amazed to find out how little gaffers tape was required to hold the chem light to my helmut. It did not budge at all.
I would also suggest using an audible altimeter.

JJ
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Have fun! Night jumps are great. Assuming there will be a full moon (as there should for a novice night jumper) you will be surprised how bright it is in freefall and under canopy at night.

I am NOT recommending it, but an altimeter with a white background is easy to read for most people in full moon light without a dedicated light.

There were several excellent suggestions in the replies above.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

We use the large chem lights on night jumps, but use gaffers or duct tape to block out all of the light except for a small slit to illuminate the face of teh altimeter. It is then taped over the face of the altimeter resting over the high altitudes, but lighting the 6000' to 0'(2000m-0m) very well. The beacon strobe is usually strapped or taped to the lower leg or gaffer tapped to the top of the helmet (good for overall visual observation and for checking the canopy).
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

Today I could buy 2 chem lights.
Interestlingly according to Hungarian regualtions for
night jumps you only have to have a torch to check
you canopy after it is opened. You do not have to illuminate yourself nor your altimeter or stopwatch -I do not think nowadays would anybody jump with a stopwatch- if the freefall time is less than 10 seconds.
I would suspect the altitude will be 2000m or maximum 3000m, so I will use my
MAID Multipurpose-Altimeter-Illuminating-Device.

Oh another question, if during the descent I will took a picture with a simple automatic camera will it work. My friend say it will not because I can use very
sensitive (fast) film, but as the lenses of the cheap(shit)camera will not be open for long time I won't get a clear picture. Any Ideas?

OVER

I've got some pictures taken during a night jump in freefall. The photographer used a strobe, and carefully monitored his position to avoid blinding the jumpers in the formation.

Taking a picture of your canopy should be possible; be very careful taking a picture of other jumpers because you don't want a bright light in their face even for a little.

And yes, very fast film would be necessary. There's a video forum here on dz.com that might have a whole lot more answers for you.

Wendy w.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I did it!

Unfortunately I did not bring the camera with me. I had the camera, but I did not buy the film for it.
My friend had a digital camera but, we did not want to take it up as after we jumped the plane landed and flew again with some passengers so we could not secure the camera.

The jump was perfect. Although during the ride up everybody was asking "Where is the airport? That is the airport?" The airport/dz is at the outskirts of a city called Szeged. The view was fantastic I could see all the lights of the city, its a small city (pop 200,000) but it was unbelievable.

The city is 10km north from the Yugoslavian border, we saw Yugoslavia, everybody made some jokes what if we land in Yugoslavia.

I wish I had a camera with me when my instructor told the jumpmaster that my friend and me are jumping with round-chutes. The guy was shocked.

Exit was at 2500m, I was open at 750m, the wind was a bit strong. Only one guy from the first load missed the airport (1.5km x 1.5km). BTW how can anybody miss a DZ/Airport with a ram-air chute if I can make it with a round which is 3 times slower?

AND

Maybe next weekend I can finnaly jump with a ram-air chute. I did the "test" which was an instable exit, back-loop, 360 left turn, 360 right turn (well the back-loop was not reallly good). But I am really scared I liked rounds because you could do everything with them open anyhow no worries.

The rig what I will jump has a Raider main?
Is it true that it is not really a student canopy?

I will post some pictures we made at the DZ

OVER

Congratulations! Night jumps are cool, aren't they? And there's nothing wrong with doing a night jump with a round.
Wendy w.

Raider main

You dont say what size of main.
My first set of gear had a Raider 220 which I jumped at
jump 35, down from Manta 288 student gear.I had a nice tip toe landing.
Raider is an F111 9 cell.
Also will you have radio instruction for flare?
Try to do your first jump on it on an average wind
day 5 to 8 mph, rather than a no wind.
Do several practice flares high.

Andrew

I do not what is the size, sure I've heard it but can't remember. I hope this week we can finish the exams
and jump in the weekend.

I think I will have a radio, but it is not essential for me I have to learn to controll the canopy by myself.

OVER

It is not essential for me

Always remember safety first
Couple years ago we had a jumper come to the
DZ who had a D licence, Riggers ticket.
Hadn't jumped for 22 yrs, had over 500 jumps
mostly rounds.
we put a radio on him for the first jump.
I had to show him how to pack a square.
Look at Deuce's downsizing story in Talkback.
Experience in one area does not transfer right
away to another.

Be safe, have fun

Andrew.B|

I will have a radio for sure, but I have to learn everything. Anything can go wrong with the radio.
When the begginers start to jump (round static-line)
I feel that they do not pay attention to controll the canopy themselves because they have the radio.
This gives them false confidence.
When I started to jump 3 years ago, my instructor was really keen on controlls and I had to reach at least the runway without the radio. Although with round chutes (even with steerables) much is depending on the jumpmaster.

Oh, check out the pic of the night jump (I am in the green overalls) we scared the whuffos a bit.

OVER

PANA0018.JPG

PANA0067.JPG

Like any other safety device radio is just a back up.
Like your job on the light for alti.
I might get a jump next weekend.
The DZO shut the DZ for the winter, except for
the occasional weekend.
Watching the weather all week hoping it stays nice.

AndrewB|