Broke

Summer boogie seasion

So lets just say someone doesn't have a lot of cash to make every boogie.

How does one choose which boogie to make durring the summer?

I have heard awesome things about Skyfest and Lost Prarie, but I also had an awesome experiance jumping at Summerfest last summer at SDC. So many boogies so little cash
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

For me it's usually about cost/benefit ... at least to some extent. In the summer, I tend to stick to boogies relatively close to home (reasonable driving distance or short flight) so I don't have to spend money/time on travel and can spend more time at the boogie. That's why my boogie season usually includes the two big NorCal boogies (2 hour flight), plus Lost Prairie (that's a 10 hour drive and is my "big boogie" for the summer where I go for more than a weekend), and the All of the Above Boogie at Skydive Oregon (a four-hour drive), and the Eloy Holiday Boogie (3-hour flight).

Anything else is going to depend on a lot of other factors. I'll travel a bit farther in the winter in search of better weather. If I'm traveling for work (these days Phoenix is about the only place I go), I'll pop in to a DZ or a boogie to take advantage of the fact that work is paying for it.

I like to meet new people, but I also like to be surrounded by friends so most boogies these days are a balance of that - familiar places and faces but there's always new people to meet.

For me, it's rarely about the planes or the organizers ... it's about the people I know will be there. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Being new, I didn't realize there was so much in the northwest area. I had looked at Lost Prairie, but I have to go on a field trip with one of the classes I'll be teaching this summer that week. I'd like to get around a little and get to meet a few people. Where is Skydive Oregon and where in NorCal do you go? I lived in California most of my life and northern in my mind is usually different that others.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Being new, I didn't realize there was so much in the northwest area. I had looked at Lost Prairie, but I have to go on a field trip with one of the classes I'll be teaching this summer that week. I'd like to get around a little and get to meet a few people. Where is Skydive Oregon and where in NorCal do you go? I lived in California most of my life and northern in my mind is usually different that others.

LP goes over two weekends and the week in between - even if you can come for a few days it's worth it.

Skydive Oregon is in Molalla, just south of Portland. Their boogie is the last weekend of August and is a really fun smallish boogie. In Northern California, the American Boogie at Skydance in Davis is usually at the end of June, and the Byron Boogie (at Bay Area Skydiving) is in September.

Kapowsin in Shelton,WA had a couple of boogies last year, too (their grand re-opening boogie in July, which was a one-time thing), and the Leap For Lupus Boogie, which is a great fundraiser, and which will be repeated, probably in August.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hmmm, with Lost Prarie being two weekends, I would be able to make one of them, the first one I think. I got my MA at Davis and have a brother who only lives a couple of hours from there, but that time of year I'll be teaching summer quarter to earn money for gear. Gotta feed this new addiction! I drive to Portland fairly often so that's a possibility too. Thanks for all the info. Now I've got to do some planning....money, gear, time....money, gear, time......
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I am still a low timer so a lot of the big name organizers don't impress me. After all they usually only organize big ways and such. As long as they have someone organizing some fun RW jumps for low timers I am all about that. Which is why I had so much fun at summerfest.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

what about hellaherb in switzerland? we'll have two PAC's next year, balloo and helicopter jumps as usual, some awesome freefliers, swoopers, rw-coaches.. :P

and you'd get to meet me! which is about the best reason you'll get ever as a repsonse!!!

plus, some of the nicest staff around. we get a lot of americans that want to do tandems, since its close to lucerne.. they all love it!

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I am still a low timer so a lot of the big name organizers don't impress me. After all they usually only organize big ways and such. As long as they have someone organizing some fun RW jumps for low timers I am all about that. Which is why I had so much fun at summerfest.

Doc and I are just starting to go to some boogies....more this year than before.
For us Prairie is a staple due to the people that go. Almost all of the jumpers from our DZ go to this boogie and how can we resist an Amazon hug, flashing with shell666, hanging out at the lake.....and then there is the lang brewery. We made an attempt to go to the endless summer boogie in sandiego but the fires kept us from jumping. We did get to jump in elsinore which was a kick. We are headed to sebastian at the end of the month for the holiday boogie......we just happen to have a condo there the first week in january and it coincides with the boogie - didn't know that when we signed up for it, but it is definitely an additional benefit. We are also talking about doing the Leap for Lupus, the Bitterroot boogie and I want to go play with Beth and Gia (if they are going) at the Chicks Rock this next year.

I think in the end for us it has to do more with the people that are going to be there than anything else. Getting to hang out and jump with our friends means the world to the both of us.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I want to go play with Beth and Gia (if they are going) at the Chicks Rock this next year.

I have never made it to the Chicks Rock Boogie :( Maybe I'll actually make it this year and maybe I'll actually be jumping who knows... that is way to far out ot plan for!

I want to go play with Beth and Gia (if they are going) at the Chicks Rock this next year.

I have never made it to the Chicks Rock Boogie :( Maybe I'll actually make it this year and maybe I'll actually be jumping who knows... that is way to far out ot plan for!

oh....but think of the trouble we could get into:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~

During SkyFest we average 16 LO's on hand each year to cover everyones needs all the way down to 2 ways. Some are big name jumpers some are not, hell one was even named Bigun;).

There are alot of good events out there that can cover your needs, just keep your head on a swivel and try not to be put on dives you may not be ready for yet.

We will be announcing dates and location very soon for 2008 so I hope to see you there.

Be well

J

I think the ting that made Summerfest so fun was just the positive attitudes of all the people I was jumping with. The sized jumps ranged from 2-ways to a 9-way, and just about everything in between. Terry from skydive Arizona was organizing, and he was awesome. B-rad (I am not sure where he is from) was organizing as well I only got on one jump that he organized, but it was awesome as well. I believe they were both orriginally from SDC though.

I think the thing that I really liked about summerfest was even though there was a lot going on it still had a low key feel to it. No one was really rushing to the plane. The organizers made sure that I was comfortable on the jumps.

You know there really was a lot that I can say, and I would probably still leave something out.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I think the ting that made Summerfest so fun was just the positive attitudes of all the people I was jumping with. The sized jumps ranged from 2-ways to a 9-way, and just about everything in between. Terry from skydive Arizona was organizing, and he was awesome. B-rad (I am not sure where he is from) was organizing as well I only got on one jump that he organized, but it was awesome as well. I believe they were both orriginally from SDC though.

I think the thing that I really liked about summerfest was even though there was a lot going on it still had a low key feel to it. No one was really rushing to the plane. The organizers made sure that I was comfortable on the jumps.

You know there really was a lot that I can say, and I would probably still leave something out.

Terry is indeed an excellent organizer. You are right, Summerfest doesn't have that frantic feel that some boogies have. The head-down world record was cool to watch, too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You get a lot of bang for your buck at couchfreaks. Free beer, hog roast, chili feed, pork chop dinner, cadilac hot tub, etc, etc. It is an awesome boogie and it has a great vibe. It too has LOs for every skill level. Did I mention they polyester party, the best dressed contest, and the other nightly theme parties? :)

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Terry took a while to dial in his spots. The first jump I was on with him was the 9-way where I landed out. Even the free fliers in that load landed out. Although I heard that the people who tracked north and west made it back to the DZ, but everyone who tracked south and east well that is another story.

As for the concerns of corn at Couchfreaks, well there is plenty of corn around SDC, and beans.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

mmmmm....we are thinking about doing couch freaks this year. Could be dangerous!!!!!

Just buy some full body armor to jump in and you should be good..and a really good full face helmet.

Landing in the field CORN that is 12'+ high with each ear of the stuff that is 3" + thick and 15"+ long will be so much fun especially at the end of the summer when it is at its peak size and starting to harden and dry out a little.....kinda like swooping thru a gauntlet..but the body armor should keep the bruising down.

Flaring above it.. not a good idea... its a long drop once your canopy stalls..and you may want to go with going down the rows...... it really does add to the guantlet experience nicely.

This is advice for any of the CORN State Boogies after mid July in the northern tier.

Technically you land on the airport.. but if a spot is off.... well its been my experience that more spots were off than not off when I am not spotting.:ph34r:

mmmmm....we are thinking about doing couch freaks this year. Could be dangerous!!!!!

Just buy some full body armor to jump in and you should be good..and a really good full face helmet.

Landing in the field CORN that is 12'+ high with each ear of the stuff that is 3" + thick and 15"+ long will be so much fun especially at the end of the summer when it is at its peak size and starting to harden and dry out a little.....kinda like swooping thru a gauntlet..but the body armor should keep the bruising down.

Flaring above it.. not a good idea... its a long drop once your canopy stalls..and you may want to go with going down the rows...... it really does add to the guantlet experience nicely.

This is advice for any of the CORN State Boogies after mid July in the northern tier.

Technically you land on the airport.. but if a spot is off.... well its been my experience that more spots were off than not off when I am not spotting.:ph34r:

Merry Xmas Jeanne,

heeeeheee...thanks for the heads up. I am not sure where we are going to end up other than prairie, bitterroot and then possibly the leap......but am definitely keeping options open;)
DPH # 2

My home DZ is in a CORN state and I have not yet landed in a corn field. At Skydive Chicago there are lots of outs that aren't corn fields, and the main LZ is really huge anyway.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Definitly come to couchfreaks this year. It is always a good time and dangerous women are always appreciated :)
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Definitly come to couchfreaks this year. It is always a good time and dangerous women are always appreciated :)

me....dangerous....never....I am nothing but an angel:):):):):):)

OK...you can all quit laughing now:ph34r::ph34r:
DPH # 2

Riddle: If cost is of concern as it is for all, what if you attended a boogie where the jumps were free? Stay tuned everyone!! It's coming!!

Place: Skydive Carolina
Date: June 6-8

More details to follow.
Don't Miss CarolinaFest 2012!
http://www.carolinafestboogie.com
May 29 - June 3, 2012