Breezejunky

Need Travel Advice for Empuriabrava

I'm thinking of going to the Empuriabrava boogie for Christmas. Since I'm going it alone, only speak English and have never been to Europe, I would love some traveling tips. Their website gives lots of directions but seeing it written down and doing it are two different things.
Girona, Perrignan and Barcelona are the three closest airports but I can’t tell by reading their website which one I should look into flying to. Price is usually a factor but if it’s 10% more money to save 30% more hassle – well I’d rather pay the money so that’s the kind of stuff I need to find out.
Any North Americans out there with recent first hand experience who can help?

Thanks
Rhonda

Depending on where in the UK you will be flying from to get to Spain.
Cheap airlines from UK to Spain or France are Easyjet and Ryanair.
Easyjet flys to Barcelona which is approx 2 hour drive to Empuria and Ryanair flys to Perpignan(France) approx 1 hour drive to Empuria and also Girona(Spain) about 40 minutes drive to Empuria.
Flights generally cheapest midweek to midweek flights but of course getting near to xmas you are gonna get ripped off so book as early as you can.
If you are hiring a car then check car pickup is at airport cos not all of them are.
If you want to get picked up then ring DZ and there may be a friendly/starving hungry skydiver who will pick you up from airport cheaper than a local taxi firm.
At Girona there is the bus which drops you off not far from the DZ.
Email Regan at the DZ for loads of good advice and jokes,he is the load organiser for belly stuff amongst other things.
Whatever you do have loads of fun
Steve
;)

Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

We just spent the whole summer in Empuria running the FS School, it was fantastic. The first language on the dropzone is English and the staff and jumpers are incredibly friendly. Easiest airport to arrive is Girona, but there are no direct flights from the U.S. Flying to Barcelona is easier from the U.S. but can be pretty expensive. Getting a cheap deal to London is often easier and then look for flights to Girona. www.ryanair.com (from London Stansted and London Luton and www.flythompson.com from London Gatwick (it is spelled Gerona on the Thompson website). Bear in mind that when you start using low cost airlines, their baggage allowance is tiny. If you are travelling with a rig, book a sporting bag allowance (about $30) will get you up to 32kg in one bag and will save you tons of money at the airport.
If you are there for a week, rent a car on the airport at Girona www.holidayautos.com or www.travelsupermarket.com it is very cheap an easy drive (45 minutes) and you will enjoy having transport.

If all 3 airports are similar in price to you (or the price difference isnt that big of a deal) and you plan on renting a car to get around, then I would say Barcelona is the better bet. Its the bigger airport, so car rental places will be more likely to have english speaking staff (never had a problem there with that myself: I speak a little spanish, but relied on english most of the time there).

I havent been to Girona, but i would bet english is more limited there, but, since they get a lot of cheap flights from the UK, they may be OK too. Dont know what the rental car scene is like there.

I'm french, and my dad is from Perpignan, so I'll say it: dont count on that many english speaking help there.

The drive from any of the 3 places is pretty straight forward if you speak to the main highways. The small roads following the coast from Barcelona is longer, fairly straight forward, but amazingly beautiful.

The local hotels in Empuria will have english speaking staff most likely, even the smaller places. The town is a huge destination for Germans in summer, so multilingiual staff is standard.

Learn a few words in spanish, and you'll be even happier!
Remster

Actually you are wrong, I fly into girona and their english is quite good, once I even gave them a call to make sure they stayed open a bit later since the plane was coming in after midnight, no problem.

All major car rentals are represented and it should not be any problem finding a car that fits. Ryanair flies to girona and you can also book cars trough their homepage.

So if you have they choice i would actually say girona, it is closer and getting to Empura is pretty much as straightforward as can be, I did it with the crappy turist maps they give you at the car pickup :)
And in the pubs and resturants, they pretty much all speak some english, otherwise "grande cerveza por favor" usually gets me where im going:)