yjumpinoz

Skydive Atlas

Don't know anything about the quality of the operation from personal experience, but if you listen to the most recent Skydive Radio (#96), one of the hosts (Stump) talks quite a bit about his experience working there as a tandem instructor this year. He didn't say anything negative about the operation.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

One of my friends Joe was out there doing tandems and another friend packing. All they said bad about it was they didn't do as many tandems as they hoped to do. Which happens with offering it for the first time at sturgis. But besides that they said they hope to go back next year.
Maybe joe will chime in.

Can anyone comment on Skydive Atlas from personal experience? It seems a little fishy to me. Kind of like a traveling circus/barnstormer kind of thing. They have advertised jumps at Sturgis and Rocklahoma.

I have been involved with Sean for two years, been to 3 of his events. Very safe and always has very experienced staff.

There is nothing easy about setting up an operation like this with out running into some challenges.

I was at Sturgis and helped Sean with this event. Many lessons were learned for next yea but the jumps went perfectly. Joe even took two physically challenged passengers with no problems. Excellent tandem master IMO.

If you get a chance to see one of his events go check it out, might answer more of your questions.

Hope this helps.

J

It seems a little fishy to me. Kind of like a traveling circus/barnstormer kind of thing. They have advertised jumps at Sturgis and Rocklahoma.

I've known Sean for a couple of years now. There is nothing fishy about it. He has found a niche in the market offering skydives to parts of the country that don't have DZ's. These areas usually don't have the population to support even a cessna DZ but Sean puts a lot of work into marketing to these rural areas and builds a one weekend a year DZ. Its actually a great idea and I hope it works well for him. The events of his that I have been to offer the same tandem and video guys that you'll see working at the local boogies, absolutely nothing substandard.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

There is nothing fishy about Skydive Atlas. I haven't worked for Sean, but I know he has a very good marketing mind and works with the local government and business leader of the area. He has backing and I hope nothing but good comes from his efforts.

He was concentrating on just tandems at Sturgis and didn't try to bring in the experienced jumpers, but he said that was a mistake. I'm sure next year everyone will be invited.

I actually have a very different experience with Skydive Atlas than the rest of the folks who have posted on this string. The one small town boogie that I showed up to for jumping hosted by Skydive Atlas was very disorganized. The guy in charge, sean, was screaming at everyone, which did not make for a very enjoyable time. I was not actually at Sturgis, but I have heard from a number of sources that were that it was more of the same. From a few of the tandem masters I know that went there, they were promised a large number of tandems, which never came true, and some even left mid-boogie due to the lack of work. I even heard that the pilot of the plane that was hired for the boogie was stiffed a significant amount of money at the end....doesn't sound like good business practice. Needless to say, I won't be returning to any events hosted by this organization.

There are a few DZ's around that don't like the thought of other people offering tandems in their state. I know that there are people in Nebraska that don't like his Minden boogie based solely on the fact that he advertises, even thought he is at least 2 to 3 hours away from the nearest DZ. We all saw the crap that happened in Kansas just because someone tried to open a DZ there, people bad mouthing thier own sport to city officals just to shut down the new guy in town.

Several boogies disapoint tandem masters due to weather or lack of customers, some times you can't predict the outcome of an event like that (especially the first year) I'm sure Sean and everyone involved had high hopes. As far as the pilot is concerned "you heard" doesn't cut it when it comes to claims like that. Get it in facts, have the pilot post that if its true. Until then I see nothing but malicious gossip in your post.

If your going to start a new profile and you won't even put your name on it I'm going to say that you did so just to defame someone and that there is a lack of truth in your post.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

I thought this forum was for people to share their personal experiences and ideas. Guess I was wrong. Yes i am new to this forum, so maybe i don't know all the ins and outs, but i certainly am not trying to "defame" anyone. Just trying to answer the original post.

Dave

How is claiming that you "heard" that Sean did something that could be considered a crime (depending on thier agreement) in not paying his pilot a "personal experience" of yours? And if it is not true, that kind of Gossip can do an incredible amount of damage to a fellow skydivers startup business as he attempts to hire staff at other events. Without facts or even the willingness to say who you are, I would say the you ARE trying to "defame" Sean.

This sport never ceases to amaze me at how politcally charged it can get and the extent that skydivers will go, even damaging the reputation of skydiving as a whole, just to hurt a fellow jumper. I'm not saying that you've done this Dave, but if Sean has done some of the things that you claim that information needs to come from the people who were there. The people that (as you may or may not have "heard") were lied to or cheated. Sean is doing a lot to take our sport to people who don't have access to it and all the crybaby mid-west skydivers who don't know jack squat about marketing a business need to not spread rumors about him.

If you read my post, the sturgis boogie was not the only thing I commented on. There WERE personal experiences from a boogie I went to, which was not pleasant. Are you being asked by Skydive Atlas (or paid) to rebut anything negative someone has to say on this forum? It sure seems you have taken way too much of a personal interest at striking down someone's negative opinions about the organization. You don't seem to have any personal information about the pilot/sturgis situation but I would love to hear from those people regarding sturgis, especially the pilot. Is there anyone out there that can provide information about this? If so, please let us know. I think the fact that these people have not spoken up is a bad sign.

I was at the Sturgis boogie, as a videographer, tandem instructor, and "the pilot" who brought our Beech 99 up for the event. Although I think that everyone was hoping that it would be busier (myself included), this was the first year of a new boogie. Events like this sometimes take years to build up. It doesn't necessarily mean that it was run poorly or doesn't have any potential. I think that everyone who was there had a great time and most would probably come back next year. I got a chance to make some jumps over a half-million bikers and had an absolute blast! I think with a bit more work put into it, this could be one hell of a boogie.

Lastly, while I was hoping that our airplane would fly a lot more while it was there, we were paid in full for all of the work that it did.

"we were paid in full for all of the work that it did"

Well, this sentence seems to say it all. Being paid for the work that it did does not mean paid in full. The word going around is that Skydive Atlas promised a certain amount of work for the airplane and that the pilot did not leave with full payment for all that was promised once the boogie ended with a lot less business. This sentence goes along pretty well with that.

If you read my post, the sturgis boogie was not the only thing I commented on. There WERE personal experiences from a boogie I went to, which was not pleasant.

Your actual personal experience, that you didn't like Sean or his boogie, was not what I was commenting on. The fact that you made third hand claims about things you heard that can be very damaging to anothers business is what I had a problem with. Say whatever you want about Sean or his business regarding your experience or personal dislike for him but don't make up lies and spread rumors.

Are you being asked by Skydive Atlas (or paid) to rebut anything negative someone has to say on this forum?

No. I've only met Sean a few times. He seemed like a nice guy, and I'm going to continue to assume that about him until I see facts otherwise, because that is what I would hope my friends would do if someone where posting bad things about me on the internet.

Is there anyone out there that can provide information about this? If so, please let us know.

Sounds like you got your answer above. Like I said earlier, I'm sure Sean was hoping for a better turnout than they had and all of the contract labor (who get paid based on jumps done/hours flown) didn't get in as much as they had hoped, but got paid for the work done. I've been involved in running events before and there is a big risk with ferrying in aircraft and hiring help with this sport. You can never say for sure that jumpers and weather will both turnout well. If they don't you lose, that is the risk you take, I'm sure Sean felt the burn in his wallet at the end of the weekend as much as everybody else.

I think the fact that these people have not spoken up is a bad sign.

That doesn't even make sense. You're going to make outragouse claims, that you can't support, about somebody's business practices and then say that they are true because nobody has posted facts against yours! Well now somebody has and everybody knows that your full of crap. The pilot got paid, you lied. Period.

You don't like Sean and you tried to ruin his reputation with everybody on here. Better luck next time.

Joe.

"don't like sean"

I've only met the guy the one time. Not long enough to develop any likes or dislikes for the guy on a personal level. Why are you trying to turn this into a personal issue? I commented on the operation of the boogies run by Skydive Atlas....enough said. Dude, you should calm down, if you get this worked up everytime someone expresses an opinion you don't like then you are in for a tough road.

Dave

I commented on the operation of the boogies run by Skydive Atlas....enough said.

I would say you went one step furter when you FALSELY accused Sean of not paying his pilots. Please realize that the things you post about people on these forums will turn up with a search for years to come and you can do an enormous amount of damage to someones reputation and thier business. 5 years from now when someone does a search for "Skydive Atlas" I want them to know that your facts were not in place when they read your post and form thier opinions about Sean and his buisness.

Dude, you should calm down, if you get this worked up everytime someone expresses an opinion you don't like then you are in for a tough road.

I am calm, go back and read my posts in your quiet voice and you'll see I'm simply stating the facts.

I would say that the kind of person who spreads lies about others is in for a tougher road than the kind of person who stands up for the truth and defends the names of thier friends.

Dude, you seriously crack me up. First you say you have know sean for years and comment throughout this post on his operation. Then you say youve only met him a few times and that he seems like a nice guy. Now you say your sticking up for a friend. Well which is it? do you know him well enough to be commenting on his operation and trying to strike down everything negative somebody says, or have you only met him a few times and only know what he seems like? i think if you aren't being paid by skydive atlas, then you should be because you are one hell of a promoter for that organization. that'd be a pretty good gig for you. B|

Dave

I met Sean 2 1/2 years ago. I've crossed paths with him on 3 or 4 occasions since then. I would consider him a friend, just like I do many skydivers that I have only met a few times despite the fact that I don't know every detail of thier personal lives.

do you know him well enough to be commenting on his operation

That is a question you should have asked yourself before posting your original post and then having the pilot contridict you.

trying to strike down everything negative somebody says,

For the 3rd time, I'm not striking down everything negative that people say, just they LIES that you are trying to tell. You didn't enjoy your experience at one of his events that fine, you won't return thats fine. THAT is your opinion and I never said anything against that but to come on here and say that he lied to people and didn't pay his pilot (who has now said he did get paid) is unexceptable behavior. That's not your opinion, that is not your personal experience that is slander and I have no respect for people like you.

i think if you aren't being paid by skydive atlas,

Do you really want to drag this out? Trying to change the subject to my relationship with Skydive Atlas is more of an attack than any of my posts, which have been based on facts. Insinuating things that weren't true is what go you into this mess and now your going to try and get out by insinuating that I'm being paid to say this. Whatever.:S