FrancoR

Were to go in Florida for some Freefly?

Hi,

i want to take a little tour of Florida and do some Freeflying. Which DZ in Florida will be busy with Freelflyers during the week? Possibly even with some loadorganizing.
I plan on taking the weekend of the Team Dirty Sanchez Come on I want to Lei You Luau boogie and add a few day before and after the weekend.
For some wingsuiting i might visit Zephyrhills, is this Zephyrhills busy during the week?

Thanks

Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

Can't go wrong with Z-Hills... planes are always flying, you've got Chuck Blue for wingsuits & instruction and there's EC Freefly with John for excellent coaching and his wife Michelle for some fun load organizing - all around good people and none of the elitist/snobby attitude that unfortunately seems to be spreading in the freefly community.

Cheers,
Al
Time's flying, and so am I...
(69-way, 108-way and 138/142-way Freefly World Records)

I hope Z-Hills will be busy, I will be there with 5 others from the UK from 4th March - all Freeflying

Just make sure you call ahead and tell the stinky freeflyers that you will be there and actually want to skydive with them. They are fantastic, and the organizing is free, but if you do not call ahead it's possible that you will only hear crickets near their team room.

Chuck

Ok, thanks for all the tips in here and as pm.

Looks like i will start with Deland on Friday, move on to Sebastian for the weekend and then spend a day or two at z-hills.
Now lets just hope i can get a brake from work.

Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

Good luck with that. Last time I was in Deland I had a hard time finding freeflyers willing to jump with me. I hadn't been there before, so I was introducing myself to people in freefly suits and asking to jump with them.. and people just said no. I wasnt interrupting any team training.. and I dont totally suck either. Norman and Nicole Kent took pity on me (poor me.. ;)) and we made a kick ass jump.. but other than them, I found the hospitality seriously lacking.
Maybe it was just a bad day at Deland but that was my experience. I hope yours is better. :)

I found the hospitality seriously lacking.

I live 35 mins away from Skydive DeLand, but choose to drive 1.5 hrs. to Skydive Palatka, Sebastian, or Z-Hillz for the same reason. :S

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Deland's "vibe" get a bad rep sometimes. [:/] I used to tell people, "It's a great place for coaching, but your better bring your own people to jump with unless you like solos."

The truth is the locals see so many people come for training/coaching and then they leave, never call, never write. :P Some do not speak English and/or really have no desire to be social so the locals tend to leave them alone. The poor things are just a li'l gun shy now. :P

So if you go to Deland and don't make the initial contact, you're probably going to feel unwanted, but once you make the effort to show you're social and aren't just passing through, they will open up.

If you do a coaching dive or two to show your skills and then the coach will hook you up with other jumpers and fun loads. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Thats a load of crap, Bolas. Its inexcusable for fun jumpers to turn away other fun jumpers because they're visitors and not locals. Nobody should have to pay for coaching to prove that theyre good enough to jump at a drop zone. I'd like for some Deland locals to come to a drop zone in Georgia and see how we treat visitors... with hosptiality.

When I transitioned from Colorado to Florida, I found that all Florida dz's were freefly friendly...I didn't have a problem at Deland, Zhills, Sebastian nor the smaller ones. In fact, I spent most of my time at Deland and Zhills...they referred to me as the girl who was the new "plant"...I loved them both. I honestly think that as far as Deland and Zhills goes that they are both used to such volume of teams and new faces that for them to "bond" with you, you need to stick around and be a consistent face around their dz..otherwise you're just a passerby.

Thats a load of crap, Bolas. Its inexcusable for fun jumpers to turn away other fun jumpers because they're visitors and not locals. Nobody should have to pay for coaching to prove that theyre good enough to jump at a drop zone. I'd like for some Deland locals to come to a drop zone in Georgia and see how we treat visitors... with hosptiality.

The people doing the coaching at Deland are generally professional full time skydivers, not weekend jumpers like most of Georgia. They are not the Deland fun jumpers, but they do occasionally organize for them.

It's similar to a tandem factory DZ. The local fun jumpers tend to not bother getting to know a new jumper until they come back once or twice or hang around after dark.

I know I'll sometimes talk to tandem students a little and ask if they had fun and if they'll try it again, but unless they stick around after they've gotten their certificate and video it's just pleasantries.

You don't have to pay for coaching to jump with the fun jumpers, but you may have to "prove" yourself to get on the bigger organized loads which really isn't that uncommon.

Luv ya Bolas but I pretty much lived there at Deland for a year or so and the instructors were not transient...they were locals and were really good at whatever discipline you wanted to work on. I was very pleased with the coaching I received there, especially Scott Miller's canopy control course which I had with Jimmy Trantor.

When I told jumpers that I was planning to go there and even after I went there and told others that I enjoyed my time there, others thought it was a snobby place...my experience was quite different. They have been very friendly and accomodating with me every time I've been there over the past 3 years. I've never had a problem finding people to jump with no matter how many jumps I had in freeflying or on my belly or tracking or wingsuits, etc...I always found some people to jump with without "having to prove myself".

I've heard the complaint that Deland caters to teams but their experience was more than 3 yrs ago..so perhaps they have changed things around there since I started going there.:S

Luv ya Bolas but I pretty much lived there at Deland for a year or so and the instructors were not transient...

I totally agree with you: ;)

The people doing the coaching at Deland are generally professional full time skydivers

Oh, and... ditto. :$

I'm finding these comments very interesting to read since I've called DeLand my home dz for 6 years now. I can tell you, if it was a snobby, unfriendly place, I certainly wouldn't hang around there.

Bolas is right about so many people coming through there that if you don't let people know that you want to jump with the locals, then we won't know. A lot of people come in groups, some come for freefly, Skydive U or canopy coaching, for team training, for tandems, just to hang out, etc., so if you don't say anything we just don't know you are interested in jumping with us.

If you want to find the freefliers, look in the packing hangar or out in the packing tent. You also have to remember that there are many dz's within 2 hours of DeLand, so sometimes you might find that there are fun jumpers missing because they've decided to go as a group to visit another dz for the day or for a swoop comp.

Finally, it's not just DeLand. I've gone to other dz's in FL where none of the locals approached me and I wouldn't have had anyone to jump with if I hadn't been meeting people there. I'll jump with anyone, dz.commer Lindsey even had me doing belly jumps 2 weeks ago!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about an isolated storm of 30%, we get that every day in the summer and it usually doesn't last very long. Rarely does it ever rain all day. I can't get away to jump on a weekday, but I hope you have fun!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon