mr_woosh

skydiving season in SoCal?

might be a dumb question but is there such a thing as skydiving season in SoCal? I do ride my mororcycle throughout the year, but when you go for some canyon riding it gets pretty cold up in the mountains, so I can imagine it gets real cold when you skydive. So when do you guys stop? or do you just put more clothes on?

sorry, total noob to the sport and search did not produce any answers. Thanks! :$

It gets chilly enough at altitude in the winter to wear gloves and long sleeves - some wear scarves or face masks, but not too many.

I was kept on the ground a few days last winter at Perris due to clouds. That's about it.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

It gets chilly enough at altitude in the winter to wear gloves and long sleeves - some wear scarves or face masks, but not too many.

heh - I see that in May too, esp on load 1. I start to worry briefly and then remember that LA folks are *really* wimpy about cold, not just pretty wimpy like us in the Bay Area.

Up here, winter means a slight issue with the cold, and dodging the rain clouds. But certainly no shutdown or having to land on snow. (Which sounds fun for a HnP)

I was kept on the ground a few days last winter at Perris due to clouds. That's about it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I spent most of the months of February and March 2001 on the ground because of rain and low clouds.

There are things that will keep planes firmly on the ground;

Solid Overcast
Rain
Wind

COLD isn't one of them.

Believe me, you don't freekin' KNOW cold until you've flown in the camera seat on a twin otter going to oxygen altitudes with a broken door stuck in the open position.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Need a Whambulance? Try a 206 with the canvas roll up style door with snow on the ground.:P

Yeah, but then you're frozen cold -before- getting on the plane, so you're just numb to it on the way to altitude.;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

...and then remember that LA folks are *really* wimpy about cold, not just pretty wimpy like us in the Bay Area.

I'd say a very accurate assesment.:)

Need a Whambulance? Try a 206 with the canvas roll up style door with snow on the ground.:P

I came close - low 40s on the ground in Monterey, taking a load of 5 big guys in a 206 to 18k. I pretty much fell out of the plane as an exit.

Was it a turbo 206 or piston? Didn't know a piston 206 could even make it to 18K...or take a good hour if it can.