Kuper

AFF4 - I failed twice... what to do?!

Ooh, gotcha.

No worries. Stick with it. Took me 4 attempts to complete level 4. Once I did that, everything else went by like a flash. When it hits you, it's like the puzzle pieces finally make sense... A few million-watt lightbulbs went off in my head on that last AFF level 4 jump, and they've been burning brightly since.
--
Skydive -- testing gravity, one jump at a time.

I KNOW i'll do it someday B|

And as long as you're safe, and you enjoy it, well, what's it matter how long it takes? You pass -- great, you get to make another skydive! You fail -- great, you get to make another skydive!

Also, remember there's no such thing as 'failing' a jump if you live to make another one. It's a constant learning experience, and as long as you keep making jumps, you'll keep learning, at your own pace. That's the important part. :)
--

Keep trying Kuper!!
I went out to do my AFF 4 again. DZ was too busy with tandems, so I didnt get to jump. Weather was bad on Sunday. I did however gather a lot of info, and had every instructor out there giving me advice. So now it is up to me! Relax, Relax, Relax!! They suggested meditation to me.
Good Luck!! I know what you are going through.

This happened to a lot of us and it can be fixed. My problem was I had my hands to far forward. They were either even with my ears or in front of them. When I moved them back about an inch, I hit that point was falling was very smooth and stable.

You probably also need to to toe taps to make sure your legs are even. If you can, get on the floor in front of a mirror. Close your eyes and get into your belly arch position. Do a toe tap, and then open your eyes. Where are your hands and feet?

Also watch the position of your legs. If you don't extend your legs enough, you will be back sliding without knowing it. Remember one of your goals is to fall straight down with sideways, forward or backward movement.

If there is a wind tunnel near you, you may want to spend some time there which would be a lot cheaper than repeating the same level over and over.

Good luck.

Blue skies,

Jim

Do you know the story about Dumbo the elephant? He didn't believe he could fly, but he was given a "magic feather" that he held in his trunk, and when he had it, he knew he was OK and could fly. You need a magic feather.

This is what I suggest: get yourself an object that has meaning to you. then sit with it, and tell yourself it is your magic feather, and that you will think about this feather while you are training for the next jump, while you are in the airplane, and finally, just before you exit, remind yourself that you have. This feather will allow you to arch and relax, if you imbue it with the power.

We human beings sometimes don't have enough belief in ourselves, and by doing something as simple as giving ourselves this belief, we can do anything.

It's worth a try. What have you got to lose?

DJan

I have recently come to the conclusion that we pretty much make our own reality -- although I have experienced this intellectually, just recently it seeped into my consciousness. Here's a scenario I've experienced dozens of times: I get on a jump with some hot jumpers, but I'm nervous about performance. I don't do well, because I want so much to do well. I get into my own way.

I've seen so many students that only need a smile and someone else to believe in their ability to do well in order to have a good outcome. If I am looking for them to perform for me, they don't do well. But if I can reassure them that they have what they need (the magic feather), then they do well.

Skydiving is so much more the ability to relax and arch in freefall than it is thinking about legs, arms, body position, etc. -- at least in the early stages of skydiving. Once you have the basics, then you can concentrate on the frills.

DJan

Skydiving is so much more the ability to relax and arch in freefall than it is thinking about legs, arms, body position, etc. -- at least in the early stages of skydiving. Once you have the basics, then you can concentrate on the frills.

This is what made it so hard for me to continue, for a while. I still have occasional trouble with trying to force my body to fly stable, and while I know it's a losing battle, knowing and doing are two completely different things.
--

while I know it's a losing battle, knowing and doing are two completely different things.

i agree... on ground it can be such a good arch, but on air i can be falling like a piece of wood because of my stiffness . i wanted to jump today or yesterday, but the DZ are grounded because of the wind. who cares about the wind?! @#!* the wind... grrrrr....>:(
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

My problem eventually proved not to be in my arch (I have video on the jump I made before I finally passed that proves it), but in the way I was using my arms. Every jumpmaster I've jumped with has half-complimented and half-complained about my arch (guess I was making them work, hehe)...

who cares about the wind?!

I do, for one... Last few jumps I've made have been in some... interesting winds... Gotta love being yanked around 20 feet from the ground from the turbulence coming in off the trees... And the winds weren't all that bad... Heh

Keep it up, though. Get up to the DZ every weekend -- every day, if you can and they're open. It pays off in the end, big time. The more you hang around up there -- even if you don't jump -- the more you'll relax when you do jump. It's all about the people. :)
--

one word of adice isj ust to relax. its gonna click so fast and the rest of the levels are gonna be a walk in th park. i redid level 4 two times as well, but the jump after was 100% perfect untill i graduated

PCSS # 1 Rookeskydiver
"Its a Wonka Bar"....."Go ahead Charlie open it, lets see that golden ticket"

I jumped today again. the purpose was again - a heading hold dive. not AFF4 and no anything else. just to fall. the jumpmaster (the chiff ...) left me once, caught me, left me again, i started getting a slow turn, i tried to fix it, and then he caught me again till i pulled... he said i just need to be more relexed, and to 'flow' with the turn - and not be so aggressive. i don't know if it's good or bad, but he said next time it's gonna be AFF5B|
i'll probably looked like a real mess in air but i hope it still be fun... B|
i couldn't jump again today because 2 minutes before someone checked my rig (after i closed it, and yes. it's still take me a lot of time) they announced they stop all the work for today. something happend to the brakes of the plane (and we needed to push it from the muddy groung back to the road). i hope it'll be fixed by tomorrow.
till my next (AFF5!) time - blue sky to all of you!

Because i didn't know who you were !
although i heard there one guy who called 'Ori!' but i didn't know whom he called...
do you have a curled hair? or were you with a curled guy and with another one who wore blue-white flowers shorts (i think his name is Tomer...). what were you wearing?!

did you jump yesterday? beacuse i think i saw this group coming just before they grounded the plain...[:/]

but hey - maybe next time (next week... cause today there are hard winds from the east...)

hmmm, no, i dont have a curly hair, and i usually try to keep some distance from guys with flowers on their shorts B|

i was there and jumped, but i guess we where on alternate loads.

anyway, glad to see you are going for AFF5 next time, and i'm pretty sure once "turning" right will not be your main goal, you'll see that everything falls into place...

and, here is me, or at least the way i was when i was young and good looking :D
O

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Ori.jpg

Exactly!

Reminds me my “mentor” who I think is very talented skydiver. It took him 18 jumps to graduate AFFB|.

From my personal experience, I’d like to suggest to minimize the gaps between the jumps. Jump as much as you can and do not get pissed at yourself if you screwed up the level. In other words, do not think about mistakes that you have already made. Concentrate on positive thoughts and relax harder. AFF in tense but as soon as you graduate you’ll have megafun jumping by yourself!

Good luck !