MJB_0321

Norther Virginia DZ Survey

Hey, I'm a novice sport skydiver at best and I'm moving from Hawaii to Northern VA ... I've looked up where all the closest DZ's and chances are I'll try them all, but I was wondering about recommendations in the area. What's the atmosphere on some of those zones, load organizing, camp grounds, friendly, etc.. I could (and have) go to their websites, but all that tells me is what the staff and the operators want me to know ... Thanks
"Good friends will help you move. A REALLY good friend will help you move a body ... let me know if I need to bring a shovel"

"Good friends will help you move. A REALLY good friend will help you move a body ... let me know if I need to bring a shovel"

Sounds like you need to be at Orange. At least based on the Orange jumpers I've met so far. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Skydive The Point
West Point, Virginia located east of Richmond.
http://www.skydivethepoint.com/

A Matriarchal club founded in 1962, very dog friendly. Everyone speaks Australian, Canadian and British fluently.

PAC 750 or Twin Otter every weekend. A Casa on special weekends like Memorial Day coming up.
On Friday afternoons jump the Fireball 182, call first because of limited seating on the Fireball 182.
Large flat grass landing area, river close by and a shit load of trees.

Four Women from West Point were on "Jump For the Cause".
Two men were on the POPs Florida state record in March.
This is THE Home DZ of Carol Clay, the Queen of Free Fall RW (15,000 jumps and still going).
We got class.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

I'll give the home DZ review of Skydive Virginia. After over 2 years of limping by on 182's and borrowed aircraft we have our King Air back in action this month. We've cleared land for new facilities and a larger landing area and are setting the foundation for the new packing area. The DZ has a very friendly vibe. One visiting jumper noted that you could walk up to any two people and be invited into the conversation. In the same respect, while we don't have paid load organizers, if you show up and want to jump, you won't have trouble finding people to jump with. After jumping, everyone hangs out as a large group around the bonfire and either cooks out or goes to a restaurant. We camp along the tree-line of the landing area. We don't have the talent that our neighbor Orange has but we make up for it by sending staff members up there to pee on their gear.B|

Orange and Skydive VA are probably the easiest drives for you. I do know a few people who make the commute to West Point, but summertime beach traffic can be a bear. Other than that West Point is and AWESOME DZ and has a very friendly vibe.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Sounds like you need to be at Orange. At least based on the Orange jumpers I've met so far. ;)

Look, I thought we promised not to talk about that incident?

Well, I'll be coming from Stephens city which is located between, Winchester, Bum fuck Eqyypt and middle of fucking nowhere. The closest DZ that I looked up was the Hartwood airport outside fredericksburg ... any gouge?? Like I said, chances are I'll jump them all to find out for myself, but I'd love to know what to expect. I do love peeing on peoples gear though.

If you like peeing on other people's stuff, then Louisa is for you! Hartwood isn't so much of an up-jumper DZ. Last year it was run in parallel with Orange to throw tandems. I don't know if the function has expanded. One of the Orange jumpers could give you a better idea.

Will see you soon.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Just started jumping at Orange on sunday. Seems like a great place to jump. Alot of really good freefliers. I was the only low timer there except for a few students and alot of tandems. A guy there is offering some freefly coaching with video for just his slot. That tells you alot about that place right there.

Everyone I met is friendly and willing to help. Tent camping is free. I think I heard there is a waiting list for trailer spots. Not really sure though.
Wildcard can tell you alot more about the DZ than I can. I'm just giving you my first impressions. When are you moving to N. VA?

Go to chambersburg, PA. Tell JR that skip sent ya.

chambersburg is a good DZ. safety conscious, quality gear, good plane, good people, no attitudes, plenty of altitude. good outs, good neighbors. highly recommended.

I just used google maps, and chambersburg is 1.5 hours from you, straight up 81. orange is about 2 hours from you.

West Point's the place! Veerrrrrrry friendly people with no attitude issues. It's true that the DZ is surrounded by trees but that's only a problem if you miss the ABSOLUTELY HUGE TRIANGULAR AIRPORT! It's really hard to make a bad spot. Stay away if you don't like approachable people, great parties, dogs, kids, giant landing areas, fun boogies, favorable winds most of the time (except this spring), having your spot made by and jumping with someone with over TEN DAYS worth of freefall, and a DZ that's run by the USPA Director of Safety and Training.
http://www.skydivethepoint.com/
http://www.skydivewestpoint.com/

We don't have the talent that our neighbor Orange has but we make up for it by sending staff members up there to pee on their gear.

That was so incredibly uncool. :| I'm pretty sure they were banned from Orange, and if not they should be. How totally disrespectful.

ANYWAY... I am on staff at Orange, but I will tell you anyway, that Orange is a super cool place all together. The people, the plane, the facilities, and everything else totally rock. I have been there for just over a year and love it. You should definately try them all, as I'm sure you will find one that really suits you. When you show up at Orange, make sure you say hi and bring your beer for you first jumps at the coolest dz ever. ;):P

Well, I'll be coming from Stephens city which is located between, Winchester, Bum fuck Eqyypt and middle of fucking nowhere.

That's funny...I grew up in Stephens City, VA...If that description sounds strange, consider the fact that my high school smelled like ass when the wind blew the wrong direction. The hog farm a couple miles away made even the most interior rooms in the building with no windows smell like SH*T. Ahhhh...Good times