NWFlyer

New Dropzone in Mt Vernon, WA (Seattle area)

Mt. Vernon is about 60 miles north of Seattle. I don't know much more than this - the info below was sent to me to publish in the Seattle Skydivers newsletter. With Kapowsin's new home (latest I've heard on that is hopefully mid-April) and this new DZ, looks like we'll have some exciting new options. :)

A new drop zone will be opening soon at Barker Field in Mt. Vernon. The plan is to be open by April 1, with a big boogie scheduled for Memorial Day weekend with music, food, and the typical boogie parties.

The as-yet-unnamed drop zone will cater mainly to experienced jumpers, with an emphasis on good vibes and a great social atmosphere. Initially the drop zone will run one turbine Porter, and additional aircraft will be brought in as needed. There aren't any license restrictions for the landing area.

Owner Jim Perry is looking for people to help get this drop zone up and running. If you have any ideas you'd like to see implemented, or if you can volunteer some time, or if you'd just like more information about the plans for this drop zone, contact Jim at 425-330-8401.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

So far its sounding very very nice... Right next to I-5.. a nice big landing area devoid of obstacles.... a DZO that jumps.... flies... and wants to have a DZ with a good vibe... with after hours comraderie.... AND and Turbine year round that is less than an hour from where I live.:)

A Memorial Day Boogie might clash with the Kamlops May Meet since Armed Forces Day (American holiday) is Saturday, 200 May 2006, while Victoria Day (Canadian holiday) is Monday, 24 May 2006.
The Kamloops May Meet is a 30+ year traditional opener to the Canadian West Coast skydiving season. It usually involves large aircraft, specialty aircraft, drinking and debauchery, and the occassional skydive.

Maybe some hung-over American skydivers will stop in Mount Vernon for a skydive on their way home to Washington and Oregon.

We wish the new DZO lots of luck.