Brandon Bank, Norfolk, PE38, UK
Brandon Creek, Norfolk, PE38, UK
Brandon Parva, Norfolk, NR9, UK
Brandon, Northumberland, NE66, UK
Brandon, Suffolk, IP27, UK
Brandon, Warwickshire, CV8, UK

Take your pick ;)

BOOM Headshot

Don't go to Target Sky Sports. You can ask Billy about the experience we had there.

Since it is so expensive to jump in the UK, I would almost wait till you come back to the states to visit and we could knock out your "A" and more for cheaper than just jumpin in the UK.

Just a thought.

Fitz
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

Don't go to Target Sky Sports. You can ask Billy about the experience we had there.

Whoa dude! Not defending my home DZ (because it isnt - I am a nethers jumper) but just because you had a less than great time at Hib doesn't mean that you should totally bash it... relax, we all have bad days sometimes!

Rag, look on the dropzones section and check out the reviews - I think you'll find most people are pretty pleased with Target (Hib) - great planes!

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Indeed, I will be jumping at Hib (soon as my BPA membership comes through, and they reopen in Jan).

Did AFF1 there in January this year and was up there the other week, nothing but good vibes from the place.

That said I think Hinton would be closer to you or maybe Langar.

BOOM Headshot

SURPRISE BABY! I didnt expect you to be posting already. That said, Fitz and I had a horrible experience there....DZ was very clique. Hell, no one talked to us, fitz had a hell of a time with his rental gear and having it packed, and blah blah blah. If you chooose to go there (even though its further than 3 others), meet some locals on DZ.COM first and have them take you under their wing. If not, TEXEL in May and we can knock it out there.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Well, since they wouldn't even repack my parachute just because I was an American, yes I will be very bitter. I offered to repack, but they wouldn't let me do that either. I had 2 instructors and a couple locals go ask them whats up, no dice. The packers just lifted their nose to me and grab the parachute off of one of the locals that just got off a jump. After about 2.5 hours of waiting, I went up to the main office and got my money back. I could probably skydive downtown Baghdad and get more respect.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

I'm sorry you got treat this way, but that is NOT indicative of this dropzone.

I've jumped there about 20 times (as a non regular, visiting jumper) and I love the place, couldn't be more friendly.

Maybe you caught someone on a bad day.[:/]

Don't let that put you off, the places in the UK you can get 15,000ft for less than twenty quid are rare.

Hib's is one of the better DZ's.

Word.;)
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Twenty Quid?! whhooooeeee!
In my club you may get 14.000 ft for 11 pounds. The flight over to Sweden is about 10 pounds if booked about a month in advance. We do have a cessna caravan that flies march til october. During the winter we only use our c-182. Message me if you are interested to come over some weekend and make some cheap jumps and have a beer!

Great suggestion but not really a 'practical' one for getting yourself established at a local DZ.
You have to take a chance on the weather ahead of time to get your 'cheap' flight.......rather than look out of the window in the morning and go back to bed because its cloudy....

I have read before about the other two guys experience at Targett Skysports and then as now.....its like ....are you sure ?? that DZ has one of the best reputations in the UK for customer service,progressive attitude and getting you in the sky..
Maybe it was a bad day for you but its certainly not indicative of the service that they give to just about everyone else.

Why did they treat you like that .....were you asking for stuff they dont usually do or being too demanding or something ??
(just a thought....no insult intended)
and what did the front office say when you asked for your money back..? I find it very hard to believe at that point they wouldnt have addressed your problems straight away if you were not satisfied.....its just not like them.

Well, it started out I was invited down by a local that I met while jumpin in Holland. He recommended it so a few of my buddies and myself went to try the place out. We get down there and everyone was extremely nice. They hooked me up with the same canopy I bought the previous time; they reviewed the DZ landing area very well too. Once I landed I was having a laugh with the instructor that took some students out and I asked him if I was allowed to make or not. He was saying they like their own packers to do it. So he took me over to one of the packers and we asked him to packet it. We were not demanding or anything like that. Pretty much I just asked him where he would like me to put the canopy till he has a chance to get to it. And hour goes by and I wonder back in and notice all are done besides mine and he was just hanging out. Of course I thought he was just taking a break. Nope, he grabs one of the other jumpers parachute that just walked in. I go talk to my buddy that invited us down and he went in with me and he asked the packer (nicely) if he would have a chance to get to it next because I was scheduled on the next load. Right before the load went up I went to grab the rig, the packer hanging out again and my parachute in the corner still. That is when I grabbed the instructor, he said he talked to him and it would be packed by the next load. By this time it has been about two hours. I go back in, still not packed I asked him if he could pack it because he again was doing nothing. He lifted his nose to me gave me a dirty look and grabbed a non rental rig and packed for his friend.

That was the last straw... I went up to the front counter and talked to a young lady. She was extremely nice and apologized for the packer and would address it with the owner. Got my money back and went home.

People say don't judge on one experience. But there are times where people just rub you the wrong way and that leaves a lasting impression. Because the way he treated my friends and myself (all US military), I would never suggest they go to that DZ to learn how to jump. If they are already trained and have their own equipment, I would highly recommend that place. Like I also said in my review, they have a couple great aircrafts….

Again this is all my opinion. The guy probably was having a bad day.
#148 Sonic Scrat

So essentially you're saying the DZ, Instructor, manifest/office etc were all absolutely great to you and tried to help you out with the problem you had with one packer (who are in England generally nothing to do with the DZ itself) and when you perhaps understandably got fed up with the packer the DZ refunded you your money even though they did not actually have to and appologised for the way the likely third party packer treated you.

yeah man... I can see why you hate the DZ.

...course you could have just said one of the self employed packers was a twat.

Well seeming he WAS a part of the DZ staff, yes I will put it on the DZ.

So your saying because a member of their staff was refusing to pack the parachute which was preventing me from jumping again, they shouldn't have gave a refund?

Thats just fucked up logic.

All I was saying, I'm not going to refer one of my friends (which raggle is) to a DZ like that for training. If they have their own equipment, go for it.
#148 Sonic Scrat

Well seeming he WAS a part of the DZ staff, yes I will put it on the DZ.

That would be a different matter if that truly is the case. Are you sure it is?

The vast majority of packers in the UK are not actually DZ staff members. Those who are staff members are not generally acting as a member of staff when packing but as an unconnected individual packing for reward.

How do you know this guy was staff and was required to pack your rig for the DZ as part of his staff duties? That would be something of an irregularity in the UK.

I'm just going off of what the instructor was saying. He said that he packs the rental / student rigs and later refered to as staff.... If this is not the norm, I could be wrong. But the DZ still should of been more hard press.
#148 Sonic Scrat

I dunno who exactly was the packer in this instance .......but it does seem like the beef was with the packer here.
For whatever reason ....if what you were saying is true then he /she was being an arse......and I hope when you got your money back you explained 'why' you felt hard done to.....that the packer in question got their ass beaten...

It all does sound a little weird though the way the packer treated you....and I have to say that its something I NEVER heard of whenI was at Target Skysports.....
Student /Hire /Tandem rigs always got the priority of the packers ....always.

Bad day.....1 packer in a bad mood.......not quite sure the whole 'DZ' deserves your slating everytime its name is mentioned on these forums.....:(

I don't post it everytime. I mainly posted this time because I know Raggles.... If anyone wanted to know what I think about TS, then they can read my review under dropzones.
#148 Sonic Scrat

The first time I went to my DZ i was a bit pissed cos of 1 person who tried to delay the first jump for no real reason.

Now under new management an it is fucking brilliant. One bad experience cant give way to a complete blitz of criticism.
Try the place again, you might end up liknig it.

WOW! Here we are again discussing Target. Being I was one of the "friends" with fitz on this day I have to agree with him. We got no love from anyone at the DZ and fitz is just trying to be nice and not flame the whole DZ. The manifest was a little snotty and didnt seem to care if we jumped or not, the jumpers were cliquish (no one even spoke to us...even when we initiated convo), and the packer...well fitz covered the packer.

It just seemed that unless you were part of the regulars, you didnt matter. So, oh well. Probably just a bad day at the DZ or whatever but I cant be bothered. If I ever went back it would only be with some regulars that jump there. Then hopefully the experience would be better. Just my 0.2 worth.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

We got no love from anyone at the DZ and fitz is just trying to be nice and not flame the whole DZ.

"I went up to the front counter and talked to a young lady. She was extremely nice and apologized for the packer and would address it with the owner. Got my money back and went home."

"Don't go to Target Sky Sports. You can ask Billy about the experience we had there"

"I could probably skydive downtown Baghdad and get more respect"

I have addressed the points of your post in order, quoting directly from your friends posts......there seems to be a little conflict in what you both are saying....
I think its fair to say from this thread its clear that actually your friend had issues with A PACKER and not the DZ as a whole.....
As this is an Internationally viewed forumI think its right we make sure we clarify what exactly was the 'beef'.....
ONE packer.....not the DZ...:(

I agree. We should clarify the beef.

We had different "beefs". His was the packer, mine was everything I posted.

I woud like to point out that we both also posted that the DZ/packer may have just been having a bad day.

I'm not writing target off completely, just posting my experience and that I would never go back without a regular.

You sig line rocks brotha!
SONIC WOODY #146

Yes, my main problem was with the packer. My other complaint is the DZ would not get me up in the air until that was repacked. If they would have given me a new rig, have someone else repack or even let me pack it, I would not have such a big gripe.

I shared my experience with another up-coming jumper. There is not a problem with that. I had a legitimate complaint. You guys can flame me all you want. But I will still not recommend this DZ for people training or renting. I would however recommend Paracentrum Texel, Holland. They actual make you feel like family.

Fitz
#148 Sonic Scrat