Snowflake

Canopy Control 101

Gentlemen this is not talkback this is a topical forum, and in light of the horrible weekend we had I think this is a subject that should be taken somewhat seriously

You are right...sorry about that.

Sorry actually it's called Skydive 150 Basic Canopy Control it's by Skydive U it costs 17 bucks, and it's well worth it

Heres the link

http://www.skydiveu.com/flash/videos.htm

Skydive 150 - Basic Canopy Flight: A video and workbook for canopy control; you're not safe until you land. This package contains information about canopy charac-teristics, handling, safety, and accuracy techniques that are developed through a series of ground and in-air practice exercises. Take the mystery out of canopy control***

I read it after my second AFF jump and found the info invaluable(the video that comes with it did nothing for me). In my opinion all the information in it should be required to get your A. The in air drills they have you do are exceptional and give a new jumper a roadmap of skills to aquire(sp) and the means to safely aquire(sp) them

I'm not intending to be flip, but from a couple of things I've seen and heard about, we should remind ourselves that sometimes we aren't safe until we are in the hangar. I've seen intentional (they thought they could swoop their buddy and miss, but they didn't miss) and unintentional collisions (not serious) between landed jumpers on the ground and landING jumpers.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I'm not intending to be flip, but from a couple of things I've seen and heard about, we should remind ourselves that sometimes we aren't safe until we are in the hangar. I've seen intentional (they thought they could swoop their buddy and miss, but they didn't miss) and unintentional collisions (not serious) between landed jumpers on the ground and landING jumpers.
|

Hmmmm, and collisions between photographers (me!!) and jumpers.... Got knocked down for the first time a couple of weeks ago >:(>:(.

Actually the photo I took about 2 secs before the collision is kinda cool (see attachment), and is in the new edition of our national magazine the SportParachutist :ph34r:. But it hurt, nevertheless.... :S

Had a couple of almost-collisions too, but I seldom need to duck or get out of the way. I'm supposed to stand (or sit) still of course, but I had to move a couple of times :o. Can you say: target fixation?? Sometimes, jumpers want to be in the picture too much...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

IMG_4084.JPG

Could you describe briefly what this book is? What kind of exercises? What exactly is in it? Is it more avoidance and accuracy, or is it more aggressive? I might start downsizing from the student skybarges to a smaller skybarge, and I definitely want to learn to fly it first.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

The book covers things like the physics of a canopy flight, how to tell wind direction without water, trees or a windsock. The in-air exercises cover everything from flat turns to front riser dives(I was playing with my front risers by level 7....up high of course). I would give you more detail but I loaned it out and I can't remember much beyond that.

IMHO at 26 jumps I think you would get a lot of benifit from it and in all honesty I need to reread it, because I think there are still things in there that I missed(or went over my head) a couple of years ago.

I'm still a baby in this sport and don't make too many statements because I still have a lot to learn but I'll stick with this one. This book should be mandatory before getting your A

Sounds like a good book for a beginner. I was looking for a good source on introductory canopy control for a while, thanks. I definitely agree with you, at 29 jumps I need to learn all I can. Just one thing to be added is that it's probably a good idea to consult instructors before doing any of the exercises.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

The first edition was titled Basic Canopy Flight 101.
Skydive University titled the second edition: Basic Canopy Flight 150.
My perception is that BCF 150 is aimed at recent AFF graduates. Mind you there are some arrogant thousand-jump "Stiletto pilots" who could learn a thing or two from this book.
You will find similar cnaopy control exercises in the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association's Parachutist Information Manual 2 B.

Just one thing to be added is that it's probably a good idea to consult instructors before doing any of the exercises.

I have to ask.....since you haven't read the book how do you know this?:P

actually I think the first couple of exercises are walking your approach pattern and while I'm sure it's a good idea to ask someone if your doing it right. I don't think it's something that requires consulting an instructor and neither are flat turns which are the next module.

My point is unless your not sure about something you really don't need an instructor to do the exercises

One thing I really like is that all the exercises have you look at the altimeter before and after the turns so you get a feeling of how much altitude you'll lose in say a flat turn vs hard turn etc also the book is very specific that you check your spot before starting and that you stop the exercises at 2500. Theres lots more but for 17 bucks it's a bargin

I have to ask.....since you haven't read the book how do you know this?

:P I meant that for people who are still on student status.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

Someone experienced please verify, but shouldn't you go last in the load unless there is someone who's pulling higher?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

high pullers last....UNLESS you have a birdman on board..that might change things a bit. one other thing to remember is that some dropzones will not allow you to pull all that high due to air coridors in the area and other problems with air traffic. just something to discuss with your DZO, S&TA, and most importantly your pilots.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....