Gaba

Best place to skydive in Las Vegas, NV?

Hey Everyone!! :)
I'm going to be in Las Vegas and wanted to know if anyone knows of any good DZ's?

This is gonna be my first time learning to Skydive, so I don't want to get ripped off. What are the basic things that I am supposed to ask and look for?

I searched the net and the typical price ranges from $169 to $200 bucks Tandem.

So far I came across these two sites...

http://skydivelasvegas.com

http://www.skydivemesquite.com

If all goes well I am thinking of taking it up!!!!B|
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
G

You won't find very many positive responses from skydivers about Skydive Las Vegas because of http://skydivelasvegas.com/experienced_jumpers.html. They also have a LOT of lies and BS throughout that website. It's pretty funny. Their caravan is the fastest climbing jump plane in the country and they are the only dropzone that lands on airport property. Yeah, maybe at THAT airport...

Dave

If you just want to do a single tandem jump, Skydive Las Vegas will be fine. But their web site is very up front about the fact that they do not cater to experienced jumpers, and it says they are "redesigning" their student program, so if you want to progress past a tandem, it is likely not the best place for you.

However, it sounds like you just want to do a single jump while you're visiting Vegas, so either DZ will likely meet your needs.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Last time I was in Vegas I rented a car and drove out to Perris Valley to jump. It's about a 3 hours drive if i remember right and worth every minute. www.skydiveperris.com

-----
Love the moment, and the energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries. - Corita Kent

I did some fun jumps at Skydive Las Vegas in February. I had a great time. The views were wonderful, the Hoover Dam, the big mountain, the desert, a little bit of the strip from the plane. I think they are still getting a bad rap from there earlier times when they were merely a tandem factory and were not interested in fun jumpers. I would go back and I would recommend it to anyone.

I was at the Mesquite Boogie in Feb this year. They had a great group of people and a nice setup. It rained the 2 days I was there :( (yes, I am the God of Wind and Rain). I would recommend it; but, the only downside is that it is about an 80 mile drive from Las Vegas.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I think they are still getting a bad rap from there earlier times when they were merely a tandem factory and were not interested in fun jumpers. I would go back and I would recommend it to anyone.

I haven't been to the DZ, so I can't comment from experience, but I would think if the DZ wanted to change a bad reputation among experienced jumpers, they might want to start by updating their web page. I wouldn't bother to call or go by based on what's posted there right now.

http://www.skydivelasvegas.com/experienced_jumpers.html
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Skydive Mesquite is the place to jump. You will have to pay extra at skydive lasvegas to get freefall, at skydive mesquite that is included in the basic price. skydive lasvegas is definetly not the place to go if you want a good deal.

Death is so permanant, and I'm just not ready for that kind of committment.

Like I said, Skydive Mesquite had a great vibe, the set up was nice and I forgot to add, good food at the Golf course down the road. Unfortunately, as the God of Wind and Rain, I brought 2 days of rain to the desert during the Feb Boogie. :S

Skydive Las Vegas was good to me. The tandem rates seem fair, $199 for a jump from 13k and $169 for basically a hop and pop from 5k. I don't see how this is a bad deal. I've seem tandems from 13k anywhere from $175 to $225.

I think he will be happy at either one.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I did some fun jumps at Skydive Las Vegas in February. I had a great time. The views were wonderful, the Hoover Dam, the big mountain, the desert, a little bit of the strip from the plane. I think they are still getting a bad rap from there earlier times when they were merely a tandem factory and were not interested in fun jumpers. I would go back and I would recommend it to anyone.

I was at the Mesquite Boogie in Feb this year. They had a great group of people and a nice setup. It rained the 2 days I was there :( (yes, I am the God of Wind and Rain). I would recommend it; but, the only downside is that it is about an 80 mile drive from Las Vegas.

HUH? Do they cater to fun jumpers now, as in licensed jumpers from other DZ's? I don't think so unless things have changed.

Experienced Jumpers
Due to various reasons, we are currently unable to accomodate any out-of-town experienced jumpers. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Ou-of-state? Do they let jump in staters? I thought you had to learn there or no jump there..... hmmm, any insight?

After the Mesquite boogie was rained out, I gave them a call to see if they knew anywhere else to jump. They told me to come on down and I could jump. It was mid week and they got a few loads up. Mostly tandems and a fun jumper or 2. They went out of their way to take care of me. When the Cessna was flying, I was always offered any open spot.

It bothers me that they get such a bad rap here. I jump at the Ranch and I had about 35 jumps when I showed up. They gave me essentially a currency class to check my knowledge and asked that I do a "coach" jump (I paid the 2 slots only). No charge for the review and the fairest price for a "coach" jump.

I understand that they had a bad rep from before when they were a "tandem factory".

If you are in Vegas, give them a call. I'm pretty sure that they will do their best to take care of you.

When I wen out to vegas a few years ago I stopped by a little dropzone in Jean, NV (about 30 minutes south of vegas) http://www.vegasextremeskydiving.com/

The people there were great. I did not have much time and they were pretty busy with tandems, They got me up on the next load.

You Do not land at the airport, but a few miles away and get picked up and taken back.

I was in Vegas in may and I called Skydive Las Vegas they told me you have to be D licensed, have a AAD and pay a yearly membership which I think was $50.00 and then they said they will try to fit you in.

go to Skydive Mesquite great group fun times