adamjenner

scoliosis

Hey I was just told from a physiotheropist that I have scoliosis. I was just wondering what are the dangers of jumping with this back condition?
I have been told not to jump for a while and I am taking that advice until my back is better. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem but had no troubles jumping?
Thank you.

umm well it's not too bad but bad enough my back can't keep a good arch until it's straightened out.

here's your back
||
||
||
||
||

Here's my back
||
||
\\
||
//
||
||
or something to that degree....I won't need surgery and I mean i have jumped before but always had arching problems...maybe this'll fix that? I'm not sure.

Mine is worse than that. Been jumping for 4 years, and have 500 jumps.

The problem isn't skydiving - the problem is that scholiosis can lead to many other problems during your life if you are not careful. For instance - I was hit by a drunk driver 6 years ago and it only made my lower back injury worse. Then at the end of last season (my least active jump season yet due to lack of cash) my left hip started to give out and cause pain down my leg. The back problem now turned into a sacral illiac and pressed nerve issue which grounded me for 7 months.

You have to stretch out at the start and end of everyday. YOU will be sore no matter what you do - a certain amount of daily pain and muscle aches is a common thing for this condition. The less you do for your back, the more pain you will be in.

But even my neurosugeon says skydiving is fine, even with my back.

I was told I had scoliosis probably 10 years ago. I have had absolutely no problem skydiving. I've never had to do anything more (i.e. stretching) than anyone else due to my back.

If I'm on my feet all day then my low back is hurting a bit, but I guess thats normal for anyone.

I recently got scolisis thanks to a bad butt landing, after 6 months ignoring the injury I finally got enough pain for me to see a doctor.

The doctor grounded me for 2 weeks and I took 3 cause of the pain, gave me 1 month of physiotherapy and A-LOT of pills. After that everything has been alright, before a busy day of jumping I usually do some stretching, and after the day of jumping I cool down with some beers ;)

If you get some pain, do some physical therapy at home.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I just have to make sure to warm up and stay that way for all my jumps. Keeping an active lifestyle is better for your back then resting it. I've also found by keeping my stomach muscles in shape my back does not ache as much. You'll also want to jump with good tennis shoes, Tevas are cool but don't give enough support and cushion for your back.

FrogLady

Glad your therapist caught that. Yes, stretching will help. Staying strong (abominal and back) will help as well.

When I was 13, I grew 5 inches that school year! Diagnosis by my doctor was scoliosis with the threat of having to wear a hard brace until I stopped growing. YUCK! I rebelled and did not.

Turns out, no harm, no foul. When I became a P.T. myself, low and behold I found that I had a 3/4 inch leg length discrepancy! I put a lift in my shoe and WALLA!!!!....the scoliosis vanished! It was from my leg length disparity. Fixed!

Scoliosis is a common ailment. If it doesn't cause you pain, and you stay toned up and flexible, you should be just fine.

Cheers,
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

you stay toned up and flexible, you should be just fine.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Exercise is the key to recovering from any injury.

The only things that got me back in the air after a herniated disc and a painful bout with sciatica was a thousand hours of stretching and a million sit-ups to pull my spine back into alignment.

you stay toned up and flexible, you should be just fine.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Exercise is the key to recovering from any injury.

The only things that got me back in the air after a herniated disc and a painful bout with sciatica was a thousand hours of stretching and a million sit-ups to pull my spine back into alignment.

A million sit-ups? Can I tell my whining patients that? ;) There's a few that can't imagine they have to WORK at getting better! :S

Thanks for the feedback :)ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Myself I have it since high school. Unless it is a very severe one, it shouldn't hinder you at all. At the most some difficulty arching which can be corrected with exercise and/or weights to prevent floating. Keep physically reasonably fit, that's the clue.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757