CrazyRick

Z Hills Thanksgiving Meet?

It always amazes me that no matter what goes on today, it is always outdone by something in the seventies.
The parties are hard, if that is what you are looking for, it's just got a different vibe.I think people these days don't feel quite so much like they're making their last jump, if that makes sense.
Although I wasn't there, I always get the feeling some of the old timers were fully expecting to burn in at any given time, and it showed when they were on the dirt..
While jumpers themselves haven't gotten much safer, equipment has, and I think it shows around the bonfire.
I don't know, but I don't think we'll ever regain that vibe, and maybe that's good.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

It always amazes me that no matter what goes on today, it is always outdone by something in the seventies.
The parties are hard, if that is what you are looking for, it's just got a different vibe.I think people these days don't feel quite so much like they're making their last jump, if that makes sense.
Although I wasn't there, I always get the feeling some of the old timers were fully expecting to burn in at any given time, and it showed when they were on the dirt..
While jumpers themselves haven't gotten much safer, equipment has, and I think it shows around the bonfire.
I don't know, but I don't think we'll ever regain that vibe, and maybe that's good.

Hmmm, I think I felt just as invincible as you think you are now. I only remember one or two jumpers from then that I thought were sure to die in the sport becuase they were low pull artists (they did).

Equipment might be safer, but skydivers are still killing themselves at the same rate as the '70s, it's just mostly under open canopies now...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

When was the last time you went to a boogie nowadays with 100 10-way teams competing? Where the partying at night last until the first load took off in the morning? When 54 DC-3 (50+ jumpers) and 26 CASA loads were made in one day? When was the last time they had a 40-way meet with six teams? It is not the same any more. And we didn't kill anywhere near the number of people that it is made out to be in the stories! None of it was because we were making our last jump, we just weren't as scared of living as most people today. And yes, I do resent your remarks.
blue skies,

art

***None of it was because we were making our last jump, we just weren't as scared of living as most people today. And yes, I do resent your remarks.
--------------------------------------------------------

according to your profile, you weren't jumping in the seventies, so resent away.
I'm only speaking of the incessant "back in my day" stories. And all the stories of people getting loaded before jumping. You really don't see a whole lot of that anymore, and that's good.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Lots of stuff!
25-28 CRW camp for all levels
17-21 Go fast games, freefly events
night jumps
10 way speed
scrumptious dinners by Janine
PD demos
8 way comp
16 way comp

and most importantly epic parties and all beers for $2. not just the crappy ones.

all the FS meets are pretty much pick up teams. It's pretty easy to find a team day of or day before. Mostly the problem is gettign up early enough for them after the parties. :D

__

Scotty Jumped at Z-Hills in the 70's and NO he says its not like it was then....but in his words "Nothing is as it was back then" ;)
As for the current Turkey Meet days......Its still alot of fun and you will be surprised as to how many old timers are still there and how many show up just for the boogie.....COME ON DOWN ITS GREAT FUN!!
<>
Scotty and Tami