garydouris

Skydiving Marines

To all Marines present and past who have ever made a skydive:

In a moment of nostalgia Sandy Reid, Viet Nam Marine, and now of Rigging Innovations in Eloy, Arizona decided that it would be a good idea to get us all together 10 November. (Actually 9 November 2003 since the 10th is Monday)

That special day of days, our 228 birthday, is a good time to assemble all of us who are still able.

During this especially turbulent year in the history of our beloved country we are blessed with the return of some of our youngest from "The Valley of the Shadow where they were in Harms Way, Baghdad". We must thank them for carrying on the tradition that we have all been so proud of for these many years. We then must remember the "way too many of us" who gave the ultimate in carrying out that tradition.

To all who have worn the Eagle, Globe and Anchor whether during battle or peacetime, and who have made one civilian jump of any kind, welcome.

To any who have worn the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, whether during battle or peacetime, and who have not made one civilian jump you are still our brother or sister and are still welcome.

We will be at the drop zone at Elsinore, CA all during the day of 9Nov03. The drop zone is making us welcome and will provide a BBQ at sunset if we so desire.

Some of us will jump, but many will only remember and share old stories.

God bless the United States of America and the United States Marine Corps!

Semper Fi

Gary Douris
U.S.M.C.
Viet Nam 1965-1966

For any who are interested you can contact Sandy or myself at:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Hey Gary,

You guys got room for an ex-Navy guy? B|
I spent a week at Pendleton and one at El Toro while I was ROTC Mid, does that count?

By the way, I was the instructor for Anne Batterson (D-325) during the SOS 2003. Thanks for the picture, Gary.

Mark

And for those on the east coast there is always the "Birthday Party" at Cookies Tavern in South Philly.If you have never gone,do yourself a favor and go.Starts in the AM and goes till about 2 AM the next day.:o
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

By Oliver North

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Each Sept. 11, Americans will commemorate one of the most tragic days in American history -- a day when 2,998 of our friends and neighbors were murdered by fanatic terrorists. It is a day that will not be forgotten because, for so many Americans, Sept. 11 marks the start of the war on terrorism.

But in fact, terrorists proclaimed war on Americans long before Sept. 11, 2001, and every time American interests are targeted by these fanatics, there is one American family which suffers casualties, or is called upon to retaliate, or both. That American family is the United States Marine Corps.

Among their many other duties, Marines have the unique honor and responsibility of providing security at American embassies around the world, where the sentries are ordered to "take charge of this post and all government property in view." Unfortunately, embassies tend to be a favorite target of terrorists. The Corps' history of fighting terrorists dates to 1804, when Marine 1st Lt. Presley O'Bannon led his men to defeat the Barbary Pirates.

But the modern day war on terrorism is often traced to Nov. 4, 1979, when Iranian militants seized the American embassy in Tehran, Iran, and took 66 Americans hostage -- 52 of whom would be held in captivity for 444 days. Four years later, on April 18, 1983, the U.S. embassy in Beirut was attacked when a terrorist drove a pickup truck into the building, killing 63 people, 17 of whom were Americans.

Six months later, U.S. Marines who were helping to keep the peace in Lebanon were the target of what was -- prior to Sept. 11, 2001 -- the largest terrorist attack in American history. At 6:22 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 23, 1983, a homicide bomber crashed a large Mercedes truck, loaded with over 2,000 pounds of explosives, through a barbed wire fence and other barriers into the four-story headquarters of the Marine compound located at Beirut's airport. The attack killed 241 Marines, sailors and one soldier, who were members of Battalion Landing Team 1-8 of the 24th Marine Amphibious Unit, and instantly turned the building into a pile of rubble.

At the time, the world was a dangerous place -- as it is now. It was the height of the Cold War, and President Reagan had already branded the Soviet Union "the Evil Empire." One month before, the Soviets shot down a Korean airliner -- Flight 007 -- killing all 269 people on board, including 61 Americans, one of whom was U.S. Rep. Larry McDonald.

Two days after the Beirut bombing, Marines, along with other U.S. forces, landed on Grenada to rescue American medical students following a Marxist coup on the island. The threat of terrorism against Americans had become every bit as real as the dangers of the Cold War and Soviet expansion.

When the 24th Marine Amphibious Unit (MAU) was ordered to Lebanon from its home at Camp LeJeune, N.C., it was the fourth such Marine unit to serve in the country since Sept. 1982. They were invited there as part of a Multinational Peacekeeping Force along with France, Italy and, later, Great Britain to help enforce a tenuous peace arrangement between the various factions in Lebanon. The Marines' mission was to control the area around the Beirut International Airport -- Lebanon's link to the outside world.

During better times, money from rich Arab states used to flow through the international banks in Beirut, and the city was known as the "Paris of the Middle East." But parts of the country were deteriorating, and outside the airport perimeter were slums that bred recruits for militant groups like Hezbollah, which was responsible for the Oct. 23 bombing.

Since 1983, Marines and other U.S. military personnel have been targeted by terrorists in Kuwait, Bogota, Madrid, San Salvador, Frankfurt, West Berlin, Riyadh, Dhahran, Nairobi, Dar es Salaam and Aden, to name a few. Yet they continue the fight, and today in Afghanistan and Iraq they are not only defending Americans from terrorists, but their presence has allowed citizens in those countries to escape repressive and torturous regimes.

The war against terror, as the president has repeatedly warned, will not be short in duration, as evidenced by next week's 20th commemoration of the bloodiest terrorist attack in U.S. history, prior to Sept. 11. On Oct. 23, Marines all over the world will take a moment to salute their comrades who were murdered 20 years earlier, and then they'll return to the fight until it is won.

Perhaps on that day, all Americans can take time to acknowledge the extraordinary contributions our fellow Marines have made to defend America's liberty throughout our history, particularly those who sacrificed their lives from Beirut to Baghdad to defend our nation and bring peace to a violent part of the world.

Semper Fidelis, Marines. Semper Fidelis.

Oliver North is a nationally syndicated columnist and the honorary chairman of Freedom Alliance. Pete Stenner, a retired colonel, is a 30-year veteran of the Marine Corps and was the executive officer of the Battalion Landing Team 1-8 in Beirut.

To find out more about Oliver North, and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2003 CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC

Alright Guys you all up to an X Army Airborne Ranger droping by..Its a posibility I may be out that way..Went through Airborne and Ranger training in 86. Back when it was still tough..Served in Desert Storm 91...got all I wanted after that..never thought Id love to keep jumping like I do..ha..ha..B|
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

I don't think Gary is monitoring this post, and it was his idea originally so I don't know what kind of plans he has. I think, like we have always done, Marines would welcome the chance to jump with our brothers and sisters in arms. Don't know what Gary is thinking about a USMC big way or formation load, and I'm sure you all would understand if he wanted one jump that was all Marine, but I'm pretty sure he would want to jump with you guys throughout the day like I would. B|

Went through Airborne and Ranger training in 86. Back when it was still tough..Served in Desert Storm 91...
I went through Ranger school in 94, as i remember it was still tough with one meal a day, and two to three hours of sleep each night if we were lucky. Met some cool marines while I was in too...
I was a little jealous since we had a "Gunny" RI who pulled the marines away in November for the Corp's B-day gave them all a cup cake for the celebration...
Kind of neat...
I know of a few marines that are still around and jump as well. I will have to relay the message of your little get together...
There's something about the comradery that is built between soldiers who have dealt with hardships. Being in the Rangers, I have never found anything in the outside that can even comprehend the bond that was formed...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Glad to meet U. Always feels good to know there's one Ranger in the group. I have a good Marine buddy some of U may know..He makes Videos and does some Camera stuff in Skydive Cedartown Georgia. We call him Cowboy.He has a cool ass video out called Cowboy Video Productions. He was selling them on Ebay awhile ago. It has some real good footage of WFFC 2001 its a keeper DVD format. Lets continue to Remember our other bud's still serving and dealing with the Iraqi crisis... B|
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

there's a bunch of rangers running around here. i got mine in june, 95 (class 7-95, the last class to go through the desert phase in Bliss)
I ran into a couple other rangers at Rantoul this summer... Mutton Chop Mike (SF and Ranger) and Chuck Blaylock (2d Rgr Bat and RI) and a few other guys who jump at skydive monroe in GA.
out here in hollister CA, though, I'm the keeping the faith by myself... "though I be the lone survivor"
oh, and jarheads are ok with me. sometimes ;-)
RLTW.

<><><><><><>
Q: "Do you think it gets boring just flying around or is there more to it?"
A: "I've never seen a bird get bored with flight and decide to start walking instead."

No way I could make it out there..being in GA, but I was with you all in spirit! I jumped at Cedartown that day in honor of our Beloved Corps! Think this is a great idea..how about starting a new tradition maybe get group together and travel to a different DZ each year to jump in honor of our Corps on her birthday. Get together with fellow Marines around the country to celebrate. I know Cowboy and Jack here at Cedartown, so there are at least three of us "Jarheads" here. Maybe ya'll could come over here next year to kick off it off. Try to get as many Marines as possible from around the country to come. Could call it the annual "Skydiving Marines Birthday Boogie!" What do you think?

Semper Fi,
R.L. Wood
MSGT USMC (Ret)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

I hope you guys have an amazing time! One of my close girl friends is over in Baghdad right now. I've convinced her to jump when she gets back!

I wish you the best and please send my thanks to all that attend. I owe you and everyone else who gives to their country a debt of gratitude!

:)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Glad to meet U. Always feels good to know there's one Ranger in the group.

well hopefully future airborne ranger here....got half of it so far! ft benning airborne class 31-03...charlie 825! Airborne! go army! but good luck marines on ur birthday! happy birthday

"Airborne all the way"
EL Cantador Rodriguez

Allright!!! Just try not to get hurt..Had a buddy get cellulitis in foot-recycled him but couldnt make the cut..needless to say lesson learned. Keep the Feet dry as possible...Kicked my ass in Jungle phase..I was a bean pole when I graduated.Starved the hell out of us. 2 Mre's a day..Airborne.All the Way..Rangers lead the Way..>:(