Hooknswoop

Canopy Course

who will be coaching? it seems for it to be an advanced canopy piloting course, it would make sense to have someone who is in good standing on the swoop circuit coaching. someone who understands the highest wing-loading is not the key to success, and someone who knows you can swoop further with a carve than a snap-hook. if you have someone like that coaching, that is a great price. otherwise, I don't know how advanced it will be.

who will be coaching?

I will be.

it seems for it to be an advanced canopy piloting course, it would make sense to have someone who is in good standing on the swoop circuit coaching.

I don't compete because I am not willing "to go big or go home". I stand up every landing. I am alos not willing to get wet. Not competeting in swoop competetions does not mean I can't fly a canopy or teach how to fly a canopy.

someone who understands the highest wing-loading is not the key to success,

I am very aware of the of different wing loadings and it's effects. Different wingloadings give different results. Depends on what results you want.

and someone who knows you can swoop further with a carve than a snap-hook.

That depends on the canopy and wing loading.

if you have someone like that coaching, that is a great price. otherwise, I don't know how advanced it will be.

I think I qualify. Thanks for the vote of confidence.:S. Your post almost seems to imply I am not qualified to teach this course...........

The course is designed to take up where "A" license training left off, similar to Bryan Burkes course. It is designed to provide a base of knowledge that the student can use to improve their canopy control skills past the basic, open, fly to the DZ and land. It does nopt teach hook turns/high performance landings.

Hook

Grasshopper - do you know Derek? He's an amazing rigger, canopy pilot and all around skydiver. Not to mention a great guy who goes way and I mean WAY out of his way to help out other skydivers.

There are lots of great swoopers I wouldn't want to emulate. Being talented does not by definition make you a good teacher. It takes actually understanding the physics and concepts of what you're teaching, as well as the patience to approach the subject in a way that your students can digest. Add to that kindness and a sense of humour, as WELL as talent, and you have Derek, also known as Hooknswoop.

Just thought you might like to know who you're talking about. See you next week at Elsinore.

Mandy

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch

grasshopper:

if i was in the same state as Derek and he was giving comprehensive canopy coaching, i'd pay $200.00 to attend. i've seen this man fly, it's quite a sight. he's one of the only skydivers/canopy pilots i've met, that know exactly what they're doing all of the time. although he's moved to Colorado, i still ship my rig to him every reserve re-pack cycle for re-pack, and main inspection. take care, be safe.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I would like to sign up in advance for the east coast course! That will be when? ;)

I am beginning custom tailored canopy courses at the Raeford school starting next month. Cost is dependant on specific instruction, but will not run more than $200 for one very-busy day of pro competition coaching, jumping, and videoed landings. I am also going to be running free seminars on basic refresher and intermediate canopy flight on at least a monthly basis at the school. The intent here is to rid our area of dangerous canopy pilots. Since my place of business is now on the DZ six days a week as manager of the RPC school, I am also always available for handing out any advice you might need.

I put an ad in the classifieds describing the competition-type sylabus, but would like to reiterate that I can totally custom tailor private instruction to a person's needs.

Chuck

I won't be travelling anywhere except competitions this year, and then not all of those. Six days a week you will find me at the RPC school, answering phones, teaching FJC's, and hauling meat. Monday is my day off, so if you have any reason you "just can't" come to Raeford, then maybe I can accomodate you there.

Chuck

Well,
I for one am goal oriented.
My goals are under attack$$$(tax return & "oh, I want to decorate"/BS!) but, I plan to buy a Cobalt If the 170 for 2003 is different (or H-MODed)
and take a week of to go to your courses.

I agree with Diva as well. Hook is incredible and has a lot to give to anyone who takes his course.

And I for one will be in line for Chuck's out here on the east coast. If anyone looks at the thread of mine in safety and training, you'll know why! ;)

Pammi

who will be coaching? it seems for it to be an advanced canopy piloting course, it would make sense to have someone who is in good standing on the swoop circuit coaching. someone who understands the highest wing-loading is not the key to success, and someone who knows you can swoop further with a carve than a snap-hook. if you have someone like that coaching, that is a great price. otherwise, I don't know how advanced it will be.

Grasshoppper you really need to get out more!

There are plenty of canopy pilots more than capable of competing very Competivly on the PST who are not for a variety of reasons. Those who do compete on the tour are SOME of the best canopy pilots around, not all.
Also, a good althete in any sport does not necessarily correlate to a good instrutor of that sport .

Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

My boy Josh is correct on all counts. There are plenty of very experienced pilots who instruct for a living that OUGHT to be running courses. There are also, unfortunatly, plenty of young monkey lips out there who have neither the skill nor the teaching experience to be teaching shit, but who have mastered self promotion to the point that people will pay them just to drink a beer with them; very unfortunate. I am sure Derek will run a fantastic course. You can also be assured that I run a good course. On the other hand, I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would pay a cent to learn from someone who finished next to last at the PSN. Just my opinion as someone who finished 18th out of 81 at that meet.

Chuck