deadmanflying77

hooked need help on a chute

Just went for my first tandem yesterday from 12.5 , and i am completely hooked, going back tommorw for 1st staic line jumo, anyways point is i know for a fact im going to be doing this until i cant, therefore i am going to invest in some gear, I have no idead where to start, i plan on asking my instructor next time i see him, but my mind needs some knowledge now, i can't wait that long to start feeding it B|. I am approximately 5'8" and weigh 140 pounds. I plan on jumpoing frequently so I dont know if thats a factor as well? please recomend a rig set up for, Im goona need a whole setup, im already decided on a helmet and suit, the rest is in the air, visual altimeter? audible altimeter, please tell me everything im gonna need to know, im already a junkie:ph34r:

You've already decided to do what is probably the best advise anyone here could ever hope to give you -- talk to your instructor.

That said, because you've opened this up for discussion, you'll probably also get a lot of other advise. I'm not saying "don't listen to it", but listen to it, store it away and discuss it with your instructor.

To date, ONLY your instructor has had any contact with you and it's nearly impossible for anyone to figure out how adept you may be at canopy control or what, if any, current goals you might have for flying a canopy. Therefore, all the advise you get, including what I'm writing you right this minute, should be discussed with your instructor.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

> please tell me everything im gonna need to know . . .

Got about 30 hours?

Your best bet is to sit through an FJC, talk to your instructors, and ask around your drop zone. It's a little early to start thinking about a rig, but if your instructor agrees it might make sense to get a jumpsuit so you're not always using a different jumpsuit on every jump. (might not be a big deal if they have 50 identical jumpsuits for students.) You'll have a better idea of what rig you want after you go through AFF, and it's likely they won't let you jump your own rig during AFF anyway.

im already a junkie

---> welcome to our world :ph34r:

my .02$ would be to jump the student gear till your about ready to graduate, use their jumpsuits/ altimeters/ helmets..........some of your student landings may more closely resemble an "arrival" rather than a landing....it sucks to tear/damage your own gear..

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I can only agree with PhillyKev here, give it some time! Doing a tandem is one thing, getting out there on your own is completely different.

MANY people start the SL course, few graduate! Do you think that any of those starting the course, think they aren't going to finish? As a SL instructor, I've instructed my fair share of students. I always try to guess who will graduate and who will not before their first jump. I'm almost allways wrong!

Just to finish this with a positive note. I think it's great that you are hooked. Take the course, but I think waiting with the gear purchase would be the wise decision.

BUT!!! If you are like me, an impulsive buyer, I know this wont stop you. So if you are going shoping, PLEASE do as you said and consult your instructor first!