CWC

Is SDU training better?

I've been trying to decide between several DZ's for my AFF training. There is a Skydive University certified one that is about 3hrs away. There's also a respected DZ with 45min, but it's not a SDU location. Also, the closer one is about $200 cheaper than the other for the entire AFF course? Will the training at the SDU location be so far superior that it's worth the extra cash and driving time?

I think that SDU is a GREAT coaching program.

Guess what?

Just because a DZ isn't a Skydive U campus doesn't mean there's not good Skydive U coaches there.

SDU campus doesn't mean much of anything, if you want to do SDU training, go to the close DZ and see if there are any SDU coaches there. You'll get the same training, from the same program, with the same moduals, with the same instruction guidelines from someone who went through the same course for getting his/her SDU rating.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The closer DZ may be as good as the SDU operation, or it may not be. It is pretty tough for a first timer to analyse the standards and programs at the two drop zones. The SDU tag should tell you that that DZ is offering a solid program with a high standard of instruction and performance, and for a difference of just 200 dollars for the entire program cost, I'd strongly suggest it.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Author, JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I've been trying to decide between several DZ's for my AFF training. There is a Skydive University certified
one that is about 3hrs away. There's also a respected DZ with 45min, but it's not a SDU location. Also, the
closer one is about $200 cheaper than the other for the entire AFF course? Will the training at the SDU
location be so far superior that it's worth the extra cash and driving time?

I have seen great coaches without a SDU rating (I think I'm a good coach, and I don't have one)...And I have seen some crap coaches with a SDU rating (I know several guys with 150 jumps that have gotten them). While not always the case...It has happened.

Just like there are good AFF guys and not so good AFF guys...Even though both went to the course some are better than others even with the SDU program.

I would not let that alone be the factor that makes ne choose.

I would go to the close one, and invest the 200 in more jumps or coaching jumps at that DZ. Or hell buy an alti or put it to your new jump suit. If the DZ is close, you will be more likley to go more, hang out longer...You can learn alot at the bar (maybe not how to pull or turn, but a lot of history and skydiving culture.)

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Agreed. No piece of paper is going to make one location better than another and no commercially run "certification" is going to make a poor instructor any better than the same person without it. Like Ron said, there are some incredibly bad skydivers out there with ratings and private certifications. People who, for one reason or another, eeked their way into passing a course. Conversely, there are an abundance of people out there with no ratings at all who are phenomenal teaching abilities because they have been doing it all their lives. The bottom line here is that you need to find a reputable school for your instruction with reputable, professional, USPA rated instructors. A school with a proven safety record and well-maintained equipment.

While SDU has a nice, post-inititial-training sylabus, it certainly does not possess the golden fleece. Any number of schools out there offer brilliant training plans. Private certifications only matter to the groups of people who buy into the hype. The Atmosphere Dolphin "certification" was another perfect example of this. It was ludicrous to believe that paying a private individual to administer a test was going to give you any more credibility than more experienced freeflyers, but look how many people bought into that.... Unbelievable. Thankfully, USPA came out with it's own award and the general level of proficiency got high enough that now the AD is sort of an enigma. Who cares. Individual ability and experience is what matters.

To answer the question in the subject line: No, not at this dropzone anyway. We have been teaching students at Raeford for over thirty years. The level of competency and profesionalism is extremely high around here. I understand that this is not the case everywhere, but sticking a franchise sign over your school is not going to make you a safer place to train. Likewise, getting a rating, or a private certification for that matter, is not going to make you a good instructor if you do not hone the skills taught in those basic courses.

Chuck Blue
D-12501
AFF/SL/TM/BM-I, S&TA, PRO
Raeford Parachute Center School

are you looking to do aff??? or post aff coaching???

Just because therre are SDU coaches there, doesnt mean that they will be teaching you your AFF course. The SDU rating really only covers post aff coaching, not aff training applications...although I do believe that a CURRENT SDU rated person can effectively apply SDU principles into your aff training. The SDU AFF windtunnel program is only offered in Deland, FL. There are SDU rated AFF windtunnel instructors but they reside in Florida.

If I were you, I would actually go out to both DZs and hang out for a weekend or at least a day to see what they people are like and talk to them. I am sure that if you told them what your concerns are, they would be more than happy to speak to you and answer all of your questions. Talk to the AFF I's and see where are you the most comfortable to do your AFF training. That can really make a difference too...what are you going to be comfortable with??? Just because there are SDU coaches...doesnt mean that they are current SDU coaches...just like with AFF I's...Currency makes coaching or instructing easier for both the student and coach/I. If you dont use it...you loose it.

Go ahead...ask the questions!!! If you feel more comfortable with the DZ without SDU for your AFF...go for it, then if you want SDU...go to the other DZ.

Good luck.

I've been trying to decide between several DZ's for my AFF training.

I am not a big fan of buying coach jumps. never had them and never asked someone to pay for my jumps. get through aff and seek out the older skydivers. buy them a beer or two might help.

which is a great way to learn, but you really have to find the right individual thats willing to take their personal time (and jumps) without direct monetary compensation to focus on your training.

Paid coaches do that as a matter of course, sure you can get great instruction and learn an amazing amount from 'your friends' but when it comes down to it dedicated (paid or other wise compensated) coaching (in any sport) is the most effective way to improve your skills in a short period of time..

Paid coaches do that as a matter of course, sure you can get great instruction and learn an amazing amount from 'your friends' but when it comes down to it dedicated (paid or other wise compensated) coaching (in any sport) is the most effective way to improve your skills in a short period of time..

Well what's the big hurry? I'm sorry but i see to many skydivers who do the following.

A) finish aff in 2 weekends
B) buy a new rig
C) do sdu or other system
D) do 1000 jumps in a year
E) get out of sport after 3 years

They never learn to pack. Never help a newbie (unless she's cute) ;) Never rig their own reserve or main. I feel it's really their loss. Maybe I've been lucky but I never had a hard time getting help. All that was asked was to pass it on. Maybe that's why I like THEM TOADSUCKERS.

Well what's the big hurry?

there isnt any 'hurry' but you wont get on some of the 'more interesting' dives unless you have the skills, the sooner you develop them the sooner you might be invited to play with the 'big boys'. As with everything else its a matter of focus, you can spend 200 jumps laughing in the skies doing 'easy belly 2 ways' and having an absolute blast, or you can spend 200 jumps with the focus on specific flying skills and still have an absolute blast

its all about what you want out of it, and where you'd like to take it..

every coach i've ever paid for a dive has also taken the time out to jump, play and advise when they werent on a 'dedicated' coach jump ive done more 'fun' jumps with them than coached jumps, but there is a definitive difference of focus as well, but its important to remember for most of them skydiving is their profession and we 'give back' in the same way by supporting their livelihood as they support our continuing education

is there a difference in 'fun level' for someone who does 3000 jumps in 3 years vs 3000 jumps in 10?? its all about your personal preferences, some people like to immerse more than others

is there a difference in 'fun level' for someone who does 3000 jumps in 3 years vs 3000 jumps in 10?? its all
about your personal preferences, some people like to immerse more than others

The problem that the other poster was trying to hint at is that you miss out alot if you go the quick route sometimes.

I know many yuppie jumpers that don't drink at the bar after the days jumping...They come out, do 5 or 6 and go home...

They never really get the sport...only the action of it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I am not a big fan of buying coach jumps. never had them and never asked someone to pay for my jumps. get through aff and seek out the older skydivers. buy them a beer or two might help.

Totally agree
Although I paid for coach Jumps my self (part of the package and at the time I didn't know any better) I don't think I would do it again. I've learned more from hanging around and listening to the more experienced jumpers.

Blue Skies Black Death

Check out the close DZ first. The benefit of being able to be there more often and longer, on any given day, is in my opinion more important.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I know many yuppie jumpers that don't drink at the bar after the days jumping...They come out, do 5 or 6 and go home...

They never really get the sport...only the action of it

yep, one of my favorite jumps is to grab a newbie with a freshly minted "A" and go do a 2 way. side dock on them and spin them 360. when we redock there is always a big grin. I also tell them, they can not count the point unless they stick their tongue out at me between. You ask why, cause the relax and fly better. I have a blast, they have a blast. What did i get paid? A friend for life :)