heftee

Collapsing my slider

This is a "silly" question from a newbie, but I'm going to ask it anyway.
I have a collapsible slider that I never collapsed before.
Last month, I had several people ask me if I was doing practice flares after opening - answer = yes, why?
Seems as if my slider was rising up the lines during flight and not giving me the best flare possible as the slider would start coming down again when I'd flare to land. I took the canopy control class and had that instructor watch me. I also had another instructor fly around me under canopy. Both said that my slider definitely came down on my practice flare but eventually made its way up a bit during flight. They told me to collapse my slider to fix this. Ok, seems easy enough, I'll give it a try. However, I could not reach the darn thing for the life of me. I was told to hang on one of the rear risers and get it down a bit and reach up with the other hand and grab for it (if my air space was clear to do so). Didn't help...I spun around in circles chasing the slider - America's Funniest Videos, here I come. I consulted my instructors who told me to order shorter risers. So, a couple weeks later, new risers ordered and paid for, got them put on and made a jump this weekend - I still can't reach the darn thing. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions are appreciated.
PS - it's not like I have Tyrannosaurs arms but I am short. :ph34r:

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

I'm also interested in what else there is to do. I have yet to jump with my shorter risers, so I don't know if I will be able to reach it or not.

And suggestions would be appreciated. And thanks for asking heftee.

kristen

kristen
swooo #3 MB #3587 P.M.S. #66
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"

Ok, I do have short arms, so here is what I have done.

1) Reach up the risers on the side where the grommet has come down the farthest grab the corner then work my way to the middle and collapse the slider.

2) On the 22-inch risers were that didn't work I would grab the left rear riser with my right hand and pull it down slightly while I stretched up the riser with my left hand grabbing the corner of the slider.
Fly it like you stole it!

Take a boat hook with you. Keep it in your jumpsuit. If you get a bent one you can put it down one leg and it wont interferre with your arch although you may only be able to turn in one direction in freefall. Once under canopy just get it out and use it to hook the slidder and pull it down.
Hey presto. Job done.

I used to have a similar problem with reaching my slider - no matter what I did it was no good, my arms were just too short. :(

I solved the problem very simply - by ordering a set of shorter risers. I have done 200-250 jumps on them now and they are great! I can reach my slider easily and comfortably. The only thing is that I do have to warn people who are used to "normal" length risers if they borrow my rig!

Vicki

I did get shorter risers, but that didn't do it.
Next, I'm going with Bill's suggestion on slinks.
After that, I'm not sure what to do as I can't afford a new harness at this point.
I'll keep trying.
Thanks!

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

I should have said in my previous post, I am using my short risers with slinks. The whole set up is now great and I don't have a problem reaching my slider any more! (The only problem was that I had got so used to not being able to collapse my slider that it took me a while to get into the habit of doing it...)

Good luck with trying the slinks!

Vicki

I finally got to jump my shorter risers with slinks (no bumpers) and I can stow the slider with no problem now. I also have to remember to do that....I have a tendency to forget if it's not making any noise....

Thanks for all of the great suggestions everyone; they definitely helped!

kristen

kristen
"so let go, jump in...what're you waiting for? it's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"

Okay, not so much the boat hook, because I don't know what it is. And, it sounds a little bit too much for me to want to jump with.... But, still suggestions are always good.... it might work for someone else... ;)

kristen

And if you have slinks, you should either:

1. Get bumpers to keep the slider from coming down to the slinks OR
2. Pull the slider all the way down past the toggle and stow it (behind your head or elsewhere).

There has been at least one fatality where the slink and fingertrap of the steering line both caught inside the grommet of the slider.