jt40ronin

how loose is too loose??

For hybrids where I'm on the base, hella tight!

For FF, I keep it pretty snug. If I am doing RW or working with students I keep it pretty loose as it saves me from having to do it under canopy.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

And would you be wearin' an altimeter on your chest strap, sir? If you do, DEFINITELY snug it up- mine is snug but no pinches-no altimeter on it-- I don't even need to loosen it under canopy to be comfortable in the saddle.
Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says... he is giving me a reputation I do not deserve!

And would you be wearin' an altimeter on your chest strap, sir?

Damn good point. Since I wear a wrist mount, that escaped me. If someone has a chest mounted alti their chest strap should be snug. Otherwise, say hello to a split-lip or worse.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I wear mine a little tighter than I probably should while belly flying. It just feels more secure. As a student my instructors would loosen it , when they looked away I would tighten it. When 'trying' to freefly I tighten things down even more.

Keep it tight enough in freefall to keep the rig on you. Sounds simple, but it depends on a lot of things (rig fit, your shoulder size, type of flying etc.)

Looser is better under canopy. It may even be worth getting it lengthened if you want to extract every bit of performance from your canopy.

I inhale as much air as i can, so my chest is the biggest it can be. and then tighten my cheststrap so it's tigh (in standing position). and when i exhale the chest strap normaly isn't so tight any more. And that's how much i tighten my chest strap.
"George just lucky i guess!"

Another reason to keep it snug is free-flying. Even though the strap may technically be tight enough to save you, it's better not to have play on the position of the rig that potentially leaves airpspace between it and the jumper or allows it to slide around in head-down or sit-fly.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

>How loose or tight does everybody wear there chest strap?

I wear my whole harness snug, not constricting tight,
but snug. I don't like stuff moving around and don't
want to come out of my harness.

I don't know where this loose chest strap fashion came
from, it doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't say
anything unless it's a student.

Sometimes I think things :-) :-) but I really try not to say
anything.

Skr