Frodo

Military parachutes

What were the details on that? I was a Jumpmaster for two years and that was always my biggest fear. Just images of getting banged against the plane and being cut away and having to pull that fucking reserve. I always visualized my back snapping on opening.:S

Dom

What happened.. did some rigger get carried away with all the stitching for pack closure.. or is she just too light to break it open:P

Not a problem I ever had...

Amazon

Not a problem I thought I'd ever have either... Details: night jump, 3rd pass, me as the Asst JM right door. Handed off my static line after exiting about 10 jumpers over Luzon, headed out the door, and the next thing you know I'm hanging upside down from my HPT lowering line. I wasn't jumping my M1950 wpns case so my lowering line (brand new) was exposed on the left side. I had just exchanged it that morning because the Hook/Pile tape was getting raggedy on mine [:/] and it must have come out of the stow a little bit during all the shuffle. :S

Anyway, safety saw my static line stay in the corner of the trail edge of the door instead of rising to the top and then saw the green, pulled out his JM knife and cut it. :S

Chute opened, no problem, even "lowered" my gear which actually just fell to the ground because my lowering line was cut, and landed about 20 feet from the edge of the DZ! Damn that was a long walk back!!! >:(

So, I said screw that military crap and started skydiving!!! ;)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

I have 15 military jumps courtesy of 3rd Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment and I must say. Only had fun on 2 of them! The Army knows how to take the fun out of everything!:P
1100 ft. was the highest, most from 600-700 ft., lowest from 450 ft.!:o

I have to agree with you! What's fun about waking up at the butt-crack of dawn to sit around geared up for hours waiting for a plane that will probably break? B|

Another story... We had a CASA come down to Bragg from CSS up in Louisburg, NC for a Saturday Proficiency Jump and I got lucky enough to get on the first pass so I could get home and get on with my day... yeah right.:S After being put out at 1500 ft at about 15 knot winds, and a bad spot by the JM I spent the next few hours trying to get out of a tree! :S The funny thing is we were jumping MC1-1's so I thought I was going to be able to steer that puppy! [:/]

The fun part is hanging out with all the other jumpers and NOT being in the office!!! ;)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Check out this website for the next generation in military static-line canopies.

www.paraflite.com/html/advancedparachute.html

They were in competition for over two years with Irvin. They ended up buying Irvin. I was involved in the test program for Irvin.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I was kicking 540 pound dummies out of the twin-bo yesterday with Ed Peters (Irvin) doing TSO drops on a new reserve. That's fun stuff. Well, all but fetching "stormin norman" off the dz.

Is ed petters out of the So. Cal. shop?
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What happened.. did some rigger get carried away with all the stitching for pack closure.. or is she just too light to break it open:P

Not a problem I ever had...

Amazon

Jumping into Italy, a guy named Washington failed to properly secure the lowering line on his rucksack. It draped over the end of a bench seat next to the door on the C-130, and he was being thumped against the fuselage as the next couple of guys went.

The jumpmaster stuck his head out and saw Washington being dragged, so, thinking fast, he began to pull the unfortunate trooper back in. Unfortunately, he tried to do so by means of the static line.

Miraculously, nobody was injured when the bench seat was ripped loose and dragged out the door.

For what it's worth, the bulk of guys with whom I served would be rejected for enlistment these days. The average IQ was like room temperature, and these kind of bonehead incidents were the norm.

Blue skies,

Winsor

For what it's worth, the bulk of guys with whom I served would be rejected for enlistment these days. The average IQ was like room temperature, and these kind of bonehead incidents were the norm.
Winsor

During the Vietnam days it was hard to find people who wanted to be cannon fodder. Much of the time anyone with a heartbeat and a reasonable I.Q. was accepted. That is one reason I chose to get out. Don't get me wrong there were also lot's of great people who served back then, but it may not have been the norm. (particularly in the grunt outfits). One of my MOS's was 11-B and I would have hated to go into combat with many of those guys, back in the early 70's that I trained with.

Lowering lines were sometimes a problem. Ours were held in place with two rubber bands and they could come undone. The biggest problem I saw with lowering lines was that sometimes they weren't fastened to the main lift web properly. I saw one guys equipment bounce because the buckle on the end was too large for the smaller webbing of his lowering line. It was fastened but came undone when he dropped it.....Steve1