zerojumps

Wanting that first jump (OR)

Hey Gang,

Hows it going? I am in envy of the skydiving sport. I visited my local dropzone (skydive oregon) once as a spectator and still want to get that first jump under my belt. I have the usual insurance questions.

I contacted the USPA to find out if they had the supplemental life insurance policies that ONLY covered skydiving because I don't need to pay a bunch of extra premiums for an all-encompassing policy that simply adds skydiving to the top.

The USPA rep said I would simply have to join and then they would refer me. This sounds simple except I probably wouldn't pursue skydiving if my desired product doesn't exist.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated
Thx
DJ

Hi and welcome to the forums! Hopefully there is someone here that is in the insurance business that can help with your question.

I have "Soldiers Group Life Insurance" which covers everything. I have never had to explore the skydiving coverage option.

Let us know how helpful USPA was in referring you . . . I for one will be interested in the feedback.
Arrive Safely

John

Hey Gang,

Hows it going? I am in envy of the skydiving sport. I visited my local dropzone (skydive oregon) once as a spectator and still want to get that first jump under my belt. I have the usual insurance questions.

I contacted the USPA to find out if they had the supplemental life insurance policies that ONLY covered skydiving because I don't need to pay a bunch of extra premiums for an all-encompassing policy that simply adds skydiving to the top.

Links for USPA supplemental life and disability insurance have already been posted. Health or medical insurance is probably a bigger concern. Most accidents in the sport of skydiving are not fatal, but cause injuries such as broken legs, compressed vertebrate, etc. They are rare, but these accidents do happen, and you should have basic health coverage. USPA does NOT have a vendor that offers health insurance. For that you need a more comprehensive policy.

One of the things I've done when traveling is to buy a cheap "travelers" policy from the airport. Those usually provide basic coverage when more than 50 or 100 miles from home, but don't cover you unless you are traveling. Some also have restrictions on skydiving. I've used them for out of country BASE trips, Florida skydiving trips, SCUBA trips, and general travel. There are also a few companies that add medivac coverage when traveling, and that's another cool option.

Travelers plans add coverage to your existing plan, provide first line coverage, or can help with deductibles, and in some cases can provide air assist with return travel. They don't help much if you are at your local DZ.

Think carefully about what you want coverage for. If you are young and single with no family, then life insurance probably isn't a big deal. Ideally, you just need enough cash savings on hand, or coverage to settle your estate and provide for burial. If you have family or outstanding debts, then life insurance is more important. Disability coverage is pretty critical in case you have a serious accident that requires long term care, and that applies no matter what your station in life. Health coverage is important for financial security in the event of an accident.

Buy the coverage you think you need.

Tom Buchanan
Author, JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Tom,

How did you know I bought a copy of your book ? :) I accidently double ordered through Amazon and sold the extra copy of "JUMP" to a friend at work.

On my insurance concerns, I should have been a bit more specific. I work at a large company with health, life, and disability. The health and disability don't care about skydiving, but the life policy does. I am married with a kid and mortgage, therefore I will not even attempt a tandem jump until some kind of life coverage is in place.

I have already contacted the USPA rep under the [insurance] section and was told to first join the USPA and they would refer me to the re-insurance outfit for a life policy.

My inquiry is very simple: I want a life policy the covers skydiving, but does NOT cover auto, fatal illness, drowning, meteor strikes, bullets, motorcycles, ricin and VX poisoning, and every other type of non-skydiving related "normal" death.

Thanks
-DJ

I have a life insurance policy for $100.000. It covers skydiving and only cost $15.00 a month. It was offered to me by a mailing from my bank US Bank. The insurance company is Great West. Their policy only goes to $100,000, but has only 1 exclusion and that is suicide. Skydive Oregon is a great dropzone and (my home DZ), the staff is world class.
Blue Skies
Kirk

Actually, many life insurance policies _will_ cover skydiving, if you have the policy _before_ you start skydiving. You'd have to check your policy to see if it's specifically excluded and you might want to bounce it off a lawyer.

Personally, I found disability insurance that covers skydiving a LOT harder to find. What company is your disability insurance through?

Another company to try (this is who USPA recommended to me) is Sadler & Co. Sports Ins. - 1-866-711-7233. I haven't called them but I'd be curious to hear what they have to say if you call them.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

I wanted to thank everybody for making an effort to direct me to some answers for insurance related questions.

From Sadler & Co. Sports Ins. - 1-866-711-7233, I left a message. I hope I got the right number, it was the voice mail of a guy named Brian. I will see if I get a return call.

I think the disability plan is OK because the only thing I have found in my plan referes to "An intentionally self-inflicted injury."

-DJ

As for Disability, Yes, it probably means that they'll cover it - but chances are you wouldn't get coverage at all if you were a skydiver when you signed up. :( I've been calling all over and can't find a disability insurance company that'll even TALK to you if you say you're a skydiver.

That's the 866 number USPA gave me but I don't know it's 100% accurate... [:/]

I found this web site for them http://www.sadlersports.com/ and it lists a different number... (800)622-7370.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

On the insurance issue, I finally gained some traction on www.quotesmith.com.

Getting the quote is thing, but getting an actual policy is another.

I noticed the more expensive policies allow you to be a private pilot and have certain family medical histories and scuba down to 65 ft. I am surprised they don't have a specific such as "regularily opens canopy at or above 3500" :)

When I end up getting a good policy, I'll list the details under a different thread.

-DJ

I commend you for exploring all of your options before jumping into a life changing situation.I also understand your need for life insurance.
But,at the same time, I wonder if you've truly recognized what skydiving truly is.
It is more of a way of life than something you go and do on the weekends.
We create our own policies through safety, training and currency.Nothing else will keep you from getting hurt.Just like any other extreme sport, things can and do happen.
I think before you shop for insurance you should ask yourself if you are really prepared to take and accept the risks involved
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

But,at the same time, I wonder if you've truly recognized what skydiving truly is.

We create our own policies through safety, training and currency.Nothing else will keep you from getting hurt.

It's hard to fully recognize skydiving having never done it. I have been interested in it for over a decade. The first bit of research I performed was reading accident reports. I distinctively remember phrases like "we pulled off his blood soaked helmet to check for a pulse"

No matter how fun or life changing it is, I simply can't do it without insurance. My wife would kill me (oh wait; that's not what I meant)

-DJ

absolutely! I understand all of the things that you have said. I agree wholeheartedly, but it seems to me that you may be so preoccupied with the danger aspect that you could be over analyzing the sport.Yes, it is highly dangerous and yes it is potentially fatal, but do we dwell on these things or do we live our lives to the fullest extent.My best advice is either relax , jump, and enjoy yourself, or don't
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I distinctively remember phrases like "we pulled off his blood soaked helmet to check for a pulse"
-DJ

Where on earth did you ever read a comment like that??!?!

Never really thought about insurance really.. hmm.. ahh well :P:D

but it seems to me that you may be so preoccupied with the danger aspect that you could be over analyzing the sport

I certainly hope the skydiving community has a place for over-analytical, over-planning, over-safe people like myself. I really think we can co-exist with the swinging single, party animals living for the moment.

The health and disability don't care about skydiving, but the life policy does. not attempt a tandem jump until some kind of life coverage is in place.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hey Dj I am am Insurance agent, and a tandem instructor at Skydive Oregon. I would be interested in helping solve all your stated problems. Humm. except the attempted tandem, there is no attempt. Once we leave the Otter door we are going to do it. As for the Skydiving life styles they are as varied as as you can conceive. Of course there are the single wild ones, but the group i jump with the most are all either married or in long term committed relationships. Any way do you have a copy of the actual policy i would like to read the exceptions.
USPA does have an life policy, but i do not know if it is approved in Oregon.
photo by Corey ParkerB|

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

satCP.jpg

absolutely! I understand all of the things that you have said. I agree wholeheartedly, but it seems to me that you may be so preoccupied with the danger aspect that you could be over analyzing the sport.Yes, it is highly dangerous and yes it is potentially fatal, but do we dwell on these things or do we live our lives to the fullest extent.My best advice is either relax , jump, and enjoy yourself, or don't

It's quite possible that he'll be able to relax more and therefore reap more enjoyment from the sport if he has a life insurance policy and knows that in the event of the worst that his family will be taken care of. Something to think about.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Furthermore, it sounds to me like his need for life insurance is evidence of his ability to gauge the risks vs. the rewards of skydiving. As we have seen far too much the past few weeks, SKYDIVING CAN KILL YOU. There is plenty of time to get involved in the social aspects of the skydiving community. I commend zerojumps for wanting to play it safe out there. The last thing we need is divers unwilling or unable to contemplate the risks involved before becoming involved.
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All