masher

FAI sporting licence

In some recent threads about record attempts and such, it's been mentioned that the participants need to get their FAI sporting licence (or something like that) in order for the record to be valid.

When I got my licence pack a few weeks ago, it included my A licence certificate and an FAI sporting licence. Furthermore, my A certificate stated that it wasn't valid without a valid FAI sporting licence.

So my question is: doesn't everyone get an FAI licence automatically, or is it an Australian thing?
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

So my question is: doesn't everyone get an FAI licence automatically, or is it an Australian thing?
--

Must be an Australian thing. When I got my A it did not coem with a FAI sporting license.

Blue Skies
Steve
Ok, so it's pink, but I'm secure in my manhood, and I still look cool coming in under it!

Must be an Australian thing. ;)

In the US to get an FAI sporting license you have to send US$35 to the NAA (National Aeronautic Association). In return they send you the FAI license (number is the same as USPA membership number) that is valid for one year.

I know you must have a valid FAI license to participate in a world record attempt. Does anyone know if one is required to compete at a world meet?

I am curious then are your Licenses (CoPs) not sanctioned by the FAI? I have never heard of an FAI sporting license as far as I knew my licenses allowed me to participate in world competitions. They all bear an FAI logo.

I am not sure though as I have never competed internationally.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

In the US to get an FAI sporting license you have to send US$35 to the NAA (National Aeronautic Association). In return they send you the FAI license (number is the same as USPA membership number) that is valid for one year.

:)
in holland we have the same thing, only about $5 for the FAI licence :)
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

Must be an Australian thing. ;)

I know you must have a valid FAI license to participate in a world record attempt. Does anyone know if one is required to compete at a world meet?

There's world records and FAI world records. You only need an FAI license for record categories that are recognized by the FAI.

Example - the proposed all Cessna 100 way will certainly be a world record and an amazing achievement since it's never been done before. The FAI doesn't have a category for this, however.

Likewise the recent 2-point 120-way: FAI has no category for largest formation sequential.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"Apparently that isn't the sporting license though. I believe Pete Knight telling me that he had to get a special license for the 300 way"

Yep that's the case, however in Thailand, where Pete needed his, they spent a day checking everyone's certs and licenses, and where necessary they did them on the spot.
An FAI D license is an incredibly useful thing to have anyways. Jumping at different DZs internationally is way easier than showing logbooks, and explaining different national license requirements.
I have never had to show my logbook at a new DZ since I got mine many years ago.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson