Keith

Do you pack your own rig?

I pack my own because I want to know what ball of crap is going to come out of the container when I throw out the PC. Besides, no one knows my gear as well as I do

as a packer, I love this thought process. I have seen several riggers, and many others with a lot of pack jobs to their credit, give themselves worse openings than they ever get from a packer. who would you rather trust, someone with 100 pack jobs or someone with a few thousand? this past weekend I had two of my customers (one with about 300 jumps, one over a thousand) come down and bitch about their openings. turns out they both packed their own and forgot until I reminded them.

and 3 pack jobs equals one jump ticket!

that makes total sense. why not just say that to begin with?

I pack my own but am not apposed to others packing it. When I was training, I used a packer. There is no way I could have jumped as much with one... Thanks TJ !!

I'd prefer having lizzieb pack it for me though, I'm lazy :P

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

When I started jumping in 1975 I always packed my own, even just after jump #1. I had to repack the Pappillion my instructor sold me but he was making me do it under his supervision. Then again jump #5 was a streamer and was my first cutaway.:$
When I started back in the sport in March of this year I took a packing class from a rigger on a wet rainy day when there was nothing else to do. I prefer packing my own.. that way I only have myself to blame when I have a malfunction.:)

Amazon

Yea, I pack my rig most of the time when i jump. The only time i may not pack is if im at a big ass boogie and i get tired and pay a packer. Like Quincy 2000. I never had too much problem with packers except on one occasion had a damn hard opening...other than that No..Problemo..B|

The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

Definitely pack my own. I didn't when I was renting student gear I figured the pack job was in the rental.

Will ocaisionaly give it to a packer if I'm tired or trying to make a quick turn around.

about a 50 to 1 ratio.

Blue Skies Black Death

i only have someone pack for me when i have done like more then 7 jumps a day and am tired of packing ....and i have to trust that person.

phooey!! i made 7 last weekend packing for myself AND packed 14 others.... almost paid for my jumps that day!! B|

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I'm still pretty new to the sport. I started in September and have packed from as soon as i could. I think it was like jump 13 or so. Now i'm up to jump 37 and pack for my DZ. I had the winter of course to work on my technique and get my speed down.

I always pack my own. I am too paranoid to let anyone else do it. Plus, I find that it helps you know your gear better.

In my S/L First Jump Course back in 1988, you had to learn to pack as part of the course, and then have 10 supervised pack jobs before they cleared you to pack your own. This was at a military club with a week long (evenings) FJC. That system might not be viable in the commercial market. However, what worries me is I have seen people lately who had as high as a "B" license and either could not pack, or were not confident in their own ability to pack.

CDR

I pack my own because I want to know what ball of crap is going to come out of the container when I throw out the PC. Besides, no one knows my gear as well as I do

as a packer, I love this thought process. I have seen several riggers, and many others with a lot of pack jobs to their credit, give themselves worse openings than they ever get from a packer. who would you rather trust, someone with 100 pack jobs or someone with a few thousand? this past weekend I had two of my customers (one with about 300 jumps, one over a thousand) come down and bitch about their openings. turns out they both packed their own and forgot until I reminded them.

I pack all my own for that reason. I have only 2 jumps on my own gear that were not packed by me.

#1 By Packin Cathy's crew at Rantoul. The 1 and only slammer up to that point I had ever had on that canopy (Sabre 135). Came back unhappy, but not bitching. Discussed the way I pack it to get nice, soft openings with Cathy. I had already paid for 2 pack jobs (dz.com record attempts, needed speed) so her crew got it again.

#2 immedialty following #1 I got hit with number 2. #1 cracked me. #2 hit me so hard my neck hurt the rest of the day, I felt dizzy, and saw stars. Told them how unhappy I was as I staggered back to my tent to pack it myself.

2 paid pack jobs by professionals. 2 slammers, one of which was extremely bad.

result? I pack my own now, period.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I'm with you Jim, I've hired a packer maybe 6 or 7 times, and every time I've had just funky shit happen, like a riser hanging up under the reserve container (not possitive where, some squirming cleared it), they rolled the nose on my crossfire after I told them to do nothing to it :o (1 and only packjob not by me or Derek on that canopy), and just other little things that bugged me like hard pulls.

My biggest petpeeve though is the packers that drag your rig across the floor when they stow the lines, it might be faster for them, but when it is my $4000 rig, I'm treating it like gold.

Fly it like you stole it!

oh it's about a fifty split. i ask myself, how lazy do i feel, will i miss the five bucks? you know it just depends on my mood. i trust a couple of the packers at my small dz more than i trust myself.:S

Only when I want a malfunction. :)

hehe
let me pack and tell me what kind of malfunction you like, and if you really want i can steal your canopy if you pay extra

let me know
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

It leaves you more time to find a beer at the end of the day while the packer does that last one. That is mostly the only time I don't pack mine. The packers I use are reliable, jump, and have riggers tickets as well.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143