jonnym84

AFF Trouble

I'm having trouble learning the front and back flips in my AFF training. Any suggestions?

when your in your arch position. imagine you have a stick going through both hands....

quickly take that stick and break it accross your knees and go back to the arch position...... you will then have done a backflip

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but we were not required to do picture perfect flips. The whole reasoning behind doing the flips is to prove that you can regain stability from an unstable move. Thus, as long as we were mostly going over in approximately the correct attitude, and we regained stability quickly enough, we were passed. In fact, we had a student doing barrel rolls this weekend who was told that instead of a barrel roll, she actually performed some sort of very advanced freefly move, but she still passed. Is this different for others?

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

Same here, Did part backflip and part corkscrew or something like that.
Was told in advance that the idea behind this exercise was to become unstable and that I didn't need to worrie much about the backflip itself.

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The advice about trying it in the water is good... let me share one thing that would have helped ME in my AFF... hopefully you don't have this problem.

I had no problem initiating flips, and as far as popping an arch to regain stability, I thought I was pretty good at it. Until level 6. I did one backflip. Then another. Then another. I flipped for about 5000 feet. All I saw was green, blue, green, blue. I couldn't check my altimeter, but I knew the clock was ticking and the green looked a little bigger each time. So I said to myself, if I don't stop on the next green, I'm pulling anyway. Somehow I stopped, my JM (Bob Hallett) was at my side in 0.01 seconds, grabbing my arm and giving me a dirty look. I glanced at my alti, waved off and pulled.

What did I do wrong? Well as I said, at the time I thought I was pretty good at popping an arch and recovering from anything. And I was... I popped a good arch at the hips and had a good body position... from the waist up! According to Bob my feet had been touching my ass the whole time. Which makes it easy to see why the flips wouldn't stop. It seems I had a bad habit of focusing so much on my arms and upper body, that I'd forget about my legs, just assuming that "relaxing" them would be enough. Well, to stop from back flipping, you have to put some MUSCLE into them. Relaxing can be taken too far.

It was a problem I had to deal with for the next 20 jumps or so on my own, sometimes I'd find myself slipping back into some sort of unstability, and after 5 seconds of staring at my upper body, realizing, oh yeh, my legs are wrong! So the fix I developed for myself was anytime I got shaky, I would arch (relax) from the hips up, but get stiff and straight from the hips down. Not sure if this is good advice or something you should follow, and I'm certainly not an instructor, so talk to yours. That was just my experience.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I'm having trouble learning the front and back flips in my AFF training. Any suggestions?

keep in mind the goal is not to do a perfect backflip, the goal is to get you unstable and to be able to prove you can get stable again. Odds are your jm wont care if you dont do a perfect backflip as long as you go from unstable back to stable again

stop. It seems I had a bad habit of focusing so much on my arms and upper body, that I'd forget about my legs, just assuming that "relaxing" them would be enough. Well, to stop from back flipping, you have to put some MUSCLE into them. Relaxing can be taken too far.

I think you are not alone on this. I had the same problem with 'forgetting' the legs but it was way sooner (the first few levels).
My instructors thaught me to arch on the ground as most do i guess.
I decided instead of simply doing as the instrutors said, to use a support under my feet so I could realy push my legs down a bit.
This helped my to get that mussle memory in those legs.

No idea if leg position is what is bothering Jon though.
Might be he simply cannot stay on heading while in the backflip. Good idea here might be to not put arms straight out but a little to left and right I think. That's a novices idea on this so I could very well be totaly wrong so ASK YOUR INSTRUCTORS!

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Yeh, I'm not sure if I answered his question, but I mainly just wanted to provide a warning that might prevent him from what was a scary experience for me. Really the best way to practice the flips is in water, which someone already said.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

What got me through my level 6 backloops were: #1) I superarched to gain some speed before initiating the back loop so I had enough momentum to make it all the way around which is what I see many students having problems with #2) Be aggressive #3) Tuck #4) Throw your head back and arms forward pushing down on the air on both sides of your body while keeping your knees bent #5) Don't stop the maneuver until you see your feet pass over the crest and you are on the downhill slope #6) now the hard part is over and gravity is on your side. Arch Arch Arch to regain stability in a belly to earth body position.

To go forward picture yourself rolling or doing somersaults. Tuck and Roll.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."