dreamsville

Is packing instruction sign-off required for your DZ's AFF/AFP program?

To get your AFF/AFP student sign-off, do you need to watch a member of the rigging/staff pack and then demonstrate that you have learned the lesson with correct pack jobs? We had to do this, so I'm wondering what other DZs policies are, since some posts make it sound as if the requirements may be uneven.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

yup, although on the little a-license card is says that you need to do a supervised pack-job, but since they were really busy the day i wanted to do mine one of the instructors said to just pack it and if it opened i got my A if i didnt i had to try again:P:D:D
(in all fairness he knew i knew how to pack already)

If your DZ is following the ISP you will need to demonstrate that you can pack effectively and jump your pack job. It is part of the 2 page and 4 page A license Proficiency card and must be signed off by an AFF-I. It is not necessarily part of AFF, but you need it to get your "A" license. I "learned" to pack shortly after getting through AFF.

Shark
AFF-I

Perris has a packing course and they do require it for the A license. I hadn't jumped for so many years that I didn't know how to pro pack, so I took the course and learned how. The instructor was really good, he just had me go over each step again and again and then moved on to the next step. I think I finally packed the thing 3 times start to finish before jumping it, which is good. It makes it a habit. The final exam is jumping your pack job and watching it open over your head. That instills confidence.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Perris has a packing course and they do require it for the A license. I hadn't jumped for so many years that I didn't know how to pro pack, so I took the course and learned how. The instructor was really good, he just had me go over each step again and again and then moved on to the next step. I think I finally packed the thing 3 times start to finish before jumping it, which is good. It makes it a habit. The final exam is jumping your pack job and watching it open over your head. That instills confidence.

pretty much exactly the same at Eloy..the school packers teach the course and you've got to schedule it with them when the tandems arent flowing in continuously..

Not sure if you care, but here is a Canadian perspective. We do not need the parking endorsement until we apply for our B-license.

The license structure is somewhat different. First you go off student status, then you get your solo certificate, which just allows you to jumpmaster yourself, and you can only jump with a coach or instructor. After that comes your a-license. Now you can do 2 ways, but only with a b-licensed jumper and that jumper needs a minimum of 100 in the discipline of the jump plus coach 2 approval. Then you get your b-license (for which you will need your packing endorsment). It is possible to get your b-license in 50 jumps or more.

Actually Skydekker you now need a main parachute packing endorsement to get your A CoP. To get that endorsement you are supposed to perform 10 supervised packs (by coach, instructor or rigger) and also complete a packing test consisting of clearing a minor entanglement and identifing the basic parts of the canopy.

I think it used to be a requirement for the B but when they changed the Licenses a couple years back they include packing in the A.

To get your AFF/AFP student sign-off, do you need to watch a member of the rigging/staff pack and then demonstrate that you have learned the lesson with correct pack jobs? We had to do this, so I'm wondering what other DZs policies are, since some posts make it sound as if the requirements may be uneven.
|

I noticed Kevin the Rigger teaching the packing course at SkydiveChicago yesterday so I asked him. He signs off the students after they've jumped their own pack job that he supervises.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

WHile the "A" License Proficiency Card requires a supervised pack job. That means a final sign-off for you to be able to pack your own.

At our DZ, you are required to attend a formal packing class. You have to pack it enough times to feel like you can pass the test.

Our test is you must pack it three times in a row -perfectly. If you flunk during any of the three supervised, you start over at number one.

Then we throw a wad at you and you must untangle, perform continuity check and pack. If you pass the three test and flunk the wad test, you stay at the wad test until you pass.

Sorry, we're a bit anal about packing.

Feel free, Kris. If you tell the students the test before the packing class... They will give you their undivided attention during the packing class.
It has reduced the number of; "I don't remember what we did here" questions.

ALso, I'm going to PM you my "Student Packing Checklist" that I give them during the packing class. I let them follow the bouncing ball, then use it while they practice.

Feel free to use them also.