chuteless

Passenger no chute..Pilot has a chute

Put yourself in this position> Its a true story, and in 1943, they didnt know the thibngs about parachuting that are known now. A pilot of a DH Mosquito bomber was going for a test flight. A friend wanted to go along for the ride, but didnt have a chute. The pilot said, Okay. lets go. They climbed to altitude ( perhaps 15000 or more) and the plane started to come apart. They had serious gluing problems with the main spar. The Pilot couldnt get past the passenger to jump, as the way was narrow, and the passenger was blocking the door and wouldnt let the pilot out.. The passenger wasnt about to leave without a chute, and there was no other exit for the pilot . Both died in the crash. Imagine what was going through their minds....and what was being said. The conversation wouldnt have lasted too long, but I'll bet there was some choice words.

I would give the guy a few chances to let me out then I would push him out. Harsh I know, but I don't want to die because some fuck can't think in a high pressure situation.

Alternately, if I was the guy without a parachute, I would let the pilot jump and grab the controls and try to crash land. Kinda hard to do if the plane was coming unglued though :o

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

In the Mossy, the door is quite small, and the pilot could not have reached the handle if the passenger was blocking the way. Its too bad they didnt open the door, and do a Mr Bill type exit....It probably would have worked. he planes were often coming unglued, so it may have been tumbling which would have complicated the situation at best.

The Pilot couldnt get past the passenger to jump, as the way was narrow, and the passenger was blocking the door and wouldnt let the pilot out.. The passenger wasnt about to leave without a chute

Since they both died in the crash, how do we know this?

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

The Pilot couldnt get past the passenger to jump, as the way was narrow, and the passenger was blocking the door and wouldnt let the pilot out.. The passenger wasnt about to leave without a chute

Since they both died in the crash, how do we know this?

Conduct a seance, how else?

The interior of the DH Mosquito is well known. Its designers are aware that the only way for the pilot to get out would be blocked by a passenger who would have sat closest to that exit. It would have been impossible for the pilot to get past the passenger. If the passenger didnt have a chute, and the pilot did, it would have been absolutely necessary for the passenger to get out of the aircraft before the pilot could leave. Since the wings were broken off because of the main spar coming unglued, the aircraft could not have been directed by a pilot. The pilot's only chance to save himself, would be to jump, however he was unable to do so, because the passenger blocked the small channel/crawlspace that led to the door. However, as I said earlier, the plane would likely have been flopping around wildly, an that alone would hav made things difficult. The location of the passenger would have made it relatively easy to get out of the door buy he had no parachute.By not leaving without one to a sure death, he blocked the one man who could have saved himself..the pilot.

or, you could think about it a different way:

maybe the pilot realized that to save himself via parachute, it would mean his friend would die. So perhaps he never even tried to jump, but instead he stayed at the controls, trying to crash land the plane, so both their lives would be saved. unfortionately, the plane was damaged too much, and they died in the crash.

I think this view is a little less cynical, but also a little less funny :ph34r:

MB 3528, RB 1182

when the main spar becomes unglued, the wings fall apart and come off. there is no way anyone can control an aircraft that is breaking up and has no wings...There had been numerous such breakups with Mossys, and a special investigator finally found the solution of the glue. It was corrected, and the qwar carried on with the DH Mosquito being one of he best planes ever built. Those mosquitos carried death.....and it wasnt from West Nile Virus

The Pilot couldnt get past the passenger to jump, as the way was narrow, and the passenger was blocking the door and wouldnt let the pilot out.. The passenger wasnt about to leave without a chute, and there was no other exit for the pilot . Both died in the crash.

If both died in the crash, how is it possible to know these type of details? If it "came unglued," I'm doubtful two folks are physically capable of standing at the door engaging in debate.

You obviously dont know much about aircraft crash investigations. This one was carried out by a high ranking officer of the RAF, and the facts were the pilot could not go around or through the passenger. The conversation can only be surmised, but I sure the pilot wanted to get out...he had a chute. I am equally sure that the passenger did not want to jump without a chute in order that the pilot could jump with his. There had been quite a few ungluing crashes, but the ungluing was not determined until this crash. Put yourself in the pilot's place...and what would you do? put yourself in the passenger's place....and what would you do? remember, this war in 1943 in Burma (Myanmar) and things were quite different than as we know crashes and parachuting today.