thebeev

AFF 7

Hey Everyone,

Did my Level 6 and 7 AFF today. At a skydiving festival. Out of a Polka - Dotted Pilatus Porter. Fun stuff, anyway. My level 7 was an solo exit. I reallly exit bad I was all over the place. My JM had to come stable me, I did my 180 and 360 turns fine but that exit got me. Really bummed me out, I was doing well through AFF and then that damn exit. Has anyone done a level 7 and that happen to them? Any pointers would be great. Thanks!
Medbill DME Billing Service

Was that solo exit the poised one or the dive one?

I've never had a problem with my exits, but if you just arch and eventually you'll stable out fine. I've learned to just take it one step at a time.

Your jump takes a min, just because you blew part of it doesn't make the whole jump a write off.

Just smile, it really relaxes you, and enjoy the jump even if you can't enjoy ALL of your jump.

Visualize a good exit and have more confidence than is justified.

Don't freak out if you go past vertical at first, you are still only in a slight track relative to the wind. The tendency/mistake is to give up and do a roll.

When diving out, put your arms out at first, and put your feet on your butt, or even pull your knees in slightly for just a split second.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

One thing that could be an issue is that the door is on the right side of the plane...are you used to jumping out of planes that have a door on the left side??? Sometimes that can through you for a loop.

Anyways, with exits, especially if you havent jumped out of that plane before...its good to practice in a similar mockup or the actual plane if you can. I recommend to my students to cheat the exit as much as physically possible. Get yourself in as much of a presented position to the relative wind as you can. That goes for floating exits, diving exits, etc. There are quite a few little tricks and theory that goes along with this...but its a bit tought to explain over the web. Its a lot easier to show you at a mock up or in person anyways.

My AFF was ok, but when I was doing my first solo jump, I dived and tried to get into a front looping at the same time (it was not a good idea) I started to turn like crazy and there was anyone there to help me. Well I had 45 s to relax and get to a stable position. It is very simple! Relax and arc. You will be ok!
Blue skies.

Thanks for the reply everyone. I'm used to jumping out of a Beech99. I just think the whole "solo exit" gave me alot of the jitters. (Cloud - it was a poised) I just need to keep telling my self to relax, once I'm in the arch position I'm good to go. I guess its kinda like golf, (just played a couple times) everyone told me not to try and kill the ball but just take a relax smooth swing. You'll hit it better. Anyway, golf puts me to sleep. I'd rather be skydiving :D
Medbill DME Billing Service

Don't worry about it, Beev. It's just one exit. You'll get 'er next time.

Another tip for poised exits: Watch the plane go away during the launch.

Claim your victories. Analyze what you think might've gone wrong with it, make a mental note or two, then move on. Don't waste time being bummed out about the exit, be excited about your kickass 360's! :)
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I just did my level 7 this past Sunday (I posted my level 8 grad dive at http://www.580fifth.com/skydive not that anyone cares, but I AM EXCITED)

Anyway, I did the exact same thing as you on level 7 - Poised solo exit, and didn't know which way was up, just started tumbling. But, all I did was relax and relized that I was on my back, Crossed my heart & rolled out of bed. athen moved on to the loop and did the same thing, ended up on my back. Fixed that just by staying calm and doing what I was taught. The rest of the dive went great and when I got to the ground I was afraid that I had failed because the exit and the loop were sooo sloppy. Anyway, my instructor pretty much told me that it isn't necessarily how good the exit or the loop is, it's weather you can stay calm and recover from an instability. Well, I passed every level of AFF on 1 try. Just stay calm do what your taught, and enjoy it.

I just did my level 7 this past Sunday (I posted my level 8 grad dive at http://www.580fifth.com/skydive not that anyone cares, but I AM EXCITED)

I sure was interested, since I haven't even started yet. It looked great! Congratulations! I watch all the video I can, and it was suggested that if the wallet allows, to have all the AFF jumps through 8 videoed when I start.

Bob

Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman