freefalle

Why do cops confiscate BASE rigs

Under your factual scenario, you did not trespass, and therefore could not be prosecuted for it.

So, I you own a radio tower in the middle of BFE and 100 acres around it, jumpt to heart's content!

On the other hand, lawrockets 6th commandment of law enforcement is "Thou shalt do nothing for which cops cannot find a reason to cite thou." Maybe "disturbing the peace" or "reckless endangerment." They'll find something.. [:/]

p.s. sorry if I misunderstood you..

My wife is hotter than your wife.

All I have to say is some people will NEVER git "it". Lets stop beating this thing.B|B| Unless some one can ansure If they get it back or not, as keven922 was so kind to do.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

"Thou shalt do nothing for which cops cannot find a reason to cite thou." Maybe "disturbing the peace" or "reckless endangerment." They'll find something..

And that, my friend, is the sad part. If only those in authority could see the beauty of BASE and realize just how many jumps are made each year, often under the cover of darkness with the absolute minimal impact on others or surroundings, I doubt we'd be having this discussion.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

>If only those in authority could see the beauty of BASE and realize just
> how many jumps are made each year, often under the cover of darkness
> with the absolute minimal impact on others or surroundings, I doubt
>we'd be having this discussion.

I'm not sure I understand. It's not that the cops are against BASE, it's that landowners don't want you using their property to jump - and property rights are strongly protected in the US. Why would a property owner choose to allow an activity that might involve him in a lawsuit, if he's not a BASE jumper and doesn't care much about the sport?

"Absolute minimal impact on surroundings" - look up why BASE jumping was banned in Yosemite.

Let's see. BASE is not altogether illegal. Look at West Virginia every year, hundreds of BASE jumpers jumping legally, with civil servant protection. The government of WV allows annual BASE from the bridge.

Maybe the illegal BASE jumpers should try talking to the construction companies or the corporate owners of these tall buildings, towers, etc. and strike a deal for legal BASE. Thought?

I do have a bone to pick, though.

They are paid with taxpayer money to respond to situations

Dude, would you rather have no firefighters, police officers, paramedics, or mailmen? All these are paid through government funds that are supported by taxpayers dollars. But they also serve their purpose. I agree that the rescuers in Minnesota should not have taken 2 hours to come up with a plan for rescue, but then again, maybe they are not used to that kind of rescue.

The BASE rig is proof only for conviction. After sentencing, or after the discipline is delt (community service, etc.), the rig is to be returned under legal precedence, unless the accused is sentenced to serve time in a guarded facility (jail, prison, etc), then the rig SHOULD be tagged and returned when the sentence is over. (Had a conversation with a lawyer about this, just to find out). If the gear is not returned after sentencing, it is the legal right of the accused to ask for it and/or to find out why it is not being returned. Find out under what further legal precedence it is being kept and under what conditions it can be returned.
Sorry, my lawyer has not ever tried this kind of case, since Iowa isn't exactly the BASE capital of the world.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

I agree with billvon here.

The best solution is to buy 100 acres somewhere, build a tower, and jump to your heart's content.

There is little that really could be done. And Ive never come across a BASE jumping limitation in CC&R's.:P

My wife is hotter than your wife.

What if you were lawfully on a balcony of some B and hopped off? By having a balcony with unfettered access, the owner gave you permission to be there.

Problematic only if your buddys balcony is on the side of someone else's building. My buddy owns a condo unit, it's his balcony... but I bet it's still a liability issue for the complex/building owner somehow.

I don't buy this "aerial delivery" stuff either. Once you tresspass on foot, the crime is tresspass... climb up the tower, jump off it, you are not being aerially 'delivered' to the property. You're goofing around on the property... leaving that tower would not constitute leaving the property.. unless it was a VERY VERY large tower.. what is the height of private property? ... Anyone?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

;)
Mike,
Your arguments sound like a dyed in the wool base jumper. Argue from a point of fact not emotions. Think about it. Tax payers fund everything you have stated. Just tell me this, which argument you presented is illegal? A cat climbing a tree, smoking, rock climbing? You are correct, irrelevant to the argument as they are legal actions.
If you are willing to pay the price, have at it. Just don't screw things up for the rest of us.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

;)Hey Beav,

IMHO, that is the problem most of the time. We all have emotional opinions and the law is the law, regardless of what we think. As far as lawyers go, yes a bad lawyer can be beaten by the "law" not another lawyer.

As far as you and legal base, sounds like you are willing to pay the price, have fun!

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

if you kill a deer out of season you lose your vehicle and your gun. The reason they keep it even after it has been used against you in court as evidence is to discourage others from risking so much. the risk of losing your gear is to hopefully discourage some people from going ahead with the jump. however to most BASE jumpers the thrill of getting away with it is part of the rush.

right or wrong they take your gear, I don't make the rules -- yet.

"the sweet just aint as sweet without the bitter "