Jimbo

Air travel with your rig.

Nice. Its refreshing to see a sense of humor from the airline industry, especially when it comes to skydivers. Too bad its not this way across the board.

Unfortunately the airlines have instilled fear and doubt in anyone that's flying now. Not of flying but of having everything you own pulled apart and pawed through by unknown hands. My experience flying to Phoenix was fine, but I was still anxious about my rig. I'd be far far happier if they could TSA the bags at check in.

Air Canada's policy on carry on was that I could carry it on if I wished. However the airport itself had a different policy depending on who you talked to. Some officials said "no way", some said "huh?" and some said "ok". Given how annoying and heavy a rig is as carry on, I checked it.

Flying down was fine (Ottawa - Toronto - PHX) but flying back was the issue. I put my rig in a heavy plastic bag (keeps water out - important if you are flying through Heathrow I can tell you), wrapped it in my winter sleeping bag, and checked it in a good hard shell suitcase (along with my hook knifes). I taped a printed notice on the inside of the case, along with the cypres card, explaining what was in the case and saying politely that tampering with the equipment would likely result in death (hopefully that would keep their paws off). If they had any problems here's my name, address, flights I was taking and the times I was taking them.

They didn't touch it anyway. I guess Phoenix are used to rigs now. However they did cut the lock on my clothes case and I know why - my weight vest was in there. Bet that looked good on an xray!

I am extremely hesistant to check my rig anymore, since they are now allowed to go unlock your checked bags and go through them. I don't want some half-literate TSA monkey pulling anything he's not supposed to be pulling without me standing there watching.

Funny (or not) you should mention this. A couple friends of mine, let's change their names to Noreen and Matt, (not that they're particularly innocent), went to the South of the Border Boogie a couple weeks ago. After checking their rigs and passing through security, they were paged back to the checkin counter. "Some half-literate TSA monkey" didn't know how to put their rigs back together. The whole thing - main, reserve, freebag, CYPRES - was strewn across the floor.

At this point, I'm of the opinion that you are way better off carrying the rig than checking it. At least that way you have the opportunity to tell them what it is, present credentials, etc.

Peter

OH MY LORD. I would be IRATE and I don't get irate very often.

"smoking is not allowed on this flight however if you wish to light up we will be happy to offer you a seat on the wing...no the skydiver in row 8 cannot volunteer, so put your hand down..."actually woke up when she said this, i was almost asleep:)

hehehe :D

Gotta love Southwest. Official airline of Northwest Aerosports (my Schedule C business name)
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Nice. Its refreshing to see a sense of humor from the airline industry, especially when it comes to skydivers. Too bad its not this way across the board.

SWA makes the whole air-travel grind a lot more tolerable. I always look forward to flying on their planes.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I don't know about the 99%...I fly into a lot of small airports (I almost expect to see dropzones on half of them) and the TSA :ph34r:s there still look at my MP3 player like it was some photon-laser beam phaser that is going to hypnotize everybody. Usually the more technosavy x-ray operator tells them its ok, but I would like to see their face when you tell them that little digital readout connected to the electronic device inside the "locked" backpack is for flying a parachute.
I hope to do some skydiving on my travels for work, but what more documentation is there other than my USPA card?

...FUN FOR ALL!

"but I would like to see their face when you tell them that little digital readout connected to the electronic device inside the "locked" backpack is for flying a parachute."

What you don't want to tell them is that its really a barometric detonator........if you do, be prepared to assume the position! B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Just going to let everyone know....My trip to Cancun went well (only got one jump though:( due to being a tandem factory). Only small problem was coming from Mexico back. Not speaking much Spanish, it was difficult to explain my rig. The security lady couldnt understand that I couldnt open everything up for her. Finally some guy realized what it was and let me pass. Carrying it on is a pain, but the sense of knowing where it is gives you some peace of mind during the flight.

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....

I have commented on this subject before reference my pre and post 9/11 commercial air travel experiences. The troubles with carrying my (bagged carry-on) rig have become more challenging.

Last month I flew into Daytona Beach, No Prob. Coming out I was detained and interrogated for almost 45 minutes!!! The TSA officials seemed to care less about my paperwork, Uspa Letter, Cypress X-ray card (including manual), USPA license, log book, I even had a photograph of the actual Airtech Cypress system.

One of the TSA 'officials' was hyper-fixated on the Airtech schematic from the manual (P.6) which indicated, "propellant."

He kept asking me, "what is this 'propellant'?" Had it been alone up to this guy, I would have had to walk back...?

They seemed more interested in just feeling me out. Maybe they were stalling for time while they were running my name and photo through the FBI and Intepol???? I kept my cool, and offered to stand on my head if they wanted. It seemed all they wanted to do was inconvenience me?

Finally, at last boarding, they just say, "well ok. If the carrier says its ok with them then fine" NOTE: I had the Delta print-out of approved sporting goods--- Specifically Sport Parachutes!!!!!

What the Fuck!!???

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

Finally, at last boarding, they just say, "well ok. If the carrier says its ok with them then fine" NOTE: I had the Delta print-out of approved sporting goods--- Specifically Sport Parachutes!!!!!

As we have endlessly discussed, there is no problem carrying a parachute. The problem is the Cypres. Delta's policy on allowing Sport Parachutes DOESN'T mean a Cypres is O.K.

First Off, I think were getting a little to Cypres paranoid here or at least some of the screeners are. One of the reason why Cypres is considered a non-hazardous item is because the amount and weight of the activation material is such that it is considered non-hazardous. It falls way under in this category. Same for the Lithium baterries. The amount of Lithium in the battery is such that it is considerd a non-hazardous item. The original German safety testing for Cypres was far more stringent than that done by our US DOT and that is another reason for the DOT approval. This whole Cypres thing can be settled quite easily if the manufacturer would put the US TSO part number on their website. Most of the screeners by now should be aware of the continuing efforts of the USPA and TSA in this regard.

Chris

Thought I had posted this on here but I checked back in the thread and cant find it so heres my gambit.

I flew continental coming back form the US 2 weeks ago. I had a CYPRES in its box and not in a rig cos im still waiting for that bit and the people never batted an eye lid at it even when it went through xray.

What I do have an issue with is people going through my personal checked bags at the airport without my being there to witness it. I feel it is an infirngement of my personal liberites and totally out of order. If somehting went missing I guaruntee you would have no come back at all. Thats just how I feel I do ,however, appreciate the necessaty for the checks just not happy about the methodology [:/]

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Just got a phone call from Lee Gorman Deputy TSA Director from Palm Springs. The policy on parachute rigs and Cypres as worked on by Ed Scott of USPA and Cliff Schmucker of SSK (Cypres) is now out in the field for comments. It essentially say's what quade posted here. He is sending me a copy of it form my comments since I was the one that had a minor problem getting through the security screening checkpoint with my rig in January but eventually I convinced enough people with enough documentation that it was OK.

TSA will finally have a policy published in their screener training manual thanks to a lot of hard work by Ed Scott (USPA) , Cliff Schmucker (SSK-CYPRES) John Andrus (Southwest Airlines) and others.

Incidently I had no problem travelling to the WFFC on Airtran at either end.

Chris

I just flew today from JFK to AUS on American Airlines. I've been traveling for the past 3 weeks to different cities on different airlines like Delta and Northwest and Continental, never with any problems. JFK turned out to be bad, they thought that I would jump out. They refused to let me board the aircraft with my rig, even though I showed them my Cypress card and explained that I can't jump out at that altitude without oxygen. The TSA managers at JFK told me that it is against federal policy, but that is so inconsistent with other TSA managers at other airports (one in an airport in AL responded that he was also a skydiver and he has no problem whatsoever with having sport parachutes on his planes).

Does anyone have anything in writing from American Airlines saying that they won't allow sport rigs as carry-ons? I haven't seen anything addressing the issue.

The next few pages of this forum have posts about the TSA, the USPA, and you. They're worth a read.

My TSA Complaint letter, just emailed

Post TSA or USPA letters to help carry on your rig

TSA and what the USPA is doing.

There are more, you can find them using the 'search' function.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

American Airlines has a policy in their Sabre computer system under Baggage Sports Equipment that allows Sport Parachute rigs to be transported as long as they are not containing dangerous materials.

It seems that lately some of these TSA screeners are making up their own rules. I would ask who the TSA Security Director is for JFK and write him/her a long letter and include your skydiving credentials and also support documents form the USPA website and also support documents from SSK ref. Cypres being unregulated and non-hazardous.

The USPA and TSA have agreed un a solution to this problem and it is presently out in the field to the TSA directors for comment. The solution was posted in another part of this forum and Jimbo has posted the links in the above post.

Incidently the Deputy Director for the PSP airport in California never did send me that FAX on this subject.

Chris