Yoshi

HAVE YOU EVER GONE LOW INTENTIONALLY?

Well, in that case...
The lowest I ever pulled intentionally was somewhere around, or slightly below, 2000'. We were training the whole day, I was flying camera and I got a bit tired of being open at ~3500. So when I got the chance to do a free fun jump, I just played around until I got to 3000 and then watched the ground getting bigger with a kind of sick fascination for another 1000'. And since I was jumping without an AAD, the whole experience was a bit more intense.

any time I decide I am going to suck it down I turn my aad off or jump a rig without one. I also dont jump with other people..... that way less chance of getting knocked out and needing the aad and no one around me to get away from. I have had a full canopy a few times around 900 feet, and watched someone (and saw thier pro track) open at 600. thats a little low for me!

when going low Ill wear 2 audibles and "lock on" to my alti II at about 3000 with one hand on the pilot chute ready to go:)

-yoshi

I once exited an ultralight at 3000', and pulled around 300' (I was watching my altimeter fairly closely, and pulled just as it crossed 300).

I was using a Prism (single canopy pin rig--in other words, a BASE rig), a FOX 265 with a large hole mesh slider, and 32" ZP, large hole mesh BASE pilot chute.

I'd guess that I had around 15-20 seconds of canopy time.

Oh, and I'm no longer welcome at the DZ on that airport. I hardly think that's fair, since I wasn't jumping their aircraft, and I didn't land in their landing area.

I did log the jump in my skydiving log book, though.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I once exited an ultralight at 3000', and pulled around 300' (I was watching my altimeter fairly closely, and pulled just as it crossed 300).

Aren't BASE rigs designed to open with SUB terminal speeds? Didn't you get oner hell of a hard opening then with a base rig at terminal velocity?

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Aren't BASE rigs designed to open with SUB terminal speeds? Didn't you get oner hell of a hard opening then with a base rig at terminal velocity?

BASE rigs do tend to open much harder than skydiving rigs.

Unlike a skydiving rig, a BASE rig is re-rigged for different airspeed deployments on practically every jump. For example, I'd use a different pilot chute, slider (or lack thereof), and packing style for a go and throw, or a terminal cliff, or a wingsuit flight, or a five second delay. Modern BASE rigs can be used for virtually any airspeed, from zero to terminal. While there may be some "low speed only" gear under development, none of it has hit the market yet.

For that terminal jump I used both indirect and direct slider control, a small PC (32"), and a slider (large hole mesh, since I was worried about going too low--if it was a higher deployment, I'd have used small hole mesh, or maybe even a sail slider).

In other words, it's the rigging and packing that determine the speed of the opening, far more than the equipment itself.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

that shounds like someone I met this weekend.... goes by johnny nine lives and jumps his base rig out of helicopters from 500-600 feet.... not for me... I did exit with my crossfire from 1600 ft though... packed it with the nose wide open and a very light roll in the psycho pack

-yoshi

...johnny nine lives...

Of all the crazy things I've seen him do, helicopter jumps from 500 feet aren't even in the top 100. Ask him about car skiing in Mexico sometime...

Seriously, the idea of jumping a skydiving rig from 1600 ft scares me waaaay more than jumping a properly configured BASE rig from 200 ft. The BASE rig is designed for jumps like that. The skydiving rig, on the other hand--you get the idea.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I agree with the rigs. It was definately un-nerving to exit with a crossfire at 1600. I packed it, though, and took extra percaution to get it to open a bit faster than usual. I doubt I will be doing it again any time soon....dont get me wrong it was a major rush, but I like to have a little more alti to play with jsut in case..

-yoshi

Lowest I've exited on a skydiving rig was 1700 feet. We got an earful from the DZO but we insisted it was 2200 feet. ... he knew better. Slap on the hand.

With my BASE rig, I left from 1200 feet and pulled around 400 with a pretty decent canopy ride to boot.

The cool thing was it was a King air. There is NOTHING like the visual you get from tracking at 100 mph that close to the ground.

It's very strange to look at your altimeter at 700 feet and then keep tracking for another couple seconds.

Stupid human tricks at their finest.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Lowest I've exited on a skydiving rig was 1700 feet. We got an earful from the DZO but we insisted it was 2200 feet. ... he knew better. Slap on the hand.

i UNDERSTAND THAT ONE;)

-yoshi