TaeKwonDoDo

How's this for faith in your Student's abilities...

I got my new rig this weekend, but the AAD was OOD and needed to be sent in - and I'm still a few jumps on my yellow card before I get my A - so the S&TA tells me that I'll have to wait till I get the AAD back or finish my yellow card.

OK, NP (except I have to continue renting gear at $20/pop now).

So, I had the rigger do an I&R, and then I packed the main - My 4th or 5th unsupervised pack-job, and my first packjob ever on ZP (I can use the F word here but this time it didn't count cause I couldn't jump it ;)).

So I'm putting on the student gear and the S&TA walks up to me and says "I love those old Sabre's, how about I jump your rig and check out its trim for you"....

I then mentioned that not only did he not observe me pack it, but it was only my 4th or 5th unsupervised pack job on a canopy and fabric I'd never packed before - he said "not a problem", gave me a wink, then said "I trust you".

Long-story-shortened: It opened (whew) and smoothly. I would have felt real bad had I looked below me seeing my white reserve opening and my Sabre gently floating away!

When he came down he swooped under canopy next to me (100' away) and then landed - Tells me its an awesome canopy and I got a killer deal.

Just rambling...

- Jeff

(my first ZP pack was easy, second (repack) was the pack-job from hell)

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

That reminds me when me and a couple of other of AFF students were learning to pack. All of us had a hand in getting the rig together. When it was finally inside the container they just picked it up and put it back on the rack. We were like, "your not going to let somebody just jump that are you?" (it was rental gear) and he was like sure, it'll be fine.

Turns out a girl used it for her graduation hop and pop. We didn't have the nerve to tell her until she got down (it opened) She said thanks for not telling her until afterwards.

(I sure as hell wouldn't of jumped that rig, but what do I know)

My hop-n-pop is next saturday...

Contemplating on using my own pack-job for that one... heck, to my amazement, pack #s 1,2, and 3 did actually open (#2 damn near castrated me though - now I know what a hard opening feels like and to roll the nose better).

Heck, if shit happens on thee H&P, there's always red and sliver, right? :S

- Jeff

I did my first (VERY first, no practices!) pack the other week and hid the rig while I got some food cos I didnt want a someone elses mal on my consicous and was going to jump it myself. My instructor found it and give it to an AFF consol jumper. I was shitting myself until i seen the canopy open and stay open!!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

You have to understand.....ram air canopies WANT to open right. Stow the brakes, keep the lines straight and in the center, and push the slider all the way against the grommets.....and the canopy will REALLY WANT to open properly. You have to violate one of the very basic packing rules to have a canopy like a Sabre mal on you. Either that, or bad deployment.

Mike

The person that taught me to pack had me learning on his canopy. I packed it up with instruction, and he just hung it up, jumped it later worked fine. I asked him, and he replied with "Always have the reserve."

That and he watched me pack it :ph34r:

Jumped quite a few of my own pack jobs now, and its easy to see based on how hard canopys go in the bag that as long as you pack with no walk thrus, out of place lines, etc (as stated above) its gonna open and work.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

So, I had the rigger do an I&R, and then I packed the main - My 4th or 5th unsupervised pack-job, and my
first packjob ever on ZP (I can use the F word here but this time it didn't count cause I couldn't jump it
).

Wrong you still owe beer...Its a first.

I had to buy beer when I had my first skydiving girl friend...Oh wait I DID jump her:).

But I still say you owe beer. Sorry dude.

I got my new rig this weekend, but the AAD was OOD and needed to be sent in - and I'm still a few jumps
on my yellow card before I get my A - so the S&TA tells me that I'll have to wait till I get the AAD back or
finish my yellow card.

Hows this for trusting a student...My 13 jump was on my own gear and I didn't have an AAD or an RSL. They had them in student rigs, but they let me jump my rig.

And how about all of those skydivers that learned when they did't even have RSL's and AAD's?

Thats trust.

Oh, and REALLY roll that nose!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

When I was a student the weather was crap one day and I was being taught to pack by an instructor mate of mine - learning on his Stilleto 135. he reasoned that if I learnt to pack that, F111 would be no probs... After fighting for ages to get the bundle in the bag, taking it back out, s-folding it again etc.... I finally got it in although god knows where the lines were... He said no probs and that he'd repack it before we jumped again.... needless to say the weather brightened up later and we rushed to make a load - on the way up to altitude he leans forward to me and goes "oh shit... I forgot you packed this..." :) after all that it opened ok - canopies do indeed WANT to open ;)

Silly question - in the US you don't use the 4 line checks thingy?

I.e having a certified packer do line checkls at four different stages during the packing?

Maybe I am just misunderstanding something.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I've got a similar story from this weekend.

Craichead has been working on her packing lately, she's just shy of her 'a' licence. I've often told her that if she can pack my rig, I'll jump it. I've got still failrly new ZP, so it can be a bit of a hassle to get into the bag. Did I mention I jump a highly loaded Stileto?

Sunday, she got it into the bag. I had losely supervised the packjob, but was hardly looming over her checking every step.

I grabbed the rig, and jumped on a newbie 5 way.

Even though we broke the 5-way at 4.5, the newbies sucked at tracking. I had to do some "navigating" during my track to get clear, and I don't think I dumped until close to 2...

Craicheads first new Stiletto packjob opened beautifully on-heading, but more importantly BRISK! It was perfect because I'd gone low. When I got down I showed her how to roll the nose....

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Silly question - in the US you don't use the 4 line checks thingy?

I.e having a certified packer do line checkls at four different stages during the packing?

Maybe I am just misunderstanding something.

My wife calls all sorts of things "thingy" (no, not that... ok, well sometimes) and it often gets us into trouble as she's referring to one thingy and I think she's talking about another thingy...:P

So - what thingy are you referring to - I check the lines for cross-overs and tangles, but maybe there is another check I've never been shown...

TIA

- Jeff

Hows this for trusting a student...My 13 jump was on my own gear and I didn't have an AAD or an RSL. They had them in student rigs, but they let me jump my rig.

And how about all of those skydivers that learned when they did't even have RSL's and AAD's?

Thats trust.

My DZO's first solo freefall was his second jump. His first demo was his 8th jump. Things were a little different in 1962. :-)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

So - what thingy are you referring to - I check the lines for cross-overs and tangles, but maybe there is another check I've never been shown...

TIA

- Jeff

I think VonSanta means this...

When someone without a packing certificate packs a chute, there are 4 points where a check is done by someone with a packing certificate and signs it off. These stages are (for flat packing):

1) when the canopy has been sorted and is laying flat on the floor. The certified packer checks the lines and the brakes

2) when the slider has been moved up to the canopy and the canopy is a sausage shape on the floor

3) the canopy has been put in the back and is waiting to go into the container

4) the pack job is complete and the certified packer does a flighline check

"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"