Kramer

Pilots That Have Bailed

I always am curious when I see a pilot taking a load up wearing a rig. I usually ask the pilot if they've ever made a jump, or if they even know what to do if they have to jump. They usually reply with "No, and No".

So I was wondering if pilots have to go through any training whatsoever on learning how to fly a canopy.

Also, if anyone has any stories of pilots who have bailed...entertain us. (Provided they have happy endings).

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

A long time ago there was a mid-air collision at the DZ that I jumped at. The pilot got out and is still alive today. He didn't have any experience under a canopy, but he did fine.
When I worked at a DZ, we always offer our pilots a Tandem jump, just so they know what it's like under canopy. Some pilots have continued in the sport, while others have just done the one jump.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Ou principal pilot has a couple hundred jumps, both milatary and sport combined. Man can he fly a mean jumprun. I've seen Duncan jump, too and he's not too shabby there either. Have I seen him bail out and jumpa round? Nope, and I hope never to see it. that would spoil it for everyone, being a 1 cesna DZ and all :o

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Ou principal pilot has a couple hundred jumps, both milatary and sport combined. Man can he fly a mean jumprun. I've seen Duncan jump, too and he's not too shabby there either. Have I seen him bail out and jumpa round? Nope, and I hope never to see it. that would spoil it for everyone, being a 1 cesna DZ and all :o

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Almost all "bailout" rigs are eqiupped with rounds. No user input required once the canopy is deployed for a survivable landing. Of course, they have to pull that little handle to get it all started.....and it kinda helps if they know how to get stable in case they have the altitude to do it to better the chances of a clean deployment.

I've pulled duty a few times as a jump pilot, and I always wore a rig - regardless of type of aircraft. They were all side exit, though....if flying a tailgate aircraft, for somebody to take the tail off they would have to climb on top of the fuselage then launch themselves at the tail with sufficient force to take it off.....seriously doubtful. ;) A rig is not really necessary in those aircraft. The STC(Supplemental Type Certificate, something required by the FAA to do modifications to aircraft) on some jump door installations require that the pilot wear a rig while conducting skydiving operations. I usually wore my sport rig, but I wear an emergency rig when flying aerobatics.

Mike

Im a King Air jump pilot at Niagara Skydive and the condition of employment with all his jump pilots is that they do at least 1 jump. That was no problem for me as i'm all ready a jumper...plus i jump for free;)
The bail out rig is mandatory while flying the cessna but not required for the King Air.(i don't think you could get out of that airplane after the shit hits the fan anyway, just point your toes cause your going deep)B|
As for me i've never know of any pilot that bailed due to skydivers. Thought i might need it while instructors dispatch students. Seen a few bag drops out the door with the instructor asleep at the wheel...SCARY!!:o
I didn't wear a bailout rig on the Cessna at my other DZ for 2 years before that. Now i always do.

I always wear a rig in any side exit aircraft. If you have a rig on when somebody takes off the tail, you have a chance....if you don't have one on, you're just ballast. Some chance, however small, is better than none.

Unfortunately, at work, they frown on us wearing rigs in the airplane. The copilots give me funny looks, too. That's ok, it'd be hell to clear that left engine(or right if I go out the emergency exit) back on the tail if we're going very fast. ;)

Mike

A guy I work with is a former army pilot (as is everyone else i work with). He's got two emergency jumps (both in the 70s). One was from a beaver and the other was a bird dog. I think both were due to engine fires. He was the crew chief on both, the pilot stayed on board to land.

He said he got yelled at after jumping from the beaver because when he released the door it landed on a car. I think he said he jumped from 1500 that time. He forgot to tighten his leg straps before jumping. Said he didnt even feel it when he hit the ground cause he was in so much pain from the opening.

He later became a helicopter pilot. This guy has destroyed more aircraft than i can imagine. He's got a great story about taking down high voltage power lines with a huey, nearly cutting him in half.

Dave

A guy I work with is a former army pilot (as is everyone else i work with). He's got two emergency jumps (both in the 70s). One was from a beaver and the other was a bird dog. I think both were due to engine fires. He was the crew chief on both, the pilot stayed on board to land.

He said he got yelled at after jumping from the beaver because when he released the door it landed on a car. I think he said he jumped from 1500 that time. He forgot to tighten his leg straps before jumping. Said he didnt even feel it when he hit the ground cause he was in so much pain from the opening.

He later became a helicopter pilot. This guy has destroyed more aircraft than i can imagine. He's got a great story about taking down high voltage power lines with a huey, nearly cutting him in half.

Dave

Sounds like a pretty fun job :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

As for me i've never know of any pilot that bailed due to skydivers.

Then you haven't read my list of Jump Plane Accidents. There are serveral there that the pilot made his first jump ever on an emergency rig.

And then there is the case of the Caravan pilot at Nagambie, Australia who started wearing an emergency chute while flying a Caravan just weeks before a premature deployment ripped the tail off the plane. Anyone that says they won't wear it because they just won't be able to get out is kidding themselves. It just might be possible. You'll never know if you don't wear it. This pilot did. He was able to bail at approximately 1,500 feet AGL and get an open chute at or below 1,000 AGL. Never say never.

I think all King Air and Caravan pilots should all consider wearing an emergency bailout rig. I know that's a tough sell though.

Go take a read at the link above. You might be amazed. One happened just last YEAR
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I was a visitor at another DZ last year when I asked the Cessna pilot why he was using his emergency chute just as a back cushion. "If I need it, I'll buckle it up then," he said.

I've jumped at a DZ where the pilot didn't where a bailout rig, when I asked him what he was planning on doing if the aircraft was going down, he said he was gonna bear hug someone as they jumped out. Then he said they would steer for water to land in. I didn't really think it was all that smart, since if grabbed onto me, we would load my canopy about 2.8 or something. :o

MB 3528, RB 1182

I guess i meant to say, i personally don't know anyone who has bailed due to skydivers. I do enjoy your web site diverdriver and have read the accident involving jumpers. I still dont think there would be a chance to get out being at the front of the airplane with the door at the back when the airplane starts flipping around the sky and all thoses g-forces are pinning me to the dash.

How many big plane drivers wear a rig while tossing jumpers? (not including the caravan)

I still dont think there would be a chance to get out being at the front of the airplane with the door at the back when the airplane starts flipping around the sky and all thoses g-forces are pinning me to the dash.

How many big plane drivers wear a rig while tossing jumpers? (not including the caravan)

And that's what I'm trying to point out. There is a chance. This pilot had his tail ripped off completely and was able to crawl to the back, get the door open again, and get out. The distance from cockpit to door is about the same in the King Air as the Caravan. So I think the comparison is good. Is the likelyhood of it happening high? No. But, with any plane that has a low horizontal that can scoop up a premature deployment in the doorway you should wear an emergency rig.

As for how many pilot already wear an emergency bailout rig while flying King Airs I don't know. But then, you could be a trend setter and show the others whats what. Remember, it only takes one time for you to look like a genius for wearing one.

During the 300-way flights in December we all wore emergency bailout rigs and we're flying planes larger and longer than the King Air. If we had a midair and the plane was fataly crippled we might have a chance. Not wearing a rig may guarantee your fate.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Years ago, a Cessna 180 was flying at about 1800 feet, and the plane flipped onto its side. There was no door on the plane, and the jumpmaster was now looking straight down. He left the aircraft hollering "folllow me" and the pilot was the first to do so. The one remaining experienced jumper managed to get the staticline guy out and suggested the C & P jumper come after them. All cleared the planeand the Cessna righted itself into a glide....right into the trees.This happened at the Arthur Dropzone in Ontario.

The only other pilot I have talked with who left the aircraft, was Neil Armstrong, who ejected at treetop height.

I know several who left a/c during the war...but I dont think they count:ph34r::ph34r: