gatorbait

If you have ever rode the plane down...

I've been jumping for over 7 years and have less than 500 jumps, flying jumpers for about a year and 3 months with close to 1,000 loads. If I was getting paid to jump, the numbers would be a lot different I think.

--------
Benefitting from the 'free capture of verticality.'

Thread hijack!

Anyway, i'm sure my numbers are skewed slightly.
That's what I get for not keeping a super accurate log.....

But some days it was 8 hours in the cockpit, eating lunch in the cockpit (wasn't my DZO nice, the fucker) and after that I just couldn't remember everything...Ha.

My very first Jump I had to ride the plane down. It was in 1992 and the DZ I was jumping at then was still using Rounds (Piglet 23`s). On the load was My Father and I (both on first Jumps) and our Instructor who was also Pilot in Command. Pops jumps First (IAD Deployment from 3500) and lands dead center of the runway without executing a PLF under a Round. Landed flat on his ass. From up in the plane we could see that he was not moving and started to descend only to realize that we couldn’t land with him on the runway. Finally someone on the ground helps him off the runway so we can land. He claims to be all right so we go back up for my jump. After I successfully land my jump, we get pops to the Hospital where he stayed for a while with his 3 cracked vertebrae and fractured tailbone.

I'm a fairly new jumper. I have 9 jumps, 4 of them freefall. My 9th jump, my friend's 4th jump, we were up in a C-182 at about 1500 feet, and I'm sitting facing rearward behind the pilot's seat. I'm scanning around checking out the wings and the earth below when I see some mist flowing over the wings. Whoever fueled up didn't put the left side gas cap on, and we had to bring it down with 5 jumpers and a pilot. Landing was real smooth. A B-1 bomber pilot was flying.

I had my first ride down in that same 182 on Sunday at KSC. It was for my 5th jump... was going to be my last S/L. Only had 2800', rode around forever looking for a hole, eventually had to come down cause he said Lexington was complaining. They sent the plane back up with some experienced jumpers to get in a hopnpop, but they managed to find a hole to 5500'. Got to see a nice 3 way from the ground, then one of the guys had a brake line bust and he cutaway... first time seeing that. Good feeling seeing everything work like it was supposed to with the reserve :)

Clouds, stay away from Kentucky next weekend!!!
---
Michael Teator
Lexington, Kentucky

I am just wondering why? Sorry if my question offends anyone.

I have only 70 jumps, but had to ride down the other day. We got fogged in at 3000 ft and decided to land. I couldn't turn off my cypres so the senior guy kept his hand on my reserve, ready for it to pop, and told me not to worry about a thing. The cypres didn't fire.

Those guys are too cool.

Another cool thing was that I had my laptop and wireless modem with me, so I made lots of friends while we sat in the packing room watching live doppler.

[I was learning to spot (the door freaks me out),

The door used to really freak me out. Almost as scary as public speaking. I would almost get sick looking out. Once out I was having a ball.

On my graduation jump I did back flips out the door. That seemed to break the spell. Now I enjoy looking out, watching the exit right before me, checking my spot, etc.

Rode my first plane down last Saturday! In the Cessna setting beside the pilot at take off I notice a rather large trail of white stuff streaming from the wing. I notified the pilot and he immediately done a 180 degree turn back to the runway but hadn't touched down by mid way. I looked at him without saying a word. He read my mind and decided to make another go around. Fuel cap came loose! Could have been disasterous with one spark from the engine. Anyhow, back up we went, done a 2 way with a female doctor broke off, tracked and pulled at 3000'. Well nothing but a wad over my head, reached for the cutaways decided to shake the risers one more time and success! It didn't open until 1500' which is my personal mininum altitude. What a day!

p.s."gatorbait " that's what they use to call my girlfriends.

Gator

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

Tailwheel - "Man this threads getting more expensive buy the day.Now i'm up to two cases of beer. The plane in question was a Cessna 182."

Yeah..it sure was a C-182 (N5902B) at KSC...I was one of the skydivers aboard that infamous flight downward after a hopeless search for some cloudless altitude! One of the other skydivers was Skream! Hahaha - busted!

I didn't mind though...you landed us perfectly! :P

Did I hear someone mention something about some beer?? B|

Rylord
Kentucky Skydiving Center

I've ridden planes down with students who decided not to jump, or when the clouds made it illegal to jump.

As to educating yourself, there are several good books available to fulfill your thirst for knowledge. I hope you'll look at mine.

Blue, Clear, and Calm Skies!:)
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

not ashamed to admit that i rode the plane to altitude and landed with it 2 times. the instructor onboard asked me why and i said it didn't feel right, from there it was no more questions. blue skies

--------------------------------------------------
who Jah bless Let no man curse.

I have many of them. Check out the cover of the 9th ed. of PSH and you'll see they are there!!!

Is the 9th edition available now?

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------