BethUK

Subsidies for skydiving at uni!

Im not sure if anyone out there can help me, or has been in this situation, but I am at university and a part of the sjydiving society...however the society is skint and the student union refuses to subsidise the club on the grounds of the sport being 'dangerous'. Does anyone have any tips for me on how to tackle this, or know anyone whos been in this situation? I am very eager to expand our club, but without any funds its proving hard!

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Beth :)
------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't flying...it's falling with style!" Buzz Lightyear - Toystory 1

contact iain firkins - president of the BCPA. He has all the details you need
[email protected]
or [email protected] for someone who is specifically directed to sorting out just this problem.

Have the union do a risk assessment - Rugby ALWAYS comes out way ahead of most other things. At our uni, skydiving was the safest because of all our regualtions.

The other thing is make them aware that they do not insure you to do it nor have any reason to try. You get third party insurance from the BPA and there can be no legal liability for the union under any circumstances.

Our union gives us insurance which covers us for jack shit - it covers us to get to the DZ in a car/minibus - as soon as your on a DZ standard insurance goes out the window. Try lowering your bid - dont ask for susidised jumps ask for other help - they may just be penny pinching.

Also go here - they have a guide for starting new clubs and dealing with arsy unions: http://www.bcpa.org.uk

Come meet me and the rest of the BCPA at cark (i see its your home DZ) for the BCPA freshers meet between the 17th -19th oct. There will be loads of other universities there to meet and also get help from.

See you there

Here's a semi-related question, if someone wanted to START a skydiving society at their university, how would they go about doing that?

Go to www.bcpa.org.uk and towards the bottom of the main screen you'll see a link "setting up your own university club" click on it and on the next page are two links that are useful: 'Guide for new clubs' and 'Becs tips'.

Other than that, you could PM me and I'll try and help you out.

Will

>Come meet me and the rest of the BCPA at cark (i >see its your home DZ) for the BCPA freshers meet >between the 17th -19th oct. There will be loads of >other universities there to meet and also get help >from.

I thought we had not yet decided where freshers was to be held, it was still up in the air betwen cark and peterlee?