bbarnhouse

Make it a habit

Today we could have lost a friend.
It was so simple, should have been routine...
Check on the ground,check on the tram, check on the aircraft....
Fortunately for this lovely gal, someone else noticed...a mis-routed chest strap. Check your gear!!! And when someone offers a gear check...take it! It may, just save your life.
BB

Roger that! As an instructor I'm pretty thorough with gear checks on my students. That's also the way I was "brought up" at the dz with my instructors and even my AFF evaluators put heavy emphasis on the JMPI.

While waiting in the ramp area I always glance over peoples' gear. I've found misrouted chest straps and leg straps before boarding the plane, and those were on experienced skydivers! We also have a top notch ramper who checks all chest straps before they board.

when your sitting in the plane, you have a lot of time to glance around at the others gear......look for stuff like this.........last saturday at skydive oregon sitting in the otter I was glancing around at everyones chest strap and handles that I could see, one of the other jumpers was amazed that I was doing this.........

.......Ahem........of course I had to check the hot skychicks chest - strap a couple of times:P

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Today we could have lost a friend.
It was so simple, should have been routine...
Check on the ground,check on the tram, check on the aircraft....

It could be a routine. Why not formalise it and check that everyone's chest-strap is correctly routed before boarding the plane? Why risk the chance of somebody catching it before it's too late? This sort of thing shouldn't happen, but it does.

Glad it was caught this time.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

It could be a routine. Why not formalise it and check that everyone's chest-strap is correctly routed before boarding the plane?

Thats a good idea. The JM could stand at the door and check all chest straps of jumpers as they board.

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

As Im sure most people know, gear checks are compulsary here in the UK, but because they have to be done I think alot of people are half-arsed about it. Whereas in the US where its not compulsary if they are done they are done because people want to do it.

I have never heard of an incident of a misrouted chest strap but I have heard a story of someone at my dz not doing their legs straps up before they got in the plane (comfort?) and forgetting to do them up when they left.

Personally, I like to check the routing of each ring, loop, cutaway cable, aswell as check the legstrap/chest strap routing aswell as give the chest strap a tug. I have had 1 person say to me that you shouldnt touch peoples gear during the checks, but why not? Im not gonna exert more force than the opening would, and anything properly routed shouldnt cause a problem.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I have caught misrouted/open chest straps, cutaway/reserve pillows tucked under the harness, PC's halfway out of the BOC pouch, etc. several times. I couldn't care less what people think when I question their gear if I feel it's a safety issue....or if I'm just not sure. Most appreciate it, some don't.

I get people telling me my chest strap is misrouted fairly often, because of the way I route the excess strap. I am always happy to show 'em how it's routed, and that it won't come loose....it just doesn't LOOK normal compared to the way most people thread their straps.

Mike

I knew a lovely young woman who was married less than a year I think. She always left her chest strap undone because she had large breasts and the strap was uncomphortable while in the plane. I can't tell you how terrible everyone felt when she slid out of her harness during a sunset skydive with her husband and a couple friends. She shot tandem video. I heard that tandem masters knew of her chest strap not being fastened twice before..... It doesn' t hurt to check it... be ready to jump out of the plane before you get into it....

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana" -Groucho Marx- "Tom flies like a rock" -Tom Carson-