TrickyDicky

What order?

Im just wondering whether Im doing these things in the right order.

When I see I have a good canopy I check round me and stear into wind on back risers. Seeing its clear I collapse the slider then pull my breaks off (still stowed up to this point)

Just Ive seen people fire the breaks, let go of the toggles and then collapse slider. I would have thought keeping your breaks stowed until you're ready to fly is better cos you have less forward speed so less chance of collision.

Opionions?

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Collisions are avoided with the eyeballs, not the toggles. Most collisions happen with both pilots hands in the toggles.

Once you have a few more dives, you'll realise the order is always changing. If you end up with a "seek and destroy" opening, you'll be on the toggles 1st. On a deep spot, the brakes may stay stowed for longer (but not lower than your hard deck) etc.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

depends of situation... but usually I prefer not to let go the toggles...
should fly 90 degrees from drop axis till you see previous and nextgroup opening, then head towards holding area, and not necessarily into wind (I think)
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

My order is ALWAYS canopy open , clear traffic, find the DZ , collapse slider, then release brakes.....if I'm in a loong spot I want my brakes stowed to gide back....but thats just me!!

jason

I agree with the above post, but would elaborate that after I find the DZ (usually I know where it is), I then decide what my pattern will be to get back to my holding area in time. While I am doing all this stuff, I am steering back with harness input. I personally use r.risers to get back from long spots, and only fly in brakes if I am holding or setting up.
Troy
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.