atsaubrey

RIG QUESTION

I'm, going through AFF tomorrow and jumping a military rig due to my 300lbs weight. I'm curious if anyone could recommend a rig/canopy size for me after i complete AFF and get off student status. Does anyone no where i could get my hands on such a rig either military or not? I dont want to buy new so something used is what i have in mind. FYI the rig i will train on has 370 ft2 canopies. Prefer it not to be military since i've heard alot of DZ won't let you jump one because it is out of the "norm". (does that sound correct?) i dont see what the difference is, if i'm off student status and have a rig that is TSO'd for my weight. Anyone know of such a rig laying around that someone might want to get rid of?
"GOT LEAD?"

I don't know where you could get one used, but go to some of the major sites out there, a few of the big boys make military rigs.

As far as not being able to jump your TSOd equipment. I highly doubt that someone would turn you down. You may want to bring all the paperwork when you go to a new DZ as they won't be familiar / comfortable with the setup.

I can't help you with the rig info, but I just wanted to say that I'm very happy for you, and that you're able to persue your dream. I hope you make it a lifestyle and continue to drop weight, it sounds like you've done well so far. It's not as extreme as your case, but a month ago I was 273, now I'm 245 and dropping. Skydiving...hehe and skychicks are my motivation. Keep working at it bud, and enjoy the benifits :)

Don't worry about that just yet. Once you get close to needing to get a rig (towards the end of your student progression or after your student progression), then you can sit down with your instructors to try to find your best option.

If you're worried about it now, go ahead and talk to you instructors about it, but they'll probably just have you wait, so you can make a more informed decision.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

that makes sense...but my plans are to get thru AFF and do my RW jump all in the 3 days i'm at the DZ. They are really cool and are coming in tomorrow night to put me thru ground school so we can jump first thing saturday morning. they also will have a pilot on stand by so we can jump when the DZ is closed in case i dont get all my jumps completed. they are some awesome guys in moss point. they obviouly want me to suceed and are willing to make these kinds of arrangements to make it happen.
"GOT LEAD?"

they obviouly want me to suceed and are willing to make these kinds of arrangements to make it happen

That is awsome! We just got done doing that for a student that was in town from England for only a bit over a week. Due to his time constrants, we weren't able to get everything done, but we got him very very close to his A license. B|

In that case, talk to your instructors about it after the course and during your progression. I know that they will be more then happy to help you out.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Have you ever jumped before? Do you know how you're going to react?

Its such an overwhelming feeling... Every time I've jumped, I'd had plans in the back of my mind to do a second jump the same day... and then I haven't wanted to. I love the feeling of jumping, but it takes me a bit to recover from the adrenaline dump on landing, so I don't want to get back into the air right away.

This sunday(Oct 5), I scheduled AFF 2 fairly early in the morning, with hopes that I can do level 3 in the same day. However, if I don't feel totally up to it, I'm not jumping again that day. AFF will be there when I'm ready for it. If I don't completely feel like both my brain and my body are ready for a second jump, I'm not going to do it.

People tell me that it takes some time to get used to the feelings of free fall, landing, and everything that goes with it, and that everyone reacts differently.

Please be careful and don't push yourself to do it all at once if you don't feel up to it, and remember that there's no shame in saying that you're not ready to go up again.

And heck, if you can do it all in one weekend, awesome! I admire that, because I know there's no way in hell I could do it that way.

Best wishes!

-Kris

I did my aff in three days which I think really helped me because you get those first jump gitters kind of out of the way and can really consentrate on the dive your doing!!! I mena yeah you'll still have the gitters but then you can tell yourself "hey I just did this not 1 hr ago...piece of cake" and then relax a little more!! Not that that way is for everybody , but the people I've spoken to say its best if you can go right through it!!! Anyway good luck, have fun , and enjoy the ride!!B|

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

Prefer it not to be military since i've heard alot of DZ won't let you jump one because it is out of the "norm". (does that sound correct?) i dont see what the difference is, if i'm off student status and have a rig that is TSO'd for my weight.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chances are they were referring to antiquated, Korean War surplus round parachutes that have not been available in army surplus stores for the last 20 years.
On the other hand, all the military freefall rigs built in the last 20 years are just larger versions of sport gear. They may have a few extra rings for hanging rucksacks, rifles and snowshoes, but they are basically over-grown civilian skydiving rigs.
The only update you should have to make is sewing on a BOC and maybe a Cypres.