yukon8

Cypres 2 display failure?

I installed a new cypres 2 a couple of months ago and have about 60 jumps on a new rig with it. When I turn it on first thing in the morning, then make a couple of jumps with it, the display that reads 0 turns blank. I then have to go through the process of turning it off and then back on again to get the display to read 0.This happens every 2-3 jumps throughout the day. I called the company headquarters and they told that this has happened to about 10 units so far. They told me it should stay on throughout the entire day, even though the display reads nothing.I was then told to have it removed,when I can, and have it shipped in to have it rechecked, and they did not know how long it would take. I'm kind of mad because it's brand new and I only have one rig and not knowing how long this will take. Has this happened to anyone else???

I would demand that they replace the unit, not just chek it out.
Its not JUST about safety, its also about your peace of mind. If you dont have any faith that the unit is functioning properly that will definately take away from your enjoyment of the sport.

You paid for a new Cypres 2 not a "rechecked" unit that obviously didnt work properly.

Additionally, I dont know how many they have sold so far, but I'd be willing to bet that it isnt thousands.
10 malfunctioning units out of the ones they have sold so far is a pretty high number if you ask me.

Tell them they can either replace it or refund your money so you can buy a Vigil.

I remember an announcement (or at least a similar thread by someone who has experianced the same).

The "announcement" was to the effect that it has been noted that a number of Cypres 2 units have this problem. We are assured that the cypres IS on even though the display is inactive. Airtek appear to have taken the attitude that seeing as it is only a glitch with the display, they do not consider it a safety issue and therefore dont recall the units. The say they will operate fine, just that it reads as off.

Try getting one of these units to pass a UK flight line check and you will have dificulty though!

You paid for a new Cypres 2 not a "rechecked" unit that obviously didnt work properly.

What scares me is that if you do get it replaced, they'll probably resell the other one, after repair, as new. I guess I shouldn't say probably since I really have no idea, it just scares me that that is possible and you'd have no way of knowing.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

What scares me is that if you do get it replaced, they'll probably resell the other one, after repair, as new. I guess I shouldn't say probably since I really have no idea, it just scares me that that is possible and you'd have no way of knowing.

Both Airtec and SSK have good reputations and imho both are run by ethical businesspeople. They might resell such a unit as used but I highly doubt they'd sell a unit that had been installed in a rig for a few months and come back for repair as "new."

SSK does have units for rent while customers are waiting for 4/8 year service on their Cypres. I'd imagine if you asked you could get one to use while your Cypres2 is in for repair of the display unit - probably at no charge but don't quote me on that!

Both Airtec and SSK have good reputations and imho both are run by ethical businesspeople. They might resell such a unit as used but I highly doubt they'd sell a unit that had been installed in a rig for a few months and come back for repair as "new."

SSK does have units for rent while customers are waiting for 4/8 year service on their Cypres. I'd imagine if you asked you could get one to use while your Cypres2 is in for repair of the display unit - probably at no charge but don't quote me on that!

Try to contact Karen Dean at SSK, or Kai Koerner at Airtec. I'm sure they will help you.

;)

Yves.

I had the exact same problem with a new CYPRES 2 I bought this year. What I was told by SSK INC. is that some of the displays are sensitive to static electricity and cause them to turn off. When this happens the unit is still on and operational, you can tell because if you press the button the unit will turn off first.
By chance, I live very close to SSK and they swapped it out with a new unit and repacked the reserve for me within 4 days. The new unit works fine.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

I remember an announcement

From http://www.bpa.org.uk/safetydocs/Manufacturers'%20notices/Cypres%20information%20-%2012%20August%202003.doc

From: Airtec GmbH Safety Systems [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 12 August 2003 14:38
To: [email protected]
Subject: CYPRES information

Dear dealer,

we want to inform you about the described technical circumstances below.

Within the last months we had a few cases, in which the display was blank
after a jump, although the unit was on and functioning normally. We
investigated the issue and found the reason. It was electrostatic, that
influenced a small processor located in the control unit. The only job of
this component is to generate the figures on the display.

In all these cases, CYPRES was on and operating properly, only the display
was blank. This could easily be checked: First the unit had to be switched
off by the normal 4 clicks / 3 red lights, confirming that it was in fact
really on. Then the normal switch-on procedure, and the display was back on.

After researching we found the solution to avoid this problem in the future.
All units being produced now and in the future will have this update and all
previous units will automatically be updated during their scheduled
maintenance.

If anyone should discover this effect on his or her unit and does not want
to wait until the first maintenance is due, please feel free to send it in
via your CYPRES dealer. Shipping and update will be free of charge.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you and blue skies

Your CYPRES team

If a customer should contact you with an effected unit, please forward it to
us or to SSK and inform us about your shipping costs, so that we can settle
that.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Name: Airtec GmbH

---------------------------------------------
Airtec GmbH Safety Systems
Mittelstrasse 69
33181 Bad Wünnenberg
Germany
Tel: +49 2953 9899 47
Fax: +49 2953 1293
e-mail: [email protected]
---------------------------------------------

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

hmm,

got my cypres2 a couple of weeks ago... I've done about 10 jumps w/ it. So far so good. The display stays on.....

I don't think it's that big of a deal....if mine starts doing it, I'll send it in on my next repack cycle..

The cypres stays on for 14 hours.....I wouldn't bother turning it on and off after each jump just to see the 0 in the display.

If SSK says it's no big deal...I'm sure they are telling the truth! I don't think they would risk their reputation if it was a serious problem.

It would be a hassle it that started happening...
At least they will pay shipping and repair if you chose to send it in...

scott

Being able to see the "0" is more than just confirming the unit is on.

The display cannot show you any of the possible error codes if it is not 'displaying'.

I think I would turn it off and on if that was needed to get the "0". After all, it is impossible (so they imply) for the battery to get depleted before the 4 year maintenance.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am