Jumpsat14k

1st inconvience/line twist

Hey all, did my first coach jump yesterday, yea!! Also had my first inconvience, an up slider and mild line twist. Kicked out real fast, no worries. Great landing. Thought is, was "happy" to have had something happen that I'd not experienced yet and able to work through so smoothly. Rehearsed mentally the what-if's over and over, it paid off. Was sorta looking forward to my first problem, any similar thoughts? Blue skies to all.
Party like it's $19.99

Inconveniences can be pretty fun, as long as they don't result in a cutaway or injury...then they just suck.

Somewhere between jump 10 and 20 I had a pretty inconvenient situation. Somehow I didn't stow the toggles correctly so they both came loose on opening and tied themselves around my wrist and pinned my wrist to the right riser. By the time I realised what the heck was happening, I was in a hard right turn, not quite diving, but pretty close. I ended up pulling down on the left steering line with my free hand to level the canopy out. I held the line with my teeth while I untied the knot that was keeping my wrist pinned to the riser. I'm pretty fortunate that I didn't cutaway from that (with the SOS system), 'cause I'm pretty confident it would have ended up in a main/reserve entanglement. I ended up leaving a nice black "stain" from where the steering line had synched down on my black jumpsuit.

Had my first line twist, 20 th jump past weekend... It was almost fun (forgiving student rigs). Still dunno why it happened (stable body position at deployment). Anyway, I'll be more worried when I'll (maybe) have a stilleto + line twist.

"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil gets angry, Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset....people DIE!!!"

Know what you mean, I had a few pretty big line twists during AFF...always kicked out no probs. Although I didn't actually want them, I felt it was a positive thing to experience less than perfect situations whilst still under instruction, where every jump is being talked through and evaluated.

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

Geeezz AFF students complaining about line twists... :P
Static line students get line twists about every other jump when they are still hooked up to the dope rope.
but don't worry too much about line twists.. you can usually kick out of them no problem. (emphasis on usually)

MB 3528, RB 1182

I was thinking the same thing. I got line twists on all 5 of my SL jumps, from a few up to a good 8-10 twists at times. Only about a single twist on my hopnpops, and once on 5 seconds no more twists. After experiencing so many, I'd hardly call them a malfunction anymore... just one of those things you calmly deal with and move on. I don't miss them though ;)
---
Michael Teator
Lexington, Kentucky