Brian425

Advice on buying a rig for a newbie

I am not a big believer in renting thing. I prefer to own any type of equipment I use. I am currently an AFF student at the Ranch in NY. I hope to buy a complete rig sometime before spring.

Any advice on what to buy? I am 5'9" and 160 lbs. I figure I would be about 175 or 180 pounds with all my gear. I think a 190 would be about right to start. I am still undecided on whether to buy new or used. I have a rigger at the dz who will inspect anything I want to buy for me. I am only using this as a starting point. All decisions will also be run by my teachers.

I would like any advice or opinions on what I should buy. Also most importantly, the reasons why you recommend one product over another. Also is it worth it to by a cypress new or is it ok to buy used.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I am 5'9" and 160 lbs. I figure I would be about 175 or 180 pounds with all my gear. I think a 190 would be about right to start.

there IS A GOD!!!!!

Brian, you just made a very important step towards buying gear....knowing a canopy size that is appropriate for your level.

with that being said, i'd recommend buying used. there's no reason really to buy new. learn to drive a used car before you buy your new baby. :) used cypres too if you can find one. if not, then buy new. you can always remove it and use it in your next container. this investment is good for 12 yrs.

good luck!! :)
arlo

I am 5'9" and 160 lbs. I figure I would be about 175 or 180 pounds with all my gear. I think a 190 would be about right to start.

there IS A GOD!!!!!

Brian, you just made a very important step towards buying gear....knowing a canopy size that is appropriate for you level.

with that being said, i'd recommend buying used. there's no reason really to buy new. learn to drive a used car before you buy you're new baby. :) used cypres too if you can find one. if not, then buy new. you can always remove it and use it in your next container. this investment is good for 12 yrs.

good luck!! :)
arlo

:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

there IS A GOD!!!!!

What arlo said.

There have been more than a few threads here and in Gear and Rigging regarding new vs used for your first rig. Do a search in both forums; you'll find lots of opinions.

The only problem I see with used gear for you is the current scarcity of rigs with 170+ sq ft mains and reserves.

I weigh about the same as you, and got my license/gear this summer. A bunch of the instructors all informed me that a 190 is a good choice. I went with their recommendation and got 190 sabre (i love my sabre), and a 170 reserve. I also have a dolphin container (a lot of people on here may diss that one, but i love it, it's even free-fly friendly (i got mods done to it)). You may want a 190/190. I'd definitely look into buying used gear. If i were you, i'd definitly look at getting a cypress too. Just my 2 cents from another novice :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Don't buy anything new.

Please.....

That sounds pretty shortsighted.

I too would recommend byuing used as a 1st rig, but I wouldnt say dont buy new!

At 5'9" you have a good chance of finding used rigs that will fit you. But as Lisa said, larger ZP mains are quite scrarce. Dont let that stop you from getting exactly what you want in size (ie dont buy a used 170 because you couldnt find a used 190 and didnt want to buy a new one)
Remster

Arlo, I cannot guarantee the existence of God; but, I do feel that I have gotten some good advice from my teachers and I have tried my best to be a good student and learn from other people experiences and their mistakes.

I have hear quite a few good things about the 190 Sabre. It will make it on the woth considering to buy list.
Bubbles, what's good or bad about the Dolphin container? Now that you have it, is there something different you would have bought or some feature you wish it had? Are you going to be at the Ranch this weekend? I should be there around noon. Maybe we can meet up. I'll buy you some bad coffee in exchange foor some good advice.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Sabre 190 would be a great first canopy for your

Re used container choices... quick answer is that if you can still buy it new (ie that modle is still in production) then it will probably be just fine for you(just make sure it'll fit you and your canopies). There are likes and dislikes about all current rigs... but most are minor or stylistic and come with a counter argument by someone else.

If its not still in production then the answer is longer... some are just fine... some are better avoided. Search for comments on the model you have in mind.

Dolphins... well they're cheep... very cheep... and you get what you pay for. Many people like them, but most acknowledge that their quality is lower than others on the market. Modern ones will probably (from what I hear) be just fine, but still suffer from low quality materials (again so I hear).

perhap "many acknowledge" would have been better.

This I take from reading many similar threads on here that discuss Dolphins... on those threads there are a lot of people, (including owners) who say that Dolphins are not quite as nicely made as others on the market.

I don't know if really ought to use the term "quality" as I've not personally seen a modern Dolphin. I have seen older ones and they certainly do have crappy build quality and morover, are bad designs. As I said though I cannot comment on new ones.

The description I should give I guess is that I have heard warnings from others with first hand exp. For example I hear the material used on them is thinner than most and would perhaps stand up less well to a biff in - there's an account on here I can't now find where one was ripped.

hey brian,

my statement about there being a was an outpour of relief that somewhere, someone had enough sense and enough good instructors to encourage something safe for a change. Kudos to your instructors for steering you in the proper direction and kudos to you, brian, for entering this sport in a conservative fashion. Longevity in our sport is a good thing, although a lot of people's actions don't seem to reflect that. [:/]

dolphins: i put most of my first 400 jumps on one. mostly belly, some sit jumps. it never failed, never gave me any problems and served its purpose. i paid like $600 for a new one and used it to the point it was time to buy another rig (i wanted a javelin). the rig isn't as nice looking IMO as the other rigs...it's quite box-ey, but it it was inexpensive and it got me through the first few hundred jumps. resale value on a dolphin sucks, but i knew that when i bought it. no biggie. i loaned it to a friend after she finished her aff and while she was waiting for her new rig. the dolphin was used for her transition to a 150 and she never had any issues with it either. You'll get ribbed about it, but screw it. It'd be like driving a Pacer or a Gremlin. It will get you from point a to point b generically, but you're not gonna win cool points by the appearance. :P just remember everyone thinks that the rig they jump is the best rig on the market. :)
lisa was spot on about your size gear being scarce. you do have the most popular body size right now. just post a "wanted" ad under the classifieds and let the games begin.

whatever you choose, please continue to use the same head's up, intelligent thinking you have exhibited so far. sound like i'm making a big deal out of what you'd think would be common sense? think again. i think that a WHITE LIST to extend kudos to people using their brain and as importantly, instructors and DZs that look out for their fledglings should be formed. :)

welcome to our world, brian. :) it's fun here when people try to keep it safe. :)

arlo

Buy Used and big. Learn from your mistakes w/o killing yourself.

That is what I did.

You also have the luxury of being at a big DZ. Therefore you have more options to hands on equipment instead of guessing over the internet.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

I guess I am lucky in that I have enough sense to seek out good advice and them make the most educated decision I can using that advice.

I ride motorcycles. It seems that people are more likely to stick with the sport when they work up through a progression. I've seen too many people buy open class bike (1000cc) and end up hurt or unhappy. I've noticed in 16 years riding that people who take the time to really learn to ride seem to stick with it. When they progress from smaller bikes to more powerful bikes, they learn skills other than twisting a throttle. I still look back fondly at my previous bikes. Each upgrade was a small milestone in life.

I feel that my first rig will be the same way. I figure I'll keep it for at least 200 to 300 jumps. Then I'll move up. I know from past experiences, I will probably keep it for a long time and maybe never sell it. Most likely I'll just give it away when I find the right person. (I did the same with my first motorcycle - I got it back 2 years later in the exact same condition (perfect) and 12,000 more miles.)

Life is about fun and learning. If I could walk in and jump as good as the pros, I would not be interested in skydiving. It's more fun to see people work hard to improve. If something is too easy, then it 's not special. I will always remember the learning part. Some of the most fun in life I had was during the learning stages of any new activity. It's all so new and exciting. As the newness wears off, the challenge is to keep learning. The excitement is is seeking out people who can teach you more.

I may never be master skydiver. I can promise you all one thing, I will keep my safety and the safety of fellow jumpers at the top of the list. And I will buy my share of beer and barbeque.

Sorry this was a little long. Thanks for the advice, have fun and be safe.

1st Solo Saturday (if the weather holds up) and beer Saturday night!!

If you are serious about creating a "White List" add the Ranch in Gardiner NY to it. I do not have much to compare it to; but, I have had nothing but good experiences there. A big thanks to Nicky, Gabor, Pete, Linda and all the other great people at the Ranch.

The guy who invented the pocket calculator also invented the Sinclair C5. http://www.sinclairc5.com/

Just because the calculator was such a great idea didn't make the C5 a good design. ;)

Just moved to a Wings - again member of the same design team.

ahh, now i can't believe you'd disrespect SIR clive like that. Are you forgetting about the ZX80!!??? or how about Jet Set Willy, or Daley Thompson Decathalon (many a finger strain there)

you know there's a rumour that he wanted to cross a C5 with a FIBREGLASS RELIANT ROBIN. god help us all.

Even though he was president of mensa for ages he was still crappy at marketing :ph34r:

totally off subject i know but hey.