ChasingBlueSky

First Cutaway OR Why I hate Whuffo's! (Long)

cross post from talkback

Well, it was bound to happen. After nearly 5 years in the sport, 500 jumps and roughly 4000 pack jobs...I had my first chop this morning.

Rushed to the dropzone Saturday afternoon after working all day and made the sunset load ($13 jumps!!!) - I've known for a couple of weeks that my canopy is slightly out of trim with around 300 jumps on the lineset, but I had the brakes adjusted to spec (couldn't afford a full re-line at the time) - my Stiletto 170 (loaded at 1.5) made a slight turn into line twists upon deployment that was easy to kick out of.

I decided to sleep in this morning and walked into the hanger around 11am. Sarah wanted to do a two way (I would be belly, she would sit) and we got onto the next load. I felt a little weird all the way to altitude thinking about the opening I had last night....that nawing feeling in the back of my head should have been a warning. In fact, I was going to mention to Sarah that I would probably drop my canopy off for a re-line tonight if she thought the store could get it done by Friday....but she had her eyes closed.

At 10grand we all got up for gear checks and I practiced and visualized my emergency procedures three times.

The winds up top were hauling ass and we knew the spot was going to be long, esp since we were going to be out just before the tandems. Somehow we managed to funnel the exit but still had a great jump. I remember noticing that her main pin flap on her Mirage had somehow come open....I also noticed just how floaty she is in a sit!

During my track I reminded myself that the opening could be interesting and I made sure I was stable all the way thru deployment. Checked my alti as I was passing thru 3500, waved off, reached and pulled right around 3000. I let go of the PC, felt the risers come off my back and swung into the saddle evenly. I didn't even get a chance to look up at the canopy before I saw my left riser come into view and I was starting to spin. Looked up, saw at least 4 or 5 twists half way up the lines with the slider above the twists. I thought "no big deal" grabbed the risers and kicked. Nothing moved. Hmmm...try that again. Nothing. By this point I am on my side and the speed is increasing. Hmmmm...looked up and realized I was kicking the wrong way and kicked the other way ....oops, wrong move....I was now on my back in a violent spin and thought "hey dumbass, you are in the middle of killing yourself" and instantly grabbed both handles, arched and pulled. Nothing happened, and the handle was still there. I pulled without peeling! Instantly I had both hands on my handle and pulled with all my force....cha-chink and I was back in freefall doing a headlow backtrack watching my canopy and handle go away (I remember thinking "there goes $40"). Flipped to my belly with one hand on the handle and then pulled with both. I was still clearing the ripcord from the channel when I realized I was under a canopy again. I looked up and said - OH, it's yellow and had a good laugh. Stuck my handle in my jumpsuit, reached for my toggles as I looked at my wrist - I'm just at 1100.

Those PD reserves fly sweet! Picked a wide open field close to wear I guessed my canopy would land and did a nice PLF.

I turn around in time to see my freebag land in a field near a tourist attraction and notice a large group of kids running to that location.

I then went back to watching my main land ON TOP of Farmer McNasty's Barn roof. I chuckled when I saw that. I couldn't walk to the barn because of the large ravine in the way...thats when I saw someone from the farm next to me take of on a quad towards McNasty's barn.

The house I landed near was nice enough to let me call the DZ and let them know I was fine and where I could be picked up. Someone was already out there trying to find me and noticed someone on the roof of the barn and noticed all the kids.

Yup, the kids took my freebag (WTF are they going to do with it?) and I wasn't able to get it back.

The canopy wasn't on top of the barn anymore, so we went to where the quad came from - yep, this guy took it and was quite proud of it. In fact, he wanted me to pay him "several hundred dollars" to get it back. WHAT???? Are you serious? That's not even your farm, and thats MY canopy. You trespassed to steal? His defense was he wanted to make sure there wasn't a body attached to it and that someone paid him $250 to get one back last year. After several minutes of arguing as calmly as possible, he finally handed the main back over to me. I tried to shake his hand when I said thanks and he refused then bitched about how he almost broke his neck saving my canopy. I just kept my mouth shut and got back into the truck.

That was one very expensive $13 jump! Looks like I may not be jumping for a while since I can't afford both the repack and a re-line.

Oh yea - that was the riggers first save. He has a nice bottle of Jack coming his way this weekend, and there will be beer at the bonfire as well.

Yup, the kids took my freebag (WTF are they going to do with it?) and I wasn't able to get it back.

Maybe they'll think it's a parachute and try to jump off the roof with it. :ph34r: I'd be writing a letter to the editor of the local newspaper... sounds like someone needs to teach those little shits a lesson.

Glad to hear everything worked like it was supposed to.... well, everything but the main. Good job! :)
Beer! B|

Maybe they'll think it's a parachute and try to jump off the roof with it. :ph34r: I'd be writing a letter to the editor of the local newspaper... sounds like someone needs to teach those little shits a lesson.

Glad to hear everything worked like it was supposed to.... well, everything but the main. Good job! :)
Beer! B|

Thanks Lisa!

Haha - you know they will try to sue someone for that as well when little Johnny femur's himself.

Hey,,I feel for ya ,,but here's the deal....you gotta get the Police involved,,thats your property and it was a emergency procedure not throwing stuff out the window you didn't need. If a plane does an emergency landing in Farmer Mcnasty's field do you think he gets to keep the plane? I don't think so!!! Go get your canopy.........................wt
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

I did get the main back. I have no idea where my freebag went off to....there were just too many people to accuse.

The next step would have been calling the Police and waiting there for them.

yep, this guy took it and was quite proud of it. In fact, he wanted me to pay him "several hundred dollars" to get it back. WHAT???? Are you serious? That's not even your farm, and thats MY canopy. You trespassed to steal? His defense was he wanted to make sure there wasn't a body attached to it and that someone paid him $250 to get one back last year.

I would have explained to him the high cost of dental repair.

never pull low......unless you are

This actually has me really curious now. I can understand locals getting upset if you land in their corn field and take out a few rows under a main (when more likely than not it could have been prevented) but trying to extort someone who just had a cutaway... sigh, some people.

what kind of recourse does one have for getting their stuff back in a situation like this? is it just a matter of apealing to the person's kinder half (supposing they have one?)

As far as the main goes, if the guy went and got my main off a roof and brought it back to me without trying to hold it hostage, I'd probably buy him some beer for the trouble.

the kids? argh I'd rather lose my freebag in a swamp in south florida than know the only reason I didn't have it is because of a bunch of meddling half-pints

Ah hell....just got word from my rigger...

Looks like when the farmer took the canopy off the roof there was damage done to the canopy. The damage is on the bottom skin near the center cell, including an adjacent rib (jagged, tear-type holes), and on the topskin almost all the way to the right side as you look up at the canopy in flight (4 holes, all the same shape, where the fabric stacked on to itself).

Time to track him down and find out much money he's going to give to YOU.

As much as I would like to do that....my one little mal isn't a good enough reason to shake up the relationships with our neighbors.

Looks like when the farmer took the canopy off the roof there was damage done to the canopy. The damage is on the bottom skin near the center cell, including an adjacent rib (jagged, tear-type holes), and on the topskin almost all the way to the right side as you look up at the canopy in flight (4 holes, all the same shape, where the fabric stacked on to itself).

Welcome to the broken Stiletto club, Bo.[:/] Contact Donna Wagner at PD first thing in the morning. She's in their repair dept and is currently working on my broken baby right now.

Glad to hear that you dealt with your first mal in admirable fashion.B| If it had been me facing down the whuffo with my canopy I think the outcome would have been a bit less...civil. Good on you for keeping your cool.

I'll expect beer when we meet again over the holidays at Z-Hills.;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Welcome to the broken Stiletto club, Bo.[:/] Contact Donna Wagner at PD first thing in the morning. She's in their repair dept and is currently working on my broken baby right now.

No need to ship it out - Kirk and Eugene at ParaConcepts are great riggers and the store is pretty much a one-stop shop. As soon as I come up with the cash they will fix it for me. Kirk fixed my old Sabre 230 when I got line burn several years back.

Glad to hear that you dealt with your first mal in admirable fashion.B| If it had been me facing down the whuffo with my canopy I think the outcome would have been a bit less...civil. Good on you for keeping your cool.

Eh, oh....he knew I was pissed. And his attitude wasn't helping me...but I held it back because I didn't want to lose my canopy.

I'll expect beer when we meet again over the holidays at Z-Hills.;)

Maybe, after all I will have long paid off my debt by then :P

So Bo,
You need to borrow one of those Rainbo specials that I got laying around to keep yourself in the air.

Good job bud. Oh yeah, I'm familiar with temporal distortion thing, but did you really think all that shit in that short of time. :P

catch you later.
Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

So Bo,
You need to borrow one of those Rainbo specials that I got laying around to keep yourself in the air.

Not sure - trying to work that out now.

Good job bud. Oh yeah, I'm familiar with temporal distortion thing, but did you really think all that shit in that short of time. :P

Actually, yes! I tend to talk a lot during skydives and under canopy, so a few quick thoughts during those few seconds isn't that far of a stretch.