BMFin

Carryon rig

Ok, Im sorry I know this has been discussed too many times..

I just couldnt find answer to my question :

Someone at my DZ (whos working in an airline company) told me rigs are not allowed as carryon anymore. Is this airline specific ??

How about if you separate your container, main and reserve ? Can you carryon them ?

I dont have a cypres...

must be carrier specific. I always take mine, never had problems, except when the stowage was too small... I know that in Paris, they won't let you, elsewhere has always been fine for me
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Ok, Im sorry I know this has been discussed too many times..

I just couldnt find answer to my question :

Someone at my DZ (whos working in an airline company) told me rigs are not allowed as carryon anymore. Is this airline specific ??

How about if you separate your container, main and reserve ? Can you carryon them ?

I dont have a cypres...

Not true - I carried on just 2 weeks ago, both ways between ORD and ONT. The TSA guys didn't even ask me to open the bag. They were more interested in my shoes and the granola bar I had in my pocket.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No problem on SW airlines Houston Hobby or Ontario Cal. Except lost a small key chain pocket knife on the second time through security in H-town and a screwdriver in Ontario for my camera mount. They let me carry on my Jack knife that was in my camera bag. No problem what so ever with my rig.

It seems to be airport specific these days, in Pasco Washington you cannot take a rig as carry on.

But at Portland PDX its not a problem.... LAX...not a problem....etc.........I dont get it myself. The podunk airports seem to be the worst.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I have not had a problem with taking my rig as hand luggage when flying to Spain but I believe that it is unwise to try it when flying to USA as the security guards have no sense of humour and will start asking a lot of questions like -can you open the top bit up so I can have a look inside?

ADAM
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

It seems to be airport specific these days, in Pasco Washington you cannot take a rig as carry on.

But at Portland PDX its not a problem.... LAX...not a problem....etc.........I dont get it myself. The podunk airports seem to be the worst.

Roy

I had BIG PROBLEMS AT LAX TWO WEEKS AGO !!!!

I have carried my rig as carry-on about 15-20 times in the last 12 or so months without any major difficulties ....

However on the last trip from Auckland to Heathrow via LAX I had major problems first of all they (Qantas) didn't want to let me take the rig on board.

The various excuses used ranged from:-

"I've heard of parachutes EXPLODING on the planes and causing a lot of mess / trouble"

"Is that one of the ones with the EXPLOSIVES in it ??"

"The captain may not want you to have one as he doesn't have one himself"

"because I heard you say that your life MIGHT DEPEND ON IT (the rig) I'm not sure if we're comfortable with your STATE OF MIND !!!!"

(- I had just explained that I'd rather not jump a rig that the baggage handlers and TSA had abused out of my sight)

Eventually 2 hours later after talking calmly and rationally to the not very calm (or rational) baggage supervisor at Auckland airport and after getting the Qantas Duty Manager involved I was allowed to carry my rig on.

I then went through the same amount of hassle when connecting at LAX ...

"Do you have camping equipment in the backpack that we're x-raying ???"

"No, it's my sport parachute"

"I'm sorry we can't ALLOW THOSE ON OUR PLANES ..."

"But you have the last 10 or so times I've flown across the US"

"I'm sorry but I CANNOT ALLOW IT"

"Perhaps you could check your literature to see that it is generally allowed to be carried onto aircraft"

"I can tell you (without looking) that I HAVE NO SUCH MEMO"

"Well perhaps I can show you some paperwork"

"I'm sorry but unless it comes from MY HEAD OFFICE (TSA) then I cannot accept it"

"Can I get someone to fax it to them then???"

"I'm sorry they're closed today" - With a smile !!!

Anyway 1 hour later after several conversations and a phone call (or two) they eventually let me on the plane.

The bizarre thing was my rig was more of an issue than my 2.7m kayak !!!

The general rules seem to be

1. ALLOW PLENTY OF TIME TO CHECK IN

2. ALWAYS BE POLITE

3. STICK TO YOUR GUNS - POLITELY BUT FIRMLY

4. CARRY ALL RELEVANT PAPERWORK !!!

5. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR SUPERVISOR

6. REMEMBER THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOB.

7. KILLING THEM IS NOT AN OPTION !!!:P

I hope this helps .....