rjf98

Nationals why don't we re-organize the competition

Ok.. I've been discussing this at my DZ, and I want to hear some thoughts on what other skydivers think.

Why don't we run Nats more like a track meet?
Hear me out:
I think that in order to spark interest in the general public we need to make it more of a team event.. something where someone who didn't even know that much about skydiving could root for their favorite team. So SkyDive XXX sends competitors in 4 way, 8 way, 16 way, Canopy Formation, Freestyle, Accuracy, FF, Sky Surf. Their jumpsuits should all be more or less matching color schemes, or at least some sort of warm up suit that looks the same. Introduce the "teams" at the beginning and run the thing like a track meet. 10 points for first place through 1 point for 10th place, and keep a medal count on the scoreboard at all times. Now at the end of the meet, perhaps the big dogs have won 4 way, but that DZ that sent 3 or 4 teams that mopped up places 5, 7 and 8 has just as many points. It makes the competition bigger. Later down the road teams start having canopies and containers that have the same color scheme.

This is what American's like to see IMHO.

Please chime in. I'd love to know what you all are thinking on this and if there is any support out there in the general skydiving community. I don't have things firmed up in my head, but with some work I think we could put a proposal together to the USPA.

I know there are DZs out there that would NEVER be able to compete with places like Arizona, or Elsinore, or GK, but the olympics has small countries that have surprises and heart warming stories of athletes that overcome the odds to bring glory and fame to their country (think your cessna DZ here).

The Olymics are a event driven competition. The medal count is just something the media does to drive interst in higher ratings.

There is only one or two DZ's that send some one to compete in every event at the Nationals. I'd personally be surprized if there are more then 6 skysurf teams for all skill levels at this years Nationals. In the last few years they have'nt even gave away all the medals in that event. Hell, last year at the medals for the artistic events there were almost as many people on stage as there was in the audience. [:/] Unless you are competing the sad fact is most people don't care who wins the other events. After 4 way RW is done the Nationals empty out and most people go home.

Intermediate 4 way is where the real compition and surprizese are every year. The open teams are professional teams or have members that were gold medal winners in Advanced in the past. Its really hard to think that a throw together team would have a chance against the Golden Knights in the Nationals. The nice thing in Intermediate is a throw together team might just be able to beat a team that has been together for a year or two.

I mean most intermediate teams dream of getting matching jumpsuits, some Advanced teams are matched and most Open teams are... but to expect everyone from the same DZ to be matching? :D I can't even get two people on my DZ to order freefly jumpsuits from the same company, now they have to match too? :D

The World meets run closer to this since there is a more unifing factor in the teams (all members of the US Skydiving Team), but I see no way to do a medal count for the US Nationals.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Its really hard to think that a throw together team would have a chance against the Golden Knights in the Nationals. The nice thing in Intermediate is a throw together team might just be able to beat a team that has been together for a year or two.

My "throw together" team beat the Knights 2 years running in 10-way speed. Stood on the podium with Airspeed. Medal hangs on my wall.B|

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Your team was hardly thrown together a week before the nationals or even at the Nationals :P Also the 10 way is a unique event in that none of the "professional" teams spend much time practicing for it so its more of a level playing field. Your team probally had more practive in that event then the other two teams up there with you put together for that year too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Your team was hardly thrown together a week before the nationals or even at the Nationals :P Also the 10 way is a unique event in that none of the "professional" teams spend much time practicing for it so its more of a level playing field. Your team probally had more practive in that event then the other two teams up there with you put together for that year too.

I think you are mistaking my team for Roger Nelson's team - they made well over 100 practice jumps. I think we made only 35 last year. But you are making my point - events already exist where non-professional teams can be competitive.

...we need to make it more of a team event.. something where someone who didn't even know that much about skydiving could root for their favorite team

Ever hear of the Godfrog Award?! B|

Hey, Kallend...who's getting it -this- year?! :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Quote: I think that in order to spark interest in the general public we need to make it more of a team event.. something where someone who didn't even know that much about skydiving could root for their favorite team.

Quote: I think that in order to spark interest in the general public we need to make it more of a team event.. something where someone who didn't even know that much about skydiving could root for their favorite team.

Then why is Curling an olympic sport?:|

Then why is Curling an olympic sport?:|

Duguello 8/16 practices at my DZ all year long in matching suits and rigs. They do like 300 jumps a yr. in 8 way(that I don't think that have ever medaled) and half that in 16 way. They are great people, Jack Burke and Tom Jenkins!

Not sure about 8-way, but they medalled in 16 way just last year.

I think that in order to spark interest in the general public we need to make it more of a team event.. something where someone who didn't even know that much about skydiving could root for their favorite team.

I don't think skydiving will ever really appeal to the general public as a spectator sport because they will never be able to relate to it. Even with live big-screen footage of 4way/ 8way/ 10way etc, the public just won't 'get it' because a skydive, let alone a fast RW jump, is so far removed from their experience that they can't possibly understand the skill involved.

For instance - let's take skate-boarding, BMX, even synchronised swimming - people all have some experience/ idea of being on a board/ bike/ in a pool, so they can see that the stunts or moves require some impressive skills. Freefall is too difficult for people to appreciate.

Maybe swooping will appeal as it's so fast and immediate, but freeall - no. Not until tunnel flight becomes as widespread as say, kids getting on a board in their neighbourhood. And it's a lot cheaper to get into BMXing or boarding even at a low level than it is to start skydiving.

I don't think skydiving will ever really appeal to the general public as a spectator sport because they will never be able to relate to it.

You are probably correct, but I have seen a lot of tv commercials featuring skydiving.

The reason skydiving will most likely never be huge is because kids can't do it.

That's the total ticket in big money sports - hook 'em when they're young.

Skysurfing was closest in big money appeal because kids could relate to skateboarding or surfing. But then there was no follow through potential. If a kid was interested, he couldn't do anything about it until he was 18, went through AFF, trained etc. Too much lag time.

Swooping has potential. The action is immediately visible and speed is commonly understood. The trick is to find a way for kids to fly parachutes without plane rides, 100's of jumps and freefall. A ground launch system might be a good start...

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi