SkydiveNFlorida

Did I ask you for a gear check?

Dude, I can't check my reserve pin.

I know you can't. You should have asked someone you trust to do it for you. That's my point. You left the airplane unsure of the condition of your gear. You put your life, the life of those on the jump with you, and the life of everyone in the airplane at additional risk all because you didn't bother asking for a second gear check. Why didn't you?

Did you answer me when I asked if you would mind if I went fiddling with your gear? No, you didn't.

I thought I covered that in the post where I stated that I have had people give me gear checks, and that when I've felt uncomfortable about it I've asked someone else in the plane to double check my gear. Check my gear in the plane, I'll live with it. Screw up my gear in the plane, pay for your mistake. It's all good, I can jump another day and you can learn something.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

As a newbie I get alittle nervous when fifty people check my gear before I go out the door. I have only got 22 jumps and they have all been in the last thirty days and I get a little freaked when all of a sudden I feel someone pawing my gear without warning. Slap my back and say hey, let's check your gear. I can understand that, but I agree, that you should ask or forwarn at least. I understand that we got to look out for each other and I am greatful that 99.9% of us care about the rest off us. It says something about the sport and the people who practice it, but yeah, definitely do not start popping my flaps without telling me. Last jump I did I got my gear checked SIX times by six different people from 10,000 ft to 13,000 ft. All that flap motion was making me nervous, and the last thing you need before going out the door is to wonder if one them accidently messed up your rig. This can be avoided by saying "let me check you rig" and then I can say, "hey weren't you just watching, three other people did that in the past 30 seconds.":S:S

But what do I know . . . I have only got 22 jumps. We all know that means I don't know Diddly.;)

AMEN!!!....... I would have flipped if someone decided to handle my gear without my permission. If you ask its different, but without permission?? whoooaaaa.....badddd skydiver, no donut!

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Please, please do not come to any of the DZ we own if you continue to have this attitude!

You would not like us much! We do give "newbies" checks on all loads and many others! And you, my dear lady are a newbie! You may not like the title, but that is what you are.

Furthermore, you can not direct what a staff member or a DZ does for you as a gear check, winds, clouds!

Please let people check your gear, and do not be offended by that. Every DZ will care about you! Always remember they are doing the geacheck because they care about you!!!!!! .

83 skydives! Believe me, my little sweetheart, you are NOT as expirenced as you think you are!! Please do let expirenced skydivers take care of you so you can learn and take care of other nebwies that venture into our wonderful sport.

take care of yourself first and and LEARN, and then thake care of all the newbies that come into this wonderful world of our sport! WITH GEAR CHECKS!

Sorry to include this, but check out the incidents about the UK murder Have no clue, don't know if a gear check would have prevented this "murder". Possible? don;t know. Maybe not!

Gear checks are not bad any time for anyone at an

Always approach a gear check as a friend that cares, not as an invasion of privacy.

They only do them, because they care about you!

Lee

You may think you have a lot of skydives that make you qualified, and I am sure you are. However, never ever question people that are wiling to go beyond the call to help a "new skydiver in the sprot"

I also think you, as a newbie have a lot to add to our wonderful sport.

Don't be so fast to blow off your FRIENDS who are looking out for you, not o but ALL skydiversj iumping

I think it's pretty clear that a stranger yanking open someone's reserve flap on jump run is uncool.

So that's not why this thread has so many posts on it. The reason this thread has attracted so many posts is because of your attitude.

You're mighty cocky for your jump numbers and time in sport. Like Chuckie said, it doesn't matter who your boyfriend is. You need a LOT of humility for longevity in this sport. Simply judging by your posts, you don't have much.

Get a gear check. Make it from someone you know and trust, that's cool. Like I said, hardly anyone's arguing with the idea that a stranger ought not fiddle with your gear without asking.

But.

A systematic check -- BY SOMEONE BESIDES YOU -- is ESSENTIAL. And the more eyes and hands, the better.

Look at THIS.

Without a gear check, this guy would have fallen out of his harness and DIED. And it would have been at least partly my fault. This kind of shit happens all the time.

Be happy when skydivers watch out for each other. Cockiness is probably the most dangerous thing currently facing the sport. Chill out, enjoy yourself, and don't feel like you have to prove you know all you need to know and that you have psychic abilities regarding the state of your gear.

Cheers. :)
Skydiving is for cool people only

yep sure i may not be high school correct in the punctuation but most people can get the drift of what i am saying . and on the chest strap matter i started checking them a couple of years ago when we had a rash of people falling out of theyre gear because it was not routed right . not to check boobs or whatever else you might think. i look at everybodys male or female . so lighten up on that one . i have one friend who almost fell out of his . in the couple of years i have found about 4 or 5 and they fixed them .i have also found a boogie band gear tag around a guys pilot chute bridle that would have given him a pilot chute in tow (which is a nasty situation to be in ) . so you never know what can happen from time to time so dont be so eager in your young skydiveing life to think it cant happen to you . learn from others and dont ever ever think you know it all cause none of us do and never will . you will keep on learning your whole skydiveing life (and i hope its a long one ). once again just my 2 cents worth ( what ever thats worth ). i have been in this sport a long time and i am never too good to learn from someone else. so keep your eyes open and have fun cause this is a great sport full of a very careing family (that you are now part of like it or not )hope this is recieved in the spirit it is given in

I've caught two D licensed skydivers getting on an airplane with their chest straps misrouted. Both times I held the plane while I asked everyone if they checked their gear? Everyone said yes. Then I informed them that someone on the plane had a misrouted chest strap. It was a good thing that someone was watching.

never pull low......unless you are