SkydiveNFlorida

Did I ask you for a gear check?

Angela, fyi, I was refering to 50-100 jump jumper's attitudes. I have had a bad problem with that sort of attitude and have only recently really taken steps to fix it, BUT that sort of attitude is previlant in your average 50-100/200 jump wonder. The attitude that they know what their doing, when in reality they don't know what they're doing. This site is BAD about that with low jump number jumpers. I've been very guilty of this too, I'll be the first to admit it.

The more I learn skydiving, especially after picking up a rating, I've really realized that I barely know anything about this sport.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dave, fyi, don't assume that no one knows what is going on with their gear. I know how things are routed. I hook up different mains all the time. I've watched my boyfriend pack my reserve. I intend to do my next repack under supervision assuming I don't get too overly frusterated, lol!. So, just because someone has 50 jumps (ie, me), don't assume they are not taking the time to get to know their gear. Obviously, those who do take the time are the few rather than the many, but they are still out there:)

Hey, I know my gear really well too, and yeah, I know how things are routed. I knew it on the jump where my friend noticed my chest strap misrouted right before exit too.

Don't be so cocky -- I'm with you on the keep your mitts off my reserve flap thing, but everybody screws up once in a while. An extra pair of eyes can only help.

Uh...Sometimes I like to ask Jumpers if they would like to check my unit..huh..huh.....:D Especially if she is good looking..hah..ha...:D I understand your concerns. Remember this Sport is fun and everyone is just always trying to keep a safe conscious to all jumpers. Hell, I still most always like to get checked out Im never to good for Safety...;)
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

Dave, fyi, don't assume that no one knows what is going on with their gear. I know how things are routed. I hook up different mains all the time. I've watched my boyfriend pack my reserve. I intend to do my next repack under supervision assuming I don't get too overly frusterated, lol!. So, just because someone has 50 jumps (ie, me), don't assume they are not taking the time to get to know their gear. Obviously, those who do take the time are the few rather than the many, but they are still out there:)

Hey, I know my gear really well too, and yeah, I know how things are routed. I knew it on the jump where my friend noticed my chest strap misrouted right before exit too.

Don't be so cocky -- I'm with you on the keep your mitts off my reserve flap thing, but everybody screws up once in a while. An extra pair of eyes can only help.

Of course, now i'm considered cocky:S This is a constant on this site. I'm a cocky bitch. At least we've established that.

I've made it clear that I appreciate people looking at my stuff on the plane ride up, yes, i've had my cutaway pillow tucked before. I've had my reserve handle on student gear just hanging out. It is most certainly important that people look out for one another. Just because I mention that I know stuff about gear i'm cocky, tho. Ok, I know nothing. What is this purple thing on my back? I wonder which canopy is the main? :S

Sorry, this isn't entirely directed at you, it's just an overall annoyance that people assume because you say you know anything, that you feel you know everything. That is not the case. I do not think i'm invincible. Do not think that i'm not appreciative of people looking out for me. I'm also appreciative if you ask me if I want a pin check. But, the point here is ask first before you touch things. Looking is an entirely different matter.

Angela.

You have to understand that I did not ask for my gear to be checked and that no one has the right to touch me or my belongings if I do not ask them to do so. It is a violation! If I wanted a pin check, i'd have asked my boyfriend to do it. Or, if he was not there, and I wanted one, I would have asked someone. But, unasked for gear checks are like unasked for advice... just don't.

What if you don't get your pin check and your reserve pops in the door and takes out the whole plane? Or you are floating and it pops and takes out not only the camera man but everyone behind you? No one wants that to happen, and don't think that it can't happen to you! I can understand that you don't want a stranger touching your gear. IMHO you should have that reserve pin (and your main) checked before you get out of the plane everytime! My problem is you say IF YOU WANT a gear check. You should get one weather you WANT it or not. It's not just your life until you are safely out the door and clear of the airplane and other jumpers. So if you don't want a stranger to check you then have your BF do it, but please have it done every jump! The biggest violation of all is the careless loss of life that could result from your not WANTING to have a pin check! Plus, if you kill me my mom will cry!:( People who try and give pin checks are IMHO doing you a big favor and being good skydivers. Where does it say you get a pin check only if you want one?

Dom

Well, there is a such thing as personal property. And, my rig is my personal property and you do not have the right to violate it.

I can check my main pin myself. And, I check my reserve pin before leaving the ground. It is my choice whether I want you to check it or not. If you're scared you're going to be taken out by someones reserve, well, then maybe you should stay in the back and be last out because you know what, that is the chance you take when you get in that plane. You have no idea what is going to happen. Someone could very well get a pin check and still somehow catch their pop top on something and out comes a reserve. Shit happens, so just stay aware. You can't force people to get their gear checked. If you are jumping with someone or are doing camera for someone and you don't want to do it unless everyones gear is checked, you have the right to tell them on the ground and i'm sure everyone will comply.

jmo.
Angela.

Wow, that's a serious attitude.

If you're scared you're going to be taken out by someones reserve, well, then maybe you should stay in the back and be last out

I know a LOT of skydivers that won't jump with a jumper if they say stuff like you just said here...although its most likely not true, what you said can be easily perceived as a non-safe attitude. Remember, perception is reality.

Well, there is a such thing as personal property. And, my rig is my personal property and you do not have the right to violate it.

Ya know what? Screw your personal property. If I'm in the plane with you and have reason to believe that your personal property might kill you, me, my friends, or the entire plane and whoever it lands on, then I'm damn well going to check it whether you think you want it, need it, or not. Your right to have your personal property left untouched ends at my well being.

And, I check my reserve pin before leaving the ground.

Hop on over to the incidents forum and read about the kid who had his reserve pin checked on the ground.

It is my choice whether I want you to check it or not.

No, if I think it's going to injure you, me, my friends, and anyone else, you're getting a gear check, like it or not. Deal with it.

Skydiving is a sport of independence, but it's only through sticking together that we're able to survive.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I'm just making a point. You can't force everyone to do gear checks. And, shit does happen in this sport. I do try to be safe. I do check my reserve pin before leaving the ground. I do check my main pin in the plane. I look around at other peoples stuff, too. I do my best to stay safe. Still, If I do not want you to check my gear, you are not welcome to check it. I don't think that's an unsafe attitude. In fact, seeing as though I don't know this person, it is a pretty safe attitude to me. I was infinitely nervous after this person had checked my gear. My thoughts, is it closed properly, will it come out in sit fly, did he move my pins? I wouldn't have had to worry like this if he'd not violated my gear.

Angela.

The last person I sat next to who decided against a gear check in the plane ended up with the main bag dropping on the floor and going out the door. They were absolutely certain that their gear was fine. Please find someone you trust on the airplane.

I do believe you should feel free to decline a specific person's offer, but I think you should be able to find someone you trust.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I wouldn't have had to worry like this if he'd not violated my gear.

You wouldn't have had to worry like this if you'd simply asked another experienced jumper to recheck your gear either. There had to be at least one person in that plane who you trust, right?

-
Jim

Ya know what? Screw your personal property. If I'm in the plane with you and have reason to believe that your personal property might kill you, me, my friends, or the entire plane and whoever it lands on, then I'm damn well going to check it whether you think you want it, need it, or not. Your right to have your personal property left untouched ends at my well being.

And, I check my reserve pin before leaving the ground.

Hop on over to the incidents forum and read about the kid who had his reserve pin checked on the ground.

It is my choice whether I want you to check it or not.

No, if I think it's going to injure you, me, my friends, and anyone else, you're getting a gear check, like it or not. Deal with it.

Skydiving is a sport of independence, but it's only through sticking together that we're able to survive.

-
Jim

No, you're not! You have no right to do so. You can ask me to check my gear, and if I trust you, i'll let you check it. Until then, don't ! Who the hell made you God? You want me pulling your reserve flap opened because I feel like checking it? I'm sure you don't, do you? If you say you do, then you're probably lying.

Angela.

I wouldn't have had to worry like this if he'd not violated my gear.

You wouldn't have had to worry like this if you'd simply asked another experienced jumper to recheck your gear either. There had to be at least one person in that plane who you trust, right?

-
Jim

Point taken, yes, there was, and if I were that worried i'd have had someone else look instead of simply feeling my pin and making sure my flaps were closed.

However I still do not agree that he had the right to check it.

Angela.

The point is that from what it sounds like from your posts, you don't get gear checks at all in the plane before leaving. I can understand having someone randomly checking your gear would upset you, it would annoy me for sure, but seeing how when possible I get people to check my pins for me before leaving the plane, then its a non-issue.

I ask a jumper on the load that I know and trust, or one that atleast looks like they're not the FNG to check my gear. The only times I have problems with that is doing tandems (YOU try doing a pin check on a tandem in a 182:P) and depending on where I sit in a 182 (some are really hard to check pins from).

and if I were that worried i'd have had someone else look instead of simply feeling my pin and making sure my flaps were closed.

Only a few minutes ago you said that you were indeed worried. Tell me again, why didn't you ask someone you trust for a gear check?

-
Jim

This must be a first but I agree with you.....

Surest sign I've seen that All Hallows Eve is upon us. Dogs will be sleeping with cats next.

If someone wants to give me a gear check I better trust them. If someone 'thrust' a gear check upon me, then I'm getting rechecked by someone I trust - problem solved. I usually get checked twice before getting on the plane and once in the plane.

But I consider myself the biggest idiot on the DZ so what do I know.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

you really just have to let people know that if they muck around with your flaps without saying something first, that it makes you uncomfortable.

If you can tell the person directly, fantastic. If you tell someone at the manifest counter, fantastic.

Maybe one of your flaps had come undone on your reserve and he just wanted to check the pin before fixing it. Sure he should say something first, but if you'd ask him what he was doing he could have told you. I guess we'll never know now.

It's unfortunate that this (and some of the other threads you've had, think: line twists) have turned into heated arguements as they are often about really good points B|

I agree 100% with you. Recently someone did that to me. It made me feel so uncomfortable with my gear on that jump. If someone asks me, perhaps it would be different, but to just start playing around with my rig without a 2nd thought? What's that all about. I agree with visual checks, but one of the first things i learned when i was a student, was NOT to touch other people's gear. Maybe some other skydivers should learn that too.
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

and no you are not welcome to check my gear.

At what point is your gear worth more than my life, or yours?

If I had a way to keep you out of my threads i'd do that, too.

Yeah, it's really too bad you can't, huh? By the way, I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question. If you were worried (and you admit that you were) why didn't you ask a jumper you trust to recheck your gear?

Edit: I do want to clarify something. I'm not advocating that everyone get on the airplane and start pawing everyone elses gear, that's uncalled for and dangerous. However, if you're on the plane in front of me and I happen to notice something wrong I WILL do what I can to fix it. Usually I'll tell you what I'm doing, and why.

-
Jim

and no you are not welcome to check my gear.

At what point is your gear worth more than my life, or yours?

Never said that, now did I? I just said that you have no right to touch my gear. And, I maintain that you don't. If you feel i'm in need of a gear check, you can request that I get one. If I do not comply, well, there's not a whole lot you can do about it, my gear, lay off ! Guess you sit on the ground on those loads where the plane small/packed that there is no way to perform gear checks, huh? :S

If I had a way to keep you out of my threads i'd do that, too.

Yeah, it's really too bad you can't, huh? By the way, I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question. If you were worried (and you admit that you were) why didn't you ask a jumper you trust to recheck your gear?

-
Jim

none of your fucking business, that's why!! (I don't get this much shit from my own father). If I felt the need to answer your question, i'd have done so already.

:D
Angela.

i know in my recent runin with this same type of situation, i did ask someone, and they did check it, but there was still something on my mind that there could have been something wrong. You really wouldn't mind if someone just randomly came up to you, while doing something else, and start touching your rig? More power to you i guess, i have a problem with people doing that to me. It makes me feel real uncomfortable.
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM