Nullified

State Records

I believe a state record should include 100% of the people who have the talent and experience for the jump.

Michael

Just curious what people think.

When setting a state record, do you think that there should be any minimum percentage of locals participating in the attempt?

And I understand that a lot of people who jump at DZs aren't necessarily residents of that state, so please elaborate on what definition of "Locals" you believe to be appropriate.

Thanks and stay safe,
Mike

for example, last April Flyangel and I were both on the 2 point 120 way at Z Hills. This was a "World record" sequential skydive

I'm ok with World Record attempts, but most of the participants must be from here. ;)

Funny, I thought Guy allowed you on it. :)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My experience in Big Ways... minimal at BEST.

But it's going to get to the point in size that local jumpers and talent aren't going to be able to handle it.

That's my point. I think the proper solution to this is for those local jumpers to take the time to train the local talent to break the record. Sure we can say that the state record got big quicker by doing it with outside talent, but where is the bigger reward? What if Texans can say that their biggest is 125. So what if it takes 5 years to get to 130. If it's local talent that they grew then THAT is the biggest accomplishment.

I love traveling and jumping big ways. Getting a record at the end of the event is icing on the cake. I traveled to a number of events this year, and only walked away with three new records. If records were my first concern, then I wouldn't be traveling.

I knew you were a skydiver with goodness at heart:)
My thing is this. If nailing the big way is what you are really there for then take it as it is and let the records be captured in time. Build up that jumper base and get the CO record bigger... in time. The reward will be that much sweeter.

I think I'm with Mar on this one.

From personal experience, If someone is not qualified, even if they are a local, they should not be on the jump. But if the organizer knows people from neighboring states who are qualified, what's wrong with inviting them to be on the jump?

State records are also EXCELLENT PR for the dropzone, and if you play it right, you can get a lot of media coverage, sponsorship and other support from the local community.

Let me spin a tale of the most recent New Mexico state record attempt. Our current State record is a 13-way (yep, you saw that right). We were going for 22 (conveniently, one full otter load).

1. We are the only DZ in the state, and we have one Cessna 182. So the locals who don't travel much have very little big-way experience.

2. One of our locals is a big-way organizer who travels elsewhere to do his job.

3. We scheduled an otter. The LO chose the locals he thought were qualified, then filled out the 22 by inviting people from CO, AZ, and TX. He had to. We don't HAVE 22 qualified people. We probably don't even have 15. NM is interesting, I think it's a cultural thing, but most people here don't spend a lot of money on things they see as "frivolous" or "extra". So...not a lot of skydivers.

4. We lined up sponsorship from some local companies and some gear manufacturers, which allowed us to have some great door prizes (ProTrack, 50% off a new rig, etc). Our plane owner is also one of the senior reporters at one of the local stations so we were guaranteed local news coverage. We're also lucky to have a local who knows just about every manufacturer in the sport.

5. The attempt failed. The people who have hundreds of 4-way, tandem and coach jumps weren't able to hack it, and due to not wanting to hurt feelings (and lack of depth of talent), cutting wasn't considered.

6. But we still got great press! And there are still poeple who come for tandems that mention the news story they saw a year ago about skydiving and they have wanted to try it ever since.

We're trying again next year, but with better planning and preparation. You use what you have, buit if it isn't enough, as long as the effort is there to include locals, I see no problem with bringing in out-of-state people to fill in the gaps.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

My thing is this. If nailing the big way is what you are really there for then take it as it is and let the records be captured in time. Build up that jumper base and get the CO record bigger... in time. The reward will be that much sweeter.

What is your idea of a "big way"? For me a big way is anything over 100 jumpers. I guess it's because I'm use to doing those kind of jumps. Do you really want me to wait till there is enough local talent in the state of Colorado to do a "big way"? Gee......I may need a wheelchair to get out to the mail if that's the case.

BTW, Thanks Andi for the support. When you are all ready to break that New Mexico record, give me a call. Oh wait, I'm not from there. Oh wait again, you were on the Women's Colorado State Record, and you don't live here. What's the world coming to?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

***BTW, Thanks Andi for the support. When you are all ready to break that New Mexico record, give me a call. Oh wait, I'm not from there. Oh wait again, you were on the Women's Colorado State Record, and you don't live here. What's the world coming to?

Don't take this so personally. I've tried very hard to be clear that I'm not attacking or criticising anybody.
The way I see it, Womens record participants are women, POPS records are POPS, deaf records are deaf, and State implies that it's representing local ability.
Flyangel2, whatever you do and wherever you do it, best wishes.

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

I don't think you ought to wait around to do a big way... I don't think you ought to be able to CLAIM a "sate record" if there isn't a certain percentage of locals on the jump. Go do big ways anywhere you want... have fun with it. Just because you got 100 people out of an airplane doesn't mean it's a record. Record attempts should be special. A STATE record loses part of what makes it special if it doesn't have a large representation of THAT states local talent.

Where did you get the impression that I was saying anything else?

I don't think you ought to wait around to do a big way... I don't think you ought to be able to CLAIM a "sate record" if there isn't a certain percentage of locals on the jump. Go do big ways anywhere you want... have fun with it. Just because you got 100 people out of an airplane doesn't mean it's a record. Record attempts should be special. A STATE record loses part of what makes it special if it doesn't have a large representation of THAT states local talent.

Where did you get the impression that I was saying anything else?

That's still too easy. Participants should have been born and raised in the state as well as being current residents.:P In fact, I think anyone who ever left the state even for an hour should be disqualified.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Let me spin a tale of the most recent New Mexico state record attempt. Our current State record is a 13-way (yep, you saw that right).

wow. Where do you find out information like this? Is there a site? or, would anybody happen to know the state record for kansas?

MB 3528, RB 1182

Well I would think that the definition of a resident would have been an understood among reasonably educated persons. I don't know... maybe the same requirements that the state uses to determine residency:S.

This has degenerated from a reasonably educated conversation and debate about the merits of what constitutes a record.

Participants should have been born and raised in the state as well as being current residents.

In addition, participants should all have done their student training at the dz the record attempts are being held at.

Why did you leave out having been sired along side the fire pit at the particular DZ in the particular state?

I see what this has turned in to. And to think, I thought that...you...liked me...you REALLY...liked me.

I say abolish big-ways altogether. Let's end skill discrimination.

Can we all at least agree that fountain Cokes are the best?

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.