misterhand

jumping with tandems question

Most people I know who've done tandems told me that they didn't really notice the view on their first tandem - they were just too spaced out by the speed, noise, and the thought of what they'd just done.

Therefore lurking the tandem when you are inexperienced is not only dangerous to 2 or 3 people besides yourself, if you're doing it to give a relative a thrill, they might not even notice it, so it really isn't worth the hassle.

If you want to share a family member's/friend's experience (and you have their permission as well as the TM and cameraman), just exite before them. Stand in the door, facing in, and fall out backwards. They'll see you skydive, and you'll see them skydive, with the assurance that the TM will give ample time after you exit. Sorted.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Most people I know who've done tandems told me that they didn't really notice the view on their first tandem - they were just too spaced out by the speed, noise, and the thought of what they'd just done.

I have probably taken 15-20 people on Tandems and lurked/videoed/docked on all of them. All these after about 350 to 400 jumps. Almost every one of 'em does recall the skydive, seeing me there, and remembers a good portion of the skydive. On my first jump/tandem, I remember everything very vividly. The plane, jumpmasters, what I was wearing, seeing my buddy jump, the climb to the door as I tried to pull my instructor out, the jump and the canopy ride.

BUt that said, there are those out there who remember nothing.

In any case a few hundred jumps would be the time to think about lurking, not a few dozen.

--->>BUt that said, there are those out there who remember nothing.

*--> I was camera on a tandem video where the woman never saw me... I was within 3 feet the whole dive.......its amazing that the mind can block stuff.......

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Look- The bottom line is that going out with a tandem is not up to anyone except the TM. There are some pretty strict guidelines set by the manufacturers on going out with a tandem as far as number of jumps and such, and ALL of them require the permission of the TM.

There are alot of other ways to entertain yourself in skydiving then lurking tandems. Tandems are for the passenger alone and not there for the amusement of lurkers, video guys, or even TMs. It is a serious jump and should be treated as so. Tandems are a blast for me, and so is doing video, btu I always try to remember that it is not for my entertainment and I have an important job to do. I certainly don't need to worry that someone might be lurking us! The only person I will allow to be with me is someone who I trust and know their abilities and meets all the requirements. And they won't be 'lurking'. They will be right where I can see them and track off at a preset altitude and it will all be very planned and rehearsed. Plain and simple.

Actually, I usually ask the student if they're OK with it as well. I've had tandem students say no when I've asked if friends I trusted wanted to drop in, and I try to respect that, no matter what the reason. It's theirskydive, I'm just there to make it happen for them.

I've also gotten more cautious even with people I've trusted implicitly in the past, based on how they actually perform in the air. Fall rates and burbles on tandems can vary greatly, and it's caused some near-collisions on a couple recent jumps from smaller, talented people who had problems keeping up with the fall rate. And if they can't understand simple things like "you're outta here at 7K", they're not coming with me again either.

Iceman
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

There are strict rules in Australia about who can jump/dock with a Tandem. Main regulation is that you have to be very current, i.e. a minimum of 200 RW (!) jumps within the last 12 month plus D license I think plus the TM, DZSO, CI etc. have to approve in each case....

I have been told that the key issue in regard to safety is that the Tandem is "all over the place", i.e. moves a lot around "in space" and the TM is not in total control due to the possible movements of the pax.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.